• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Trailering 2014 k1600gtl and tie down points

mlaneclark

I would appreciate someone telling me, or better yet, showing me in photos, what the best way is to tie down and trailer my 2014 K1600GTL. I've got lay down bars front and rear but have learned that pulling down on the suspension is not good. Also have read that handlebar attachment is not good and I don't see a good place to tie onto the lower forks. So I could continue this list of what not to do, can someone tell me the best way? Thanks

Along with that information, I’m a fan of leaving the bike in gear while it’s being transported.
OM

You can get manuals in PDF form from BMW here: https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/en/rider-manual
The manuals change from year to year, and the downloaded versions are sometimes updated, so the page numbers change also.

Usually tiedown info is under Riding, look for something like "Fastening motorcycle for transport". That topic was in section 5, page 84 in the version I found.

I gotta say looking at it I don't like the low tie down points on the forks but that's just me.

I've been hauling BMW's for years with the method the manual calls for and it works just fine.

I once had to have a K1200GT towed and it became a bit of an argument with the tow truck driver as to how to secure the bike. Said he'd been towing bikes for 20 years as he went for the handlebars. I told him to unload the bike and that I wasn't paying him. He then listened.

Thought just occurred to me. Print out the manual section with the illustrations and keep it with the bike. Next time an argument ensues break it out saying this will hold up in court when suing for damage.

Along with that information, I’m a fan of leaving the bike in gear while it’s being transported.
OM

Not me... why strain the drive train (poetic)? If the tie down is proper there won't be significant fore/aft movement and if it's not proper being in gear won't help.

I don't use the side stand either... see that way too often with the HD crowd.

Not me... why strain the drive train (poetic)? If the tie down is proper there won't be significant fore/aft movement and if it's not proper being in gear won't help.

I don't use the side stand either... see that way too often with the HD crowd.

Any strain on the drive train will be miniscule compared to the forces on it while riding. Leaving the bike in gear might help with controlling the bike during loading/unloading.

Any strain on the drive train will be miniscule compared to the forces on it while riding. Leaving the bike in gear might help with controlling the bike during loading/unloading.

Absolutely :thumb

I also use the bike in gear when unloading down the ramp. The clutch friction on the rear wheel augments the iffy brake control that that disappears as soon as the front wheel “locks up” and starts to slide on the ramp.

OM

Miniscule to designed loads.. obviously. Unnecessary... absolutely. The comment was leaving the bike in gear while being transported, that means going down the road. Maybe I misunderstood the reason why someone would do that, I assumed it was to act as a parking brake of some sort.

Your comment about controlling the bike while loading/unloading makes no sense to me... the good news is it doesn't have to.

I power my bikes up the ramp running, transport them in neutral and coast them down the ramp using the front brake. Not suggesting you or anyone else do it that way...

Last edited:
Miniscule to designed loads.. obviously. Unnecessary... absolutely. The comment was leaving the bike in gear while being transported, that means going down the road. Maybe I misunderstood the reason why someone would do that, I assumed it was to act as a parking brake of some sort.

Your comment about controlling the bike while loading/unloading makes no sense to me... the good news is it doesn't have to.

I power my bikes up the ramp running, transport them in neutral and coast them down the ramp using the front brake. Not suggesting you or anyone else do it that way...

A lot of these techniques depend on how steep the ramp is, how wide the ramp is, how big the bike is, and how little or big the rider may be. Unlike oil and tires, there might be more than one way.

A lot of these techniques depend on how steep the ramp is, how wide the ramp is, how big the bike is, and how little or big the rider may be. Unlike oil and tires, there might be more than one way.

Not sure what point you're attempting to make (oil and tires?) by stating the obvious. No one is claiming there is only one way to trailer a bike. Someone mentioned his method, I mentioned mine and questions were raised... that's what forums are for. I also stated clearly "Not suggesting you or anyone else do it that way..."

I don't see any value in your post... mentioning only because you quoted me.

A zip tie around the front brake lever also helps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum!

From what I read, those that have had their bikes on a ferry really recommend this tip :thumb

I’m usually into a wheel chock and once in, I tie the wheel to the chock.

Gary

Back