• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headlight Pro

Fortes fortuna iuvat
Question for those familiar with headlight pro on the RT.

Can you confirm that the LED lights surrounding the high beams can be run both in conjunction with the low beam and seperate as stand alone daytime running lights? If so what is your opinion on which combination provides the best conspicuity to oncoming traffic during the day.

On my '16 RT the LEDs come on with the key at on and the headlight comes on after engine start.
All three stay on until engine shut-off.

I've installed LED lamps at engine level for conspicuity.

My 2014 works the same, (good for visibility).

I picked up a pair of Darla lights with the BMW Auxillary Light brackets to add conspicuity and provide a bit more night-time lighting.

I think the U.S. has required an always-on headlight for motorcycles since about 1980. I'm not sure if the LED rings would satisfy that requirement on their own. LEDs near or surrounding the main light may add a little brightness, but appear as a single bright spot, and do little to help oncoming traffic estimate their distance. Individual lights placed with a clear separation appear to spread apart as you get closer, making it easier for others to judge closing speed. The greater the separation the better, so most conspicuity lights end up low and/or wide, on the lower forks, on engine guards, and at the fairing edges.

I'm not sure I've seen the LED rings in operation on an RT. I have seen them on a K1600 heading the other direction and was very un-impressed. I found them hard to see, and I was looking for them.

Edit: I found this pic of an RT, with low beam off, parked in a shadow. Looks similar to the K1600 I've seen. I would not rely on these LED rings for conspicuity. They are simply not bright enough to be seen in sunlight, especially from an angle. I'm really not sure what they are for, except to add a little style, or to serve as a parking light.
2014-BMW-R1200RT.jpg

Another, rings barely brighter than the unlit turn signal:
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
I think the U.S. has required an always-on headlight for motorcycles since about 1980. I'm not sure if the LED rings would satisfy that requirement on their own.
View attachment 60707

The headlight on requirement is not universal in the United States. That requirement is left to the individual states, and of course they do not all agree... (just like helmets)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 2014 works the same, (good for visibility).

I picked up a pair of Darla lights with the BMW Auxillary Light brackets to add conspicuity and provide a bit more night-time lighting.
Picked up? Hand delivered I think :)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well, I guess that is more accurate Marc, and thank you for that. ;-)

BTW, I had a great ride after we parted ways in Troy. Rode Route-7 through Green Mountain, then took Route-4 across to Route-3 up through White Mountain and then Route-2 into Bangor. Doing the secondary roads meant that it was a full days ride, but great roads for the RT. Liked it so much that I retraced some of it in July when I rode the RT to Das Rally.

I was just told that the headlamp pro is a directional, “adaptive “ headlamp. Is it true or have I been misinformed?

"The Headlight Pro highlights the R 1200 RT modern design with a distinctive BMW look featuring LED corona rings surrounding the high beam projectors."

E

I took for granted it was a Federal law.

I think the "headlight on" rule applies in so many states that the manufacturers build just one version for the U.S. It's been 35+ years since I've seen a new bike with a headlight "off" switch.

I am fairly certain that it is a requirement in any state which receives any Federal Highway funds. Like the old Federal mandate on helmets - since repealed.

As illogical as it may seem, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration does not require Daytime Running Lights. For years there was a push by GM and others to have them required; however, in June of 2009 NHTSA denied the request. See
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...p-reflective-devices-and-associated-equipment In denying the request NHTSA said..."the agency remains neutral with respect to a policy regarding the inclusion of DRLs in vehicles."

Another article on the subject can be found at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp.

As a result states have came up with a hodgepodge list of rules some requiring the use of daytime headlamps, or DRLs if your car or motorcycle has them. For Motorcycles see https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/motorcycle-equipment/

E.

Last edited:
I took for granted it was a Federal law.

Automatic-on headlamp: A motorcycle headlamp that is automatically illuminated when the engine is started—also known as daytime running lamp. Required by regulation in many states since 1973 and consequently installed on virtually all street bikes sold in the U.S

MSF

Curious. I always thought it was the 2 LED-surrounded lights that were the low beams and the high beam was in the center.

"The Headlight Pro highlights the R 1200 RT modern design with a distinctive BMW look featuring LED corona rings surrounding the high beam projectors."

E

Curious. I always thought it was the 2 LED-surrounded lights that were the low beams and the high beam was in the center.
On the RTW, the centre light is the low-beam while the two outer lights (surrounded by the LED Corona Rings) are the high-beam lights.

As an aside, the LED Corona Rings (also referred to as Halo headlights) have been used on BMW cars since 2000 and were given the nickname "Angel Eyes".

Back