• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200GT - any tips on fuel filter change?

Other thought is the BMW fuel filter ($42) is clogged. Bad filter from BMW? The pictures shows the correct direction of the flow. I can put the old one back on.

Friday is the GS-911 delivery.

I have not heard of a new filter being plugged.

Plug has spark. I pulled #2 plug, laid to the frame and cranked it. Several sparks on the plug came off. A big surprise to me. So much for the code reset ideas.

When I pulled the plug, it was wet with fuel. I dried it off. I was expecting no spark. But it did, kind of weird. If wet, why no sputter. Weird.

I put some ether starter fluid in Cyl2 and gave it another try, it has a mild sputter on that one cylinder. So the spark was real. Conclusion, the fuel is the problem. Back to Lee's comment, last thing I worked on is the likely problem. I did not pull all the plugs and test individually. One was enough for me. No misfires before and the wires look good.

I drained the tank down to near empty, same no start, no sputter, no sound other than pump pressurizing and stopping after 3 seconds. I was expecting bubbling or spraying from a loose connection.

I am pulling the tank and starting over. I still have the old filter and will put it back. Dated 09.09.02, so this is 17 years old. I blow into the old one but doesn't pass through very easy, so I guess, that is normal. Hard to see if the new is blocked. New one is BMW filter.

Earlier picture, I showed the completed replacement with screw clamps. Is the filter going the correct direction? I have the arrow pointing to the top bend.

Earlier picture, I showed the completed replacement with screw clamps. Is the filter going the correct direction? I have the arrow pointing to the top bend.

Earlier I looked at that and it appear correct.
My picture was not perfectly clear so I Googled some pictures and they match yours.
Can you see into the tank with a flashlight while you try to start the bike?

If you remove the new filter I would blow through it to see if it's clear and put it back in if it's clear.

Fixed. Bike running now.

As I pulled the pump out of the tank, one of the connections was off. I really couldn't tell if it was from me pulling it out disconnected it while messing with the smaller tubes or blew off days ago. But it was a big sign. When I pushed it back on, I was on the very edge of the metal tube, so it looked like my error not getting enough hose down the metal tube. Probably too timid tightening it down also.

Of note, that J shape of rubber tube had to be bent down further, beyond it's natural shape. Design error, the tube should have another half inch longer that side to prevent grabbing just the edge. This time I got the clamp on back side of the metal hump instead of on top of the hump. See picture on what I saw disconnected out of the tank and then picture of it reattached. The reattachment reversed the clamp to slide it lower down the tube and not interfere with the filter itself.

Picture of original 2002 filter. This bikes has been serviced by four different Chicago BMW dealers and several prior owners. I guess changing the filter is not high on the list for maintenance. I think the air filter got better service, though. The air filter was 18 months ago.

Bike started right away once tank reinstalled. No panels yet. I let it warm up 5-10 mins. See temp picture. Idled fine. RPM at 4k fine. No misfires. etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Your guys kept me focus on the problem.

Attachments

• Separated.jpg
    Separated.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 27
  • reconnected.jpg
    reconnected.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 25
  • old2002filter.jpg
    old2002filter.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 26
  • runexhaust1.jpg
    runexhaust1.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Tempup.jpg
    Tempup.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 26
2003 K1200GT fuel filter changed

First picture is a sample of my original connection with all the clams on the same side, notice the right side is above the filter.

The second picture, I had to reverse the clamp and slide it down further on the metal tube. The filter got in the way of the screw clamp.

I also had to bend the rubber tube down another quarter inch to grab more tube. The bend doesn't match the preformed shape, which is not a good idea, but I had to do it. I don't think it pinched excessively but an uncomfortable feeling putting stress on something that doesn't need to.

It would have been nicer for BMW to supply another half inch of tube for this $49 little J hose. Just warning the next guy. I can see why folks use a Napa rubber hose instead.

Attachments

• fueldone.jpg
    fueldone.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 52
  • reconnected.jpg
    reconnected.jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 51
Glad to hear you got the issue resolved! And you shouldn’t feel bad about having to go back in there—how do you think Lee, myself, and others became aware of the issue? :)

And don’t sweat the hose. You have it firmly connected now, and the real preventative measure is making sure those darn QDs go together with a nice audible click anytime they are disconnected.

Enjoy the ride,
DG

To make sure a fuel hose can't slip off make sure a clamp is placed past the bump on the filter or pipe.
attachment.jpg

Dissected Fuel filter can. Lots of carbon on this 09-2002 original filter.

My 2003 K1200GT, with 26k miles had it's first fuel filter change since Nov 2002. I guess that is the problem of low mileage, multiple owners, 16 year old bike. Things get neglected when they are hard / costly to change. Fixed now.

I suspect the original filter fiber is normally tan in color. This one is black as black.

Let me know if an original is Tan or black. I didn't cut open a new one to see. My fingers smug charcoal grit easily on the filter paper. I am guessing it comes from the charcoal can for emissions control. Maybe the prior guys have filled the tank too much to flush the charcoal into the tank?

Some articles recommend removing the charcoal can. I don't mind leaving it. Is it true you just don't top off the tank? Is that how you prevent filling the charcoal canister?

Anyway, I was cleaning up parts after a winter of repairs. The filter can was begging to be sawed open. Thought I would show you the results. Enjoy your ride !

Attachments

• filterblacken.jpg
    filterblacken.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 27
  • filterfingersmug.jpg
    filterfingersmug.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 27
Back