• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Too bad BMW does want to sell cop motorcycles........

I do not see how that is true. BMW run double on maintenance, 6000 miles vs. 2500 service. And if you have a good fleet manager they can negate a contact with either maintenance included, lower hourly rate, and percent cap on parts. We had an awesome partnership with our BMWs and dealership. RIP Dusty Miller...............

H-D 2,500 mile service intervals have been history for many years. H-D service intervals are 5k apart. Having been involved with both H-D and BMW police bikes I give the nod to cost to H-D. I have no numbers to back this up but I have a feeling if you take the purchase price and H-D maintenance costs and compare to BMW H-D is going to win.

Of course, H-D is no match to BMW whatsoever. Given the increased level of safety with a BMW I would hope most municipalities are looking at this from more than pure cost. IMO most municipalities would be better off buying BMW as opposed to H-D despite any theoretical price differences either in unit price and/or cost of operations. The folks riding these types of units deserve the best safety package it can possibly afford. And, H-D is not it.

H-D 2,500 mile service intervals have been history for many years. H-D service intervals are 5k apart. Having been involved with both H-D and BMW police bikes I give the nod to cost to H-D. I have no numbers to back this up but I have a feeling if you take the purchase price and H-D maintenance costs and compare to BMW H-D is going to win.

Of course, H-D is no match to BMW whatsoever. Given the increased level of safety with a BMW I would hope most municipalities are looking at this from more than pure cost. IMO most municipalities would be better off buying BMW as opposed to H-D despite any theoretical price differences either in unit price and/or cost of operations. The folks riding these types of units deserve the best safety package it can possibly afford. And, H-D is not it.

That was back from 96-00 is when we had HDs. Our maintenance was cheaper, but then Dusty Miller owner/operator was a retired cop, who owned the dealership. He took care of us and what I was told pretty much gave the RTP away, and the more I post about this I am starting to believe he took very very very good care for us.

They do sell lowered RT's now. I sat on one in the dealer. It felt weird compared to my regular RT, but I could sure flat foot it!

I would wager that they don't make a lowered RT-P. I tried a lowered RT and it was better but still felt uncomfortable to me. You're clearly have a longer inseam.

Too add salt to this thread I was able to ride 2013 Harley with 104 new improvements and it sucked. My left arm was hurting/tired from that cable clutch. I am so sorry and will take a RTP. Rode the Honda too and that was just riding a hot hot hot machine. The gas tank heats up on in the 100 degree Florida heat and bags are a joke for police work.... Again wish BMW got more involved with Police motorcycle and I will help. ;) ..............

Too add salt to this thread I was able to ride 2013 Harley with 104 new improvements and it sucked. My left arm was hurting/tired from that cable clutch. I am so sorry and will take a RTP. Rode the Honda too and that was just riding a hot hot hot machine. The gas tank heats up on in the 100 degree Florida heat and bags are a joke for police work.... Again wish BMW got more involved with Police motorcycle and I will help. ;) ..............

Have you ridden a C14 or Victory?

There really is no need to ride anything other than a BMW. Read the Michigan test as well as previous CHP tests and it could be fairly stated a police department would be foolish to buy anything but a BMW. In addition, a department that purchases something other than BMW has a clear disregard for officer safety. These municipalities and/or counties and/or states are foolish in this area. There is absolutely zero within any of those tests that would lead anyone to believe something other than a BMW would be a better choice. A very sad situation given police officer lives are at stake.

Interestingly, Branson, MO PD just placed 2 Can Am Spyders into service. Considering the slow moving bumper to bumper traffic they have to deal with, that would seem like a good choice. That being said, I think most highway patrols would be best served by BMW RTPs and their high speed pursuit capabilities. Clutches shouldn't be a problem on the open road! Save the Harleys for official parade duties.

Interestingly, Branson, MO PD just placed 2 Can Am Spyders into service. Considering the slow moving bumper to bumper traffic they have to deal with, that would seem like a good choice. That being said, I think most highway patrols would be best served by BMW RTPs and their high speed pursuit capabilities. Clutches shouldn't be a problem on the open road! Save the Harleys for official parade duties.

Taxpayers have to pay for those Harley's. I say buy real equipment which leaves H-D out of the picture. Why waste money for a parade? I cannot imagine any politician who knows anything about a motorcycle wanting to put officers on H-D. One ride say's it all. Literally.

Aren't the Spyders 3-wheelers? It's quite the opposite. If you're stuck in traffic the last thing you want is something approaching the width of a car. 2-wheelers on the other hand give you far more ability to move out of the traffic.

No, I heard the c14 is having electrical problems with emergency equipment. Heard KAW will void warranty if you attempt to make it into a cop motorcycle. Victory I heard will not go into the cone course. I rode the Honda. For police work the Honda's bags flap open and dump items out, too hot in the thigh area, small truck, and to adjust the seat you have to take the motorcycle apart. For police work from the factory it's either HD or BMW. HD supports law enforcement and at this school I just taught was able to hop on a $25K and ride. They want to sell so I see why the administration likes HD. I rode the fairing motorcycle on the highway, the wind protection is poor. Love my BMWs.

FWIW: BMW's participation in this segment of the US market has always seemed a matter of logistics and support rather than the motorcycle. Where they have dealer presence and interest at that level combined with their own resources they have a presence. The wethead is a wildcard in the logistics and support strategy. As the new model rolls out into the BMW system perhaps BMW and its dealer network will become more active in the segment.

The US involvement in this segment has always comes off as a major contradiction to the fact they remain main the largest supplier of police motorcycles world wide. On that stage they face challenges from a variety of contenders. On their home turf Berlin changed to Moto Guzzi in 2008 when Piaggio supplied 35 Norges to the force to try and crack the police market with the then new model.

Some police motorcycle information I found while digging on the web.

Harely-Davidson Police-Fire-Rescue Division

Victory Police Motorcycles

Honda ST1300PA Police Motorcycle

policemag.com: Kawasaki shelves Concourse 14P motorcycle

http://www.policeone.com/manufacturers/BMW-Police-Motorcycles/

http://www.bmwmc.net/Gallery/Gallery.aspx

http://www.bmw-motorrad-authorities.com/authorities/en/index.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/why_michigan_state_police_move.html

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/specialty/policebikes.html

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/VehicleEvaluation2007_MSP-Motorcycles_182665_7.pdf

As fun as the debate about which is better - wet v dry clutch, BMW v all the rest, I am far more curious about what is the future role of motorcycles in the authority market in general. Is it a RTP type motorcycle? BMW has been selling police versions of the F 650 and F 800 GS. What about electrics? Zero is pushing a police version and a military version of their bike. BMW had good police reception to the C1, will their new scooters be part of the authority market segment plan?

If you were king of the BMW Motorrad Authority segment what would you be developing for the world market and to expand the presence in the US?

Last edited:
FWIW: BMW's participation in this segment of the US market has always seemed a matter of logistics and support rather than the motorcycle. Where they have dealer presence and interest at that level combined with their own resources they have a presence. The wethead is a wildcard in the logistics and support strategy. As the new model rolls out into the BMW system perhaps BMW and its dealer network will become more active in the segment.

The US involvement in this segment has always comes off as a major contradiction to the fact they remain main the largest supplier of police motorcycles world wide. On that stage they face challenges from a variety of contenders. On their home turf Berlin changed to Moto Guzzi in 2008 when Piaggio supplied 35 Norges to the force to try and crack the police market with the then new model.

Some police motorcycle information I found while digging on the web.

Harely-Davidson Police-Fire-Rescue Division

Victory Police Motorcycles

Honda ST1300PA Police Motorcycle

policemag.com: Kawasaki shelves Concourse 14P motorcycle

http://www.policeone.com/manufacturers/BMW-Police-Motorcycles/

http://www.bmwmc.net/Gallery/Gallery.aspx

http://www.bmw-motorrad-authorities.com/authorities/en/index.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/07/why_michigan_state_police_move.html

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/specialty/policebikes.html

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/VehicleEvaluation2007_MSP-Motorcycles_182665_7.pdf

As fun as the debate about which is better - wet v dry clutch, BMW v all the rest, I am far more curious about what is the future role of motorcycles in the authority market in general. Is it a RTP type motorcycle? BMW has been selling police versions of the F 650 and F 800 GS. What about electrics? Zero is pushing a police version and a military version of their bike. BMW had good police reception to the C1, will their new scooters be part of the authority market segment plan?

If you were king of the BMW Motorrad Authority segment what would you be developing for the world market and to expand the presence in the US?

If I were king I would focus on the current market and make the little guys happy. Show up at training, motor schools, and then rodeo's. But then who am I, just dreaming. :)

Aren't the Spyders 3-wheelers? It's quite the opposite. If you're stuck in traffic the last thing you want is something approaching the width of a car. 2-wheelers on the other hand give you far more ability to move out of the traffic.

Have you ever been to Branson? Yikes...what a nightmare. There is not a level street in the city. Im talking hills so steep they are difficult to walk up! And off cambered drives and corners and parking lots. A total nightmare for a two wheeled slow moving vehicle.

Branson is a tourist town, pure and simple. The powers that be wanted the motor officerrs for public image, you know, approachable and open to the public, but two wheeled cycles would be very difficult in this town, hence the Spyder. I think it is perfect for Branson.

Just so no one gets the wrong idea and calls BMW to order one, those K1600 police bikes are outfitted by a 3rd party and are not supplied that way by BMW.

Back