• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Not Racing in AMA

With much of the competition in AMA Superbike bowing out, they would have had good chances, but at hollow victory.

Mika's "daily read" reveals a leak they will be increasing their World Superbike efforts instead.

I would have liked to watch a BMW sponsored team effort too. I would not be surprised to see a privateer try to race but no factory or national support in the US at this time.

AMA Pro Racing is a disaster right now. As was pointed out they could walk in and take a victory but it would be a hollow one. Perhaps more importantly I donÔÇÖt think they want to make the competition made. Beating them face to face on the track is one thing. Walking into this family feud and trying to take advantage of it could have all sorts of consequences in the future that frankly wouldnÔÇÖt be worth it.

Racing at the national level is handled by each national importer, not BMW Motorrad Motorsport. That is the factory team. Racing logistics in the AMA Pro Racing Superbike series is darn expensive compared to the BSB ÔÇô British Superbike series for example. BMW NA is the importer for BMW and Husqvarna. They are spending more money and effort on that brand. The return on investment just isnÔÇÖt there right now in AMA Pro Racing.

The Canadian SBK series has its problems this year but nothing like the AMA. BMW Canada has figured out how to make it work north of the border. Their series gives a good excuse to go to Canada and watch a race while on a nice trip.

At the World Superbike level BMW Motorrad Motorsport is doing all sorts of cool things with the factory team, has added a satellite team and will be racing in the World Supersport series also.

Bummer!

Darn. Was hoping to see the S1000RR in AMA but I understand their reasoning.

Perhaps some dealer with deep pockets and/or race experience would run a few 'privateer' races. e.g. MAX's or SJ BMW.

There are more things happening in AMA Pro Racing since I posted. John Hopkins is possibly returning to the series. There are a couple of other big name riders that have been bandied about as possibly coming back also. The season has not started. Reading between the lines of the BMW comments a deal has not been struck to date. I'm not going to hold my breath but will hold out some small hope that an 11th hour deal of some sort can be struck that would have them racing in 2010.

There are more things happening in AMA Pro Racing since I posted. John Hopkins is possibly returning to the series. There are a couple of other big name riders that have been bandied about as possibly coming back also. The season has not started. Reading between the lines of the BMW comments a deal has not been struck to date. I'm not going to hold my breath but will hold out some small hope that an 11th hour deal of some sort can be struck that would have them racing in 2010.

I dunno. That racing series is in complete turmoil. I think that until teams have some assurance that their efforts aren't going to become obviated due to a capricious rule change, they'll stay away.

And who's still racing in that series? Yamaha, Suzuki and a bunch of privateers, right?

Back