• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel pump flange leak on 2011 R1200RT

cowchip

I am currently stuck in Salt Lake City. My bike is at the dealership with a fuel leak. The fuel leak happened on my way here sometime on Wednesday and got really bad on Friday when I took it in to Harrison Eurosports. This is a safety issue and I had to quit riding. Sat morning at the Rally the diagnosis was in: Cracked flange. An issue I thought was taken care of with a safety recall completed in 2014. At least I dont have a fuel strip. The dealership did not have a part.
My local servicing dealer did not replace the fuel pump at the time because of the way the service bulletin was written to the dealers. Inspect and only replace if cracked already. Just re-enforce. Very short sighted.
So, I have an old style fuel pump and it has failed. Has anyone else on the list experienced this?
I am hopping that BMW will cover the cost of this repair. My motto is fix right the first time. BMW needs to learn and practice this mantra.

OK. Back to visiting Salt Lake City by rental car.

Don

Don,

I'm quite certain BMW is going to cover this under the recall since they do not want to have NHTSA question how they addressed the problem with "Inspect and reinforce"... If NHTSA finds BMWs recall "fix" was inadequate BMW may be forced into replacing all the pumps (which as you said - is what they should have done to begin with.)

Once it's fixed it will only take you a few minutes at the NHTSA website to report this failure, and make it clear what the circumstances were for the failure. Your choice - but that's what I'd do. There are some detailed directions on how to file a report with NHTSA in the fuel-strip survey thread. While you're there you might want to also report the 6th fuel strip replacement - since sooner or later (2023?) your 12 year in-service fuel strip warranty will expire.

Here is a modified version of the instructions I posted for reporting the defective fuel strips - it's modified to report fuel pump outlet flange cracking.

--------------------------------------------

Here is what might be filled out (after selecting the on-line form found at: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/)

VIN: Entered my VIN#
VEHICLE: BMW R 1200 R 2007 (this is on the drop down screen once you enter BMW.. it's down a ways.. look for your bike if it's not there use the ones that are there as a pattern to create a new model listing.)
APPROXIMATE DATE: I entered the date it first happened (as the instructions say to.)
CRASH: No
FIRE: No
FATALITY: No
VEHICLE MILEAGE: I put down the approximate mileage it first happened at
SPEED: I put down 65 for good luck.
AFFECTED PARTS: FUEL/PROPULSION SYSTEM <-- this is the important one. This is how the complaints get lost.
TELL US WHAT HAPPENED: Fuel pump output flange cracked, resulting in fuel leaking down the side of the bike and onto hot components while riding. This issue has already been the subject of a BMW recall - but apparently the "Inspect and Reinforce" solution isn't really adequate long-term. This pump had been inspected and reinforced - and the flange still cracked and caused a dangerous fuel leak with the potential for bodily injury or worse.

I then filled in my personal info.

-------------------------------------------------------

fuel pump flange leak update

Here is an update- sort of.
The dealer ordered a fuel pump and the wrong one came packaged this morning. I am still stuck now in Sandy, Utah. Another day. Another hotel.

But Wait. I was told by the service manager that BMW will pay for parts and labor! YEH! Now, will BMW pay for my extra few days plus my rental car while waiting for a part? We shall see. My day got a bit worse as I was returning my rental car a rock flew up from interstate 15 and cracked the window. So, I am still stuck in the Beehive state but in a much nicer location and hotel.

No leaks and running great!

The fix of a new fuel pump so far is doing great. Nice to be back on the bike. The ride out of Sandy was great for 45 minutes when I hit a very large thunderstorm. Took refuge someplace down the road at a Subway and ate my sandwich for 1.25 hours until it stopped. 20 minutes later I got hit again and again for another hour. PR4 GT's work great in the rain.
I finally made it to Beaver, Utah where I had enough of the deluge.

Left early on Thursday, July 20 and fell victim to extreme heat and called it a day in Barstow with 110 deg showing on my dash. I was spent!
Easy 130 mile dash for home tomorrow. Did notice some strange cupping on my front tire. More like scallops. I keep 39 in the front and 41 in he rear per Michelin at the rally.

Back