Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Trailer to Trail R1200 GS

  1. #1
    Registered User Back2Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Chester County, PA
    Posts
    23

    Trailer to Trail R1200 GS

    Apologies if this is not where this question goes. I did try using the search function but it kept returning responses that were the wrong context.

    I rented a U-Haul 5x9 trailer to trail my GS. I would like to avoid repeatedly renting from U-Haul. When I try searching for 5x9 utility trailer I mostly get 5x8s. Does anyone know if they can fit a GS on a 5x8? I would think that extra foot room would be handy for loading/unloading.

    When I try searches I keep getting trailers to trail behind a motorcycle.

    Can anyone recommend any good companies or individuals for 5x9 trailers? Better if near Pennsylvania.

    I have seen the foldable motorcycle trailers, but for the cost of one of them I mine as well get a utility open trailer that can be used for various things. Not to mention I question their durability with highway miles.

    B2M

  2. #2
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    16,720
    The 9 foot size isn’t a common size, mainly due to common material sizing- eg 4’X8’ sheets of material. Basic trailers are pretty simple and a good example would be what you would see at a Tractor Supply store.

    This is a pretty good trailer thread I found using the “tag cloud”-

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...orycle-trailer

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #3
    Registered User Back2Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Chester County, PA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    The 9 foot size isn’t a common size, mainly due to common material sizing- eg 4’X8’ sheets of material. Basic trailers are pretty simple and a good example would be what you would see at a Tractor Supply store.

    This is a pretty good trailer thread I found using the “tag cloud”-

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...orycle-trailer

    OM

    Thanks OM, I will have to try out th as t method. But that thread is all about U-Haul trailers. I think they are great but don't want to keep giving U-Haul my money. Not to mention the week I rented my trailer my rental was $69 on Tuesday and $599 on Wednesday!! I did get to speak to U-Haul about it and they had a reasonable explanation but that put it out my co-workers price range for a 2 day rental.

    I would like to purchase a utility trailer. Has any one purchased one primarily for their GS? I have space to store it, so that is not an issue. Are there any companies recommended? Wood versus mesh flooring? Did an 8ft trailer work?

    TIA
    B2M

  4. #4
    Registered User Back2Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Chester County, PA
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    The 9 foot size isn’t a common size, mainly due to common material sizing- eg 4’X8’ sheets of material. Basic trailers are pretty simple and a good example would be what you would see at a Tractor Supply store.

    This is a pretty good trailer thread I found using the “tag cloud”-

    https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...orycle-trailer

    OM
    Ok, see what I was doing wrong with the search. Have found quite a few threads although some 0f them are dated so will appreciate any current 8nfo from folks.

  5. #5
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,968
    A couple of comments from someone who just sold an open 3-rail MC trailer and replaced it with a floored trailer. Yes, you want a floor in the trailer. The open 3-rail was great when I was younger and always had help loading the bike, but both factors have changed.

    8’ is long enough to hold many bikes, but just—and a flip-up ramp may not fully close. My new trailer has a 10’ bed and that’s a very comfortable length that doesn’t take a lot more storage space. As far as deck surfaces, any kind of plywood—even marine plywood—will eventually delaminate if stored outdoors. Pressure-treated lumber would be better IMO. Metal mesh generally works well, but can be unnervingly flexible if not supported adequately. It can also turn into a solid sheet of ice if towed through a winter storm and can let roadspray hit the bikes. “Fishplate” textured aluminum offers great durability and shielding and avoids a lot of corrosion deterioration. 13” or 14” wheels will tow better and last longer than 8” or 12” wheels.

    Steel chassis vs aluminum chassis: Steel will be less expensive but will eventually need paint or corrosion repair. Steel trailers are heavier, which affects net cargo capacity as well as ease of moving around the trailer when unhitched. Steel trailers are far more commonly available (farm stores, Home Despot, Lowe’s, etc) but make sure the trailer has adequate net cargo capacity for the one or two bikes you’ll be loading. On single-axle trailers a 2500lb axle rating is common on trailers for one bike but you’ll want at least a 3500lb axle for a two-bike trailer, and even at that rating some steel utility trailers are heavy enough to not leave adequate net load capacity for two bikes. And if you want a trailer now for one bike there’s a good chance that you’ll eventually wish you’d bought a trailer for two.

    Some motorcycle-specific examples:

    https://theusatrailerstore.com/motorcycle-trailers/
    https://www.alumaklm.com/motorcycle-trailers
    https://razortrailers.com/
    https://www.fthr.com/aluminum-motorcycle-trailers

    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  6. #6
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    16,720
    You are in PA, Car-Mate and CAM Superline are both in PA and great quality.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  7. #7
    Registered User Back2Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Chester County, PA
    Posts
    23
    Wow! Thanks GTRider!!

    Appreciate the feedback on the 3_rail MC trailer. I did look at them but new, they run the same price as a utility trailer. Granted, my '18 CX-9 mpg was cut in half with the 1240lbs empty 5x9 U-Haul utility trailer I will look into the aluminum trailers. I was avoiding 10fts due to weights but it seems like that is not an issue with the aluminum trailers. I usually am solo so ease of getting on and off by myself is critical.

    Thank you for the detailed breakdown of steel versus aluminum. The SUV maxes at 3500lbs and wasn't that happy with about 1700lbs. As much as I would like to trail 2 bikes will likely have to settle for one. May have to consider changing vehicles in the far off future.

    So in essence to find a new or used aluminum 5/6 x 10. Initial searches for used were not that successful. Seems like used aluminum inventory is very limited. OR i can hope and pray a Razor trailer magically appears in my driveway!! Those look really nice!!


    Thanks!


    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    A couple of comments from someone who just sold an open 3-rail MC trailer and replaced it with a floored trailer. Yes, you want a floor in the trailer. The open 3-rail was great when I was younger and always had help loading the bike, but both factors have changed.

    8’ is long enough to hold many bikes, but just—and a flip-up ramp may not fully close. My new trailer has a 10’ bed and that’s a very comfortable length that doesn’t take a lot more storage space. As far as deck surfaces, any kind of plywood—even marine plywood—will eventually delaminate if stored outdoors. Pressure-treated lumber would be better IMO. Metal mesh generally works well, but can be unnervingly flexible if not supported adequately. It can also turn into a solid sheet of ice if towed through a winter storm and can let roadspray hit the bikes. “Fishplate” textured aluminum offers great durability and shielding and avoids a lot of corrosion deterioration. 13” or 14” wheels will tow better and last longer than 8” or 12” wheels.

    Steel chassis vs aluminum chassis: Steel will be less expensive but will eventually need paint or corrosion repair. Steel trailers are heavier, which affects net cargo capacity as well as ease of moving around the trailer when unhitched. Steel trailers are far more commonly available (farm stores, Home Despot, Lowe’s, etc) but make sure the trailer has adequate net cargo capacity for the one or two bikes you’ll be loading. On single-axle trailers a 2500lb axle rating is common on trailers for one bike but you’ll want at least a 3500lb axle for a two-bike trailer, and even at that rating some steel utility trailers are heavy enough to not leave adequate net load capacity for two bikes. And if you want a trailer now for one bike there’s a good chance that you’ll eventually wish you’d bought a trailer for two.

    Some motorcycle-specific examples:

    https://theusatrailerstore.com/motorcycle-trailers/
    https://www.alumaklm.com/motorcycle-trailers
    https://razortrailers.com/
    https://www.fthr.com/aluminum-motorcycle-trailers

    Best,
    DeVern

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    586
    If you're looking for light weight easy on off you may want to consider a https://www.kendonusa.com/ . The single ride up/stand up is easy for one person and has a footprint that can work in a garage for storage.

  9. #9
    Registered User r0ckrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    If you're looking for light weight easy on off you may want to consider a https://www.kendonusa.com/ . The single ride up/stand up is easy for one person and has a footprint that can work in a garage for storage.
    Another thing to look at is renting the U-Haul motorcycle trailer - I hear they are like $35 a day. They say "in state only" but as long as it comes back to the same rental location, how are they going to know (or care)? Reported to be some of the best moto trailers available for use, but they don't sell them.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-18-2020, 11:14 PM
  2. Looking at new Kreiga Trail 18
    By rick601 in forum Gear
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2020, 01:46 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-30-2020, 12:13 AM
  4. Seaway Trail
    By jnrugg in forum Rally Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-21-2016, 03:42 PM
  5. Oil Trail
    By miairhead in forum Airheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-27-2009, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •