• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R18 cruiser

I'm sorry - the touring model is just plain ugly! What are they thinking over there in Deutschland?

But then again - beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Why would they make something like this? Did they observe what is happening to HD and cruisers?

Looks ok to me. I have liked the big front end and the three lights up front.

R18_riding7.jpg

Should be a hit with the younger crowd.......before bmw ages out :whistle

OM

looks like bmw is trying real hard to make a bike that you can't tell is not a Harley......it is not just a "cruiser", it is a Harley wannabee. yuck.

Last edited:
That position won’t sell well with cruiser riders. IMHO, if BMW really wants to make inroads into the cruiser market they would be better served by recognizing that the boxer motor is just not a good fit for the cruiser platform. BMW should focus on the K16 bagger for the big-cruiser buyer then introduce a affordable “starter” cruiser based upon the F-twin engine, which would allow for a traditional cruiser riding position.

I support BMW broadening it’s market base, since every Deutschmark of profit there helps subsidize the production of bikes we really like, but I fear the R18 as shown below will be a dud in the marketplace. Rule #1 is build what the customer wants, and cruiser buyers don’t want their knees folded up in front of them.

Best,
DeVern

R18_riding7.jpg

I see nothing wrong with BMW fleshing out their model line-up to attract riders who may not be interested in the current models offered.

As an example, as a Corvette owner I might have zero interest in a Chevy mini-van but I don't begrudge Chevrolet for building them. If this bike is actually produced no one is twisting your arm to buy it. :laugh

I see nothing wrong with BMW fleshing out their model line-up to attract riders who may not be interested in the current models offered.

I agree.
BMW already has the R1800 so it makes sense to have several models based on the same platform.
No different than the R1250R, R1250RS, R1250RT, R1250GS, R1250GSA and maybe some day a R1250S.

But, but, but, if I don't like it nobody should like it. It isn't fair if somebody likes something I don't like. It just isn't fair! :banghead:banghead

Not my cup of tea, but I hope it sells well. In fact, I hope it sells so well that BMW has to open additional U.S. dealerships just to process the additional business.

E.

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter whether or not existing BMW owners like it, or don't like it. The question is, will the normal cruiser buyer like it?

This bike is different than all others in the BMW lineup, it doesn't lend itself well to add-on model development like the R9T either in layout or in engine & performance characteristics. Certainly the R18 is an important "look what we can do" design and development exercise, and BMW has produced such exercises in the past. They will sell a number during the first year or two to current BMW owners who want to taste the cruiser experience. But as a production model expected to carry it's weight in competition with H-D, Indian, etc? I am curious as to how many other non-V-twin big-bore cruisers, besides the K16, have been successful in the cruiser marketplace. I still expect the R18 will walk the same sort of path as the R1200C-- some movie placements to build identity and interest, an initial surge of sales to current customers and a relatively small array of conquest sales, then quickly tapering off to discontinuance of the model. But, as long as the ones they do sell are profitable and helping to subsidize other bikes or motorrad products, I'm all for it.

I can't wait to see the eruption in the forum when BMW introduces a trike model... :)

Best,

DeVern

Last edited:
..... I still expect the R18 will walk the same sort of path as the R1200C-- some movie placements to build identity and interest, an initial surge of sales to current customers and a relatively small array of conquest sales, then quickly tapering off to discontinuance of the model.

I beg to differ. :)

At the risk of offending some, the R1200C was one of the ugliest motorcycles ever produced - by any manufacturer. BMW learned their lesson and the R18/2 is, in my most humble opinion, a very attractive cruiser bike. I predict steady and impressive sales numbers. Even, perhaps, to those current BMW owners who also own Harley cruisers.

Bring on the trikes! :laugh

Back