• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2013 Rally Location

Travel options when time is short.

Those that don't have the time to travel both ways via MC should consider fly and ride, rally train, or rental. In the past I've purchased two bikes close to rally sites and ridden them home, sell it when you get home or add it to your collection. Where there is a will there is a way.
Oregon has so many great roads and such geological diversity that you really should start your research now. Coast roads, lava beds, forest logging roads, scenic byways along rivers and streams, heck we even have covered bridges and Salem is close enough to Eugene that you can get some Tie Dyed hippy gear... Don't Bogart those Brownies.

Darn....I was going to go. But it will be the third weekend in July. Same date as AMA Vintage Days. Too bad. Will not make it to Salem:violin

I thought you took your ball and went home. Ask the AMA to change the VMD dates, then let me know how that worked out for you. Better yet, quit whinin' !

I thought you took your ball and went home. Ask the AMA to change the VMD dates, then let me know how that worked out for you. Better yet, quit whinin' !

I will not stop there. I will try to convince everything motorcycle related in the U.S. to rotate around BMW MOA riders and once I have succeded in having the tail wag the dog, of course, I will keep you informed.

I will not stop there. I will try to convince everything motorcycle related in the U.S. to rotate around BMW MOA riders and once I have succeded in having the tail wag the dog, of course, I will keep you informed.

Thank You, and keep tilting at those windmills.

Wow, Oregon must be a hit. 2001 and 2010 were in Redmond, Oregon and now, 2013 in Salem. It is a beautiful state. I made the 2001 National. I've got a year to think about Salem. Planning Missouri for now.

1980 in Redmond, OR too.

Salem: 650 km, yep. Sedalia: 4000km, nope. (btw, I'm planning 18,000 km trip this summer so it's not just the distance)

I believe the new rotation is scheduled:
--> 2013 West
--> 2014 Midwest
--> 2015 Mountains
--> 2016 East
... ... repeat ... ...

It's also important to note that sometimes, unexpected things happen and regions might get shuffled due to ... *SURPRISE!* ... complications. :banghead

But generally speaking, the rally site selection committee makes every effort to stick to this schedule.

:thumb

I believe the new rotation is scheduled:
--> 2013 West
--> 2014 Midwest
--> 2015 Mountains
--> 2016 East
... ... repeat ... ...

It's also important to note that sometimes, unexpected things happen and regions might get shuffled due to ... *SURPRISE!* ... complications. :banghead

But generally speaking, the rally site selection committee makes every effort to stick to this schedule.

:thumb

Lets make it the far Eastern side of the Midwest

North to Alaska!

Does California have any prospective sites? I know Oregon is nice, but CA has some great riding as well! Thinking of Paso Robles, Monterey, etc.

Salem Oregon is a great choice but a little too soon since the Redmond rally in 2010. I did a little calculating and have attached a list of the last 10 rallies plus the proposed rally in Salem Oregon.

2005 Charleston, West Virginia
2004 Spokane Washington
2005 Lima, Ohio
2006 Burlington, Vermont
2007 West Bend, Wisconsin
2008 Gillette, Wyoming
2009 Jefferson City, North Carolina
2010 Redmond, Oregon
2011 Bloomington, Pennsylvannia
2012 Sedalia, Missouri
2013 Salem, Oregon

East=3
Central east=4
Central west=1
West=3

As you can see we are missing an opportunity to have the National in a beautiful part of the country. Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Utah, all have great places to ride and see. Sure we can ride there on the way to Salem but it would be better to have the rally in this region. Good for their economy and our riding.
I missed Durango and Missoula which I regret and have been hoping that the rally would go back there. We must also remember that these little rallies need to be profitable so it is a fine balance but we need to have the rallies in the Central West region too.

Keep the shiny side up and ride safe!

Attachments

• 11 years at MOA rallies..doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 18
Salem Oregon is a great choice but a little too soon since the Redmond rally in 2010. I did a little calculating and have attached a list of the last 10 rallies plus the proposed rally in Salem Oregon.

2005 Charleston, West Virginia
2004 Spokane Washington
2005 Lima, Ohio
2006 Burlington, Vermont
2007 West Bend, Wisconsin
2008 Gillette, Wyoming
2009 Jefferson City, North Carolina
2010 Redmond, Oregon
2011 Bloomington, Pennsylvannia
2012 Sedalia, Missouri
2013 Salem, Oregon

East=3
Central east=4
Central west=1
West=3

As you can see we are missing an opportunity to have the National in a beautiful part of the country. Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Utah, all have great places to ride and see. Sure we can ride there on the way to Salem but it would be better to have the rally in this region. Good for their economy and our riding.
I missed Durango and Missoula which I regret and have been hoping that the rally would go back there. We must also remember that these little rallies need to be profitable so it is a fine balance but we need to have the rallies in the Central West region too.

Keep the shiny side up and ride safe!

Well u messed up a few names of towns...but location is close enough...and 2003 not 2005.
But there are some rather limiting factors with locations for 6000 rally attendees.

Loved every minute of the trip and will have more time in 2013 as I will retire 31/Dec/2012.

Similar situation here. I was going to retire in June, but have now decided to stay until the end of this construction season, the end of November.

When I retire I can attend just about any rally I want to. Whether I choose the national rally will depend on what's going on, if there are family or friends close to the rally site, the weather, etc.

Harry

Back