• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oilhead vs. Airhead - what are the differences?

There is good reason race bikes (where feedback is critical to the rider) don't use telelever..

And there is good reason touring bikes aren't used as race bikes.

To me the telelever makes so much sense from a purely mechanical standpoint that it remains one of several reasons I've continued to ride BMWs since it was introduced. BMW recognizes it’s not suited for ultra-high performance machines (S1000RR) but for real world, high mileage touring it works just fine.

Honda must see some advantages by using a version of it on the new Goldwing.

Additionally, after almost 20 years of having read people complain about lack of "feedback" I have to wonder if they would know what feedback was if it slapped them in face. If somehow I'm missing it while on my S,R or RT its fine with me.

Additionally, after almost 20 years of having read people complain about lack of "feedback" I have to wonder if they would know what feedback was if it slapped them in face. If somehow I'm missing it while on my S,R or RT its fine with me.
I've tested an RS and an RT recently. The rides were about an hour and a half each and on everything from highways to twisty hilly roads. I didn't like the RT's feel. It was vague in my opinion. I felt like I was disconnected from the front end.

The RS on the other hand, felt great, confidence inspiring.

I've tested an RS and an RT recently. The rides were about an hour and a half each and on everything from highways to twisty hilly roads. I didn't like the RT's feel. It was vague in my opinion. I felt like I was disconnected from the front end.

The RS on the other hand, felt great, confidence inspiring.

I have R1150RT and an R1150GS. The GS runs circles around the RT. The GS is pleasure in the twisties, the RT is work.

Hi Paul, if given that choice I'd take a brand new '69 VW bug to a vett but I'm kind of a Ford guy anyway.:)

I know what you mean HW when you talk about that handful of throttle. Get on an FJR and you'll just go bonkers. The bike I'd like to own would be a new european FJR with the clutchless paddle shift. You can open the throttle to wide open then just fan the paddle and up she goes and smooth as glass. Man, would I like to get my hands on one of those and it even has electronic suspension. Would I throw my RSL into the deal? Nope!

Also, because of BMW's track record with transmissions I would have some concerns with a new wethead with its wet clutch and integrated transmission. Talk about an expense were there a trans problem off warrantee. Then we have the final drive history and then we have the cost of little things like the first service. BMW dependability is not rated very highly by many so take it from there. I tend to keep cars and motorcycles a minimum of 10 years so reliability weighs heavy on my buying decisions. My RSL was built in 06/93 with an M93 transmission which was rapidly replaced several months later by the M94 which soon proved to have its own issues, just the way BMW operates. It took how many years to finally perfect the airhead transmission? At least until around 1985.

Last edited:
And there is good reason touring bikes aren't used as race bikes.

To me the telelever makes so much sense from a purely mechanical standpoint that it remains one of several reasons I've continued to ride BMWs since it was introduced. BMW recognizes it’s not suited for ultra-high performance machines (S1000RR) but for real world, high mileage touring it works just fine.

Honda must see some advantages by using a version of it on the new Goldwing.

I fully agree. I love the telelever for real-world riding on the street. The absence of significant brake dive leaves the suspension with almost full travel to deal with road irregularities under hard braking. Any perceived reduction in feedback really isn’t significant in this context.

Back