• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/6 Headight switch

cseltz

Has anyone taken this switch apart to repair? I got the on / off switch apart but it seems like too much force is required to push the rest of the assembly (hi / low beam - horn) out of the shell. I have not lost any parts (yet) and would like to try and fix the thing rather than replacing. Thanks, Chip

What year? The 1974 switches were unique; they look like they are /5 leftovers but they are different. No longer listed in the parts fiche.

They can be taken apart. What is your switch doing or not doing? On the other hand, it's a switch that has lasted nearly 40 years. If a new replacement is STILL available, buy a new one.

What year? The 1974 switches were unique; they look like they are /5 leftovers but they are different. No longer listed in the parts fiche.

They can be taken apart. What is your switch doing or not doing? On the other hand, it's a switch that has lasted nearly 40 years. If a new replacement is STILL available, buy a new one.

1976. I would like to service the switch before putting it to use. The right side seems to be okay after a shot or two of CRC but the left needs D&C (disassembly & cleaning). If I have to get a new one I will but at nearly $200, I will try and fix it first.

Thanks,

Chip

If you take that switch apart, there is a small ball bearing that is used for the detent. If you must take it apart, I suggest that you do it inside of a plastic bag. The ball bearing is very small and spring loaded. If you do it out in the open the ball and possibly the spring will disappear.

If you take that switch apart, there is a small ball bearing that is used for the detent. If you must take it apart, I suggest that you do it inside of a plastic bag. The ball bearing is very small and spring loaded. If you do it out in the open the ball and possibly the spring will disappear.

I have taken that part (the headlight on/off switch) apart, cleaned it and put it back together. I know I will have to take it apart again if I take the rest of the assembly apart and will be careful about the small parts. My problem is that taking the rest of the assembly apart seems to be taking enough force to break something. I am wondering if I am missing something. Has anyone had the assembly completely apart and if so, what is the procedure?

Thanks,

Chip

That would be that little spring. I had the same problem trying to remove the yellow on/off switch. It is held on the switch with a tiny 'c' clip.It is hard to remove because of the spring and ball bearing. You are probably experiencing the spring caught and and distorting. Do yourself a favor and just spray some electric contact cleaner in there rather than take it apart. Inside there is nothing more than a small ring with small detents in them that allows the ball bearing to hold it in place. That is what gives you the little snick-snick when you turn the headlight on and off.

BTW, after losing the ball bearing, I had to go to one of those party stores and found some of the small little games for kids where you have to shake it to get the little balls into the eyes of the picture in it. Those balls were the right size to do the repair. AND it did not resolve anything anyway since my problem was a bad headlight relay.

That would be that little spring. I had the same problem trying to remove the yellow on/off switch. It is held on the switch with a tiny 'c' clip.It is hard to remove because of the spring and ball bearing. You are probably experiencing the spring caught and and distorting. Do yourself a favor and just spray some electric contact cleaner in there rather than take it apart. Inside there is nothing more than a small ring with small detents in them that allows the ball bearing to hold it in place. That is what gives you the little snick-snick when you turn the headlight on and off.

BTW, after losing the ball bearing, I had to go to one of those party stores and found some of the small little games for kids where you have to shake it to get the little balls into the eyes of the picture in it. Those balls were the right size to do the repair. AND it did not resolve anything anyway since my problem was a bad headlight relay.

I have already had the headlight on/off switch apart, cleaned and back together. I know about the spring and ball bearing. I have them back in now for safe keeping. I know I have to take that apart again to dismantle the whole assembly. The dimmer switch is clearly not right and needs work. The rocker does not settle anywhere for lack of a better description. If it were a momentary switch (triggering a relay), it would spring back to rest. If it were a regular switch it would "click" from low to high. This one needs work beyond cleaning / lubrication. I am looking for guidance from someone who has had the white plastic assembly off the back of the switch cover without breaking it. How much force did it take or is there some step that I am missing. It looks like you should be able to just push the horn and dimmer switches through the cover once the on / off switch handle is removed but mine won't come all the way out. It is as though there is something hidden holding it together.

Thanks

Chip

Chip,

I took mine apart on my 1975 R90/6. I too had a hard time removing the top section. As I recall you have to place the high-low beam in the full up position and the bend the housing slightly to snap it apart. I cleaned the contacts. The top went back on a lot easier than when removing it.

Chip,

I took mine apart on my 1975 R90/6. I too had a hard time removing the top section. As I recall you have to place the high-low beam in the full up position and the bend the housing slightly to snap it apart. I cleaned the contacts. The top went back on a lot easier than when removing it.

Thanks for the insight. I'll give this a try.

Chip

Back