• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R18 section name?

Section Name R 18

Should be called the R 18 as it has been referred to numerous times already. Not a Wet Head, but Oil Head (already taken) so R 18 it is.

Thanks! I will get the lights.

I would doubt so. The aftermarket may be gearing up to include that feature in some sort of life-saving Bavarian Screamin’ Eagle package.
:D

Best,
DeVern

Indeed, HD is the only major manufacturer that knowingly and willingly sells modification parts that violate pollution laws and regulations. But when, as happened in Oakland, the Police Department fits their Harley cop bikes will illegal exhaust systems because as the Chief said, "The guys like them", what can we expect? :banghead Law and order!:scratch

I just love Fat Bobs and Baggers with exhausts sold "for off road use only."

Harley got it's butt kicked by the EPA a few years back for selling non-EPA approved hop up parts for street motorcycles. They even sold parts marked for "off road use only" that Harley stopped selling. (Yeah, right! Off road use for a 900 pound bagger?!) The Motor company line for modifications is EPA approved only. Harley sells a limited amount of EPA approved exhausts, cams and air filters, plus they can only supply an engine tuning device with EPA approved calibrations. Your local dealer might be doing something that violates the EPA, but Mother Harley does not endorse it. In fact, riders that bring their motorcycles in for warranty repairs are having repairs refused and motorcycles "tagged" in Harley's data base if they have non-EPA mods.

Needless to say Harley has gone through a huge change on engine mods in the last ~4 years.

Harley got it's butt kicked by the EPA a few years back for selling non-EPA approved hop up parts for street motorcycles. They even sold parts marked for "off road use only" that Harley stopped selling. (Yeah, right! Off road use for a 900 pound bagger?!) The Motor company line for modifications is EPA approved only. Harley sells a limited amount of EPA approved exhausts, cams and air filters, plus they can only supply an engine tuning device with EPA approved calibrations. Your local dealer might be doing something that violates the EPA, but Mother Harley does not endorse it. In fact, riders that bring their motorcycles in for warranty repairs are having repairs refused and motorcycles "tagged" in Harley's data base if they have non-EPA mods.

Needless to say Harley has gone through a huge change on engine mods in the last ~4 years.

Consider the number of Harleys I see (actually hear) and their inability to maintain a stable idle speed, I know the muffler isn't compliant and motor/ignition control unit can't adjust. It's money in the bank for the dealers and the aftermarket parts market.

Just like the burnout pits. That was genius. Rip the crap out of the machine and tires, then pay for repairs. Genius, I tell you, Genius.

Consider the number of Harleys I see (actually hear) and their inability to maintain a stable idle speed, I know the muffler isn't compliant and motor/ignition control unit can't adjust. It's money in the bank for the dealers and the aftermarket parts market.

If you’re referring to the classic H-D lope at idle or low speed, it’s built into the design of the 45 degree v-twin using a common crank pin, resulting in firing intervals spaced 315 and 405 degrees apart. https://www.cycleworld.com/2016/02/...win-and-flat-twin-engine-tech-sound-insights/

That 405 degree pause between power pulses is part of what made the H-D XR750 so successful as a dirt-track race bike; plenty of time for the driven tire to hook up before the next power pulse. Unfortunately, it seems the bulk of H-D owners try to emulate the race-bike sound level on their street machines. And on a good many tracks, even the XR750 had to wear an effective muffler to comply with noise restrictions.

My prediction is that while BMW won’t sell loud pipes for these bikes, the aftermarket will be quick and vigorous to fill that desire, especially for buyers who represent conquest sales. :(

Best,
DeVern

Agree. Perhaps new models, any model, introduced during a global pandemic would seem trivial.

I’ll bet this has been planned for quite some time. Everyone it seems was going to see them virtually anyway :dunno
OM

I am amused at the loud pipe comments as so many here and I see on the road have aftermarket exhausts on their German machines. The first Camhead that rolled into my shop sounded like a Remus compared to my Oilheads and first Hexheads.
I can hear most newer BMW’s as well as Cummins diesels and some, not all V- twins coming way down the road. Be careful with the rocks around the windows:dunno

Some folks like RTs and dislike GSs as an example, some folks think Airheads are old tractors. This engine surely will be offered in a few more models, one may interest you if given a chance. If not, grumble away :fight

I am amused at the loud pipe comments as so many here and I see on the road have aftermarket exhausts on their German machines. The first Camhead that rolled into my shop sounded like a Remus compared to my Oilheads and first Hexheads.
I can hear most newer BMW’s as well as Cummins diesels and some, not all V- twins coming way down the road. Be careful with the rocks around the windows:dunno

Some folks like RTs and dislike GSs as an example, some folks think Airheads are old tractors. This engine surely will be offered in a few more models, one may interest you if given a chance. If not, grumble away :fight

Steve, you know where I live. When bikes go by headed south and I time them and can hear them for 3 minutes you do the math. Even if they are only doing 60 in the 75 that is still 3 miles. The squids only last about 1 minute or one and a half miles. Again do the math :)

If you’re referring to the classic H-D lope at idle or low speed, it’s built into the design of the 45 degree v-twin using a common crank pin, resulting in firing intervals spaced 315 and 405 degrees apart. https://www.cycleworld.com/2016/02/...win-and-flat-twin-engine-tech-sound-insights/

That 405 degree pause between power pulses is part of what made the H-D XR750 so successful as a dirt-track race bike; plenty of time for the driven tire to hook up before the next power pulse. Unfortunately, it seems the bulk of H-D owners try to emulate the race-bike sound level on their street machines. And on a good many tracks, even the XR750 had to wear an effective muffler to comply with noise restrictions.

My prediction is that while BMW won’t sell loud pipes for these bikes, the aftermarket will be quick and vigorous to fill that desire, especially for buyers who represent conquest sales. :(

Best,
DeVern

I know the difference between the Harley rumble and an engine that can't maintain a stable idle speed.

Steve, you know where I live. When bikes go by headed south and I time them and can hear them for 3 minutes you do the math. Even if they are only doing 60 in the 75 that is still 3 miles. The squids only last about 1 minute or one and a half miles. Again do the math :)

I get that as we can hear packs of v-twins and sport bikes running on the highway over a mile away.
The harmonics of multiple firing sequences along with aftermarket exhausts or lack of compounds the sounds.
My point was more that we are all not as quiet as we think as we complain about a certain brand being. I rode behind a buds bike with a Remus who harps on cruisers...wasn’t much difference in decibels though the frequency wasn’t as pronounced. I mentioned it at next stop and he stink eyed me.

I can hear the neighbors S1000RR for a long time coming or going at warp speed down the highway to his gate :banghead

Excellent Point!!

And, I love the idea of an optional big torque engine for the RT, might have to move the jugs to an angle like the Moto Guzzi, but I'm in. Where do I send the deposit......

E.

Vehicles with mega-base sometimes makes me think I have a chimney fire.
Whatever........... It’s part of the luxury of living in an open society.
OM

Vehicles with mega-base sometimes makes me think I have a chimney fire.
Whatever........... It’s part of the luxury of living in an open society.
OM

There actually was a time when courtesy and manners counted. Today we have far too many people who insist it is their right - their freedom - to do any darn thing they want whether it is obnoxious or not. As a culture we could do with a whole lot fewer of folks of this ilk.

There actually was a time when courtesy and manners counted. Today we have far too many people who insist it is their right - their freedom - to do any darn thing they want whether it is obnoxious or not. As a culture we could do with a whole lot fewer of folks of this ilk.

I think you are referring to manners? Like covering ones mouth when one coughs or sneezes?
Manners use to start young.
OM

I think you are referring to manners? Like covering ones mouth when one coughs or sneezes?
Manners use to start young.
OM

Yes, and not vibrating the car next to you with your $5,000 sound system. And like not blasting down the road with an exhaust system that shakes the windows in the house you just went past. And like not throwing your butts, beer cans, and dirty diapers out the car window as you drive along. Those kinds of freedoms some people demand are their right. You know, the ones that insist "they can't tell me what to do or not do."

Back