• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My 01 R1150R?s start problem has been bothering me for a long time

tony_sk_wu

Hi there
My 01 R1150R?s start problem has been bothering me for a long time.
It starts extremely well when engine is hot. However, when cold start, I have to push the start button at least 4~5 times (use fast idle lever every time, no wear in cable). The starter (2 year old) works well, crankcase keeps cranking, yet the engine does not start up. And the fuel consumption is rather high.
I took the following steps during troubleshooting:
- Change of brand new spark plug, hall effect sensor, battery(Motorbatt), air filter
- Change of engine oil (10w40)
- Valve clearance checked, fast idle lever checked, throttle valve checked and cleanup
- Fuel injector checked and cleanup, fuel pump checked
But it still cannot start up properly when cold start (it is spring here).
What else is there? Is there anything to do with the Bosch throttle position sensor? Why it starts perfectly when it?s hot?
Thanks in advance.

;):blah

First you need to determine if rich or lean or no spark.

You can check spark and rule it out.

Then you can add some supplemental fuel by spraying a little burst of carb cleaner or starting fluid thru the evap fittings on the bottom of the throttle body. less than half second burst. I bet this lets it start.

If it does you have a air leak, split hoses in the tank, dirty throttle bodes or dirty injectors.

Finally 10-40 oil is the wrong weight, use a 20W50 SJ oil.

Rod

Hi there
It starts extremely well when engine is hot. However, when cold start, I have to push the start button at least 4~5 times (use fast idle lever every time, no wear in cable). The starter (2 year old) works well, crankcase keeps cranking, yet the engine does not start up. And the fuel consumption is rather high.
- Change of brand new spark plug, hall effect sensor, battery(Motorbatt), air filter
- Valve clearance checked, fast idle lever checked, throttle valve checked and cleanup
What else is there? Is there anything to do with the Bosch throttle position sensor? Why it starts perfectly when it?s hot?
Thanks in advance.

Tony, You seem like you have been systematic in your troubleshooting. What brand battery and is it GEL, AGM or regular?

The reason I ask is that the 1100 and 1150 are fairly sensitive to dips in battery voltage while cranking. I had a situation where my bike started great, always cranked well, the headlight was bright. But first start of the morning was bad. I fixed a battery problem and now it always starts in under 1.5 seconds, even at 15 F.

Here is what I found: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70495-Starter-or-Battery-2004-R1150RT

Hey roger, what if any does the oil temp sensor have to do with starting issues. i like my motors to start on just a touch of the button. my bike takes a good 5 revolutions to fire off when cold, fires right off when hot. ive got lots to learn on these beemers.

On this model of beemer it takes a minimum of 4 revloutions when cold. I can count them and release the button when it hits 4 and it almost always starts. With summer fuel in the winter, which is common in the high octane grades of fuel in the USA as they do not sell much, I could count to 5 or 6 because of the lower vapor pressure of the fuel. When I had a split and leaking in tank hose, it would go to 7 or 8. Cold it is NEVER less than 4. Hot is usually 2

You probably do not have a problem.

Rod

Hey roger, what if any does the oil temp sensor have to do with starting issues. i like my motors to start on just a touch of the button. my bike takes a good 5 revolutions to fire off when cold, fires right off when hot. ive got lots to learn on these beemers.

The Oil Temperature sensor is a key input to cold starting. It tells the Motronic how much fuel it will need to add. Factors like atomization, condensation on the throttle body & intake/cylinder walls and volatility come into play. With a GS-911 you can tell on one start cycle whether the Oil Temp sensor is working.

Without one, look at the display. If your RID shows no bars when cold and 5/6 bars when fully warmed and comes up smoothly in between, it is probably working.

On this model of beemer it takes a minimum of 4 revloutions when cold. I can count them and release the button when it hits 4 and it almost always starts. With summer fuel in the winter, which is common in the high octane grades of fuel in the USA as they do not sell much, I could count to 5 or 6 because of the lower vapor pressure of the fuel. When I had a split and leaking in tank hose, it would go to 7 or 8. Cold it is NEVER less than 4. Hot is usually 2

You probably do not have a problem.

Rod

I don't seem to be able to count that fast but with everything right, under any temperature conditions, and the fast idle lever in the mid (detent) position, my starting times are between 1 to 2 seconds.

Hi there
Thanks in advance.

Tony,
I had the very same problem on my 2002 R1150R that I lived with for a long time.
The problem went away after I had my Throttle Bodies synchronized.
This solution may or may not work for you too, but, its worth a try if you haven't
done so already.

Back