• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

F-800 Service light reset

Welcome to the forum!
It can be done at home but it will take one of the specialty devices like the GS-911 or I think it is Motoscan? These are mostly Windoze based.
There are quite a few threads on these devices and how they work. Sometimes a group will buy a GS-911 and share the VIN capacity.
When/if you fill in your location, you may find someone local may be able to help you out.
Good luck.
Gary

BTW, my light has been on for years :blush

Need to know how to do this at Home.
Dealer is gone.
Thanks, I looked at some u-tube videos and that's the way to go.
Now to find a tooth drive belt for less than 564.00 dollars and a
way to set the valves since you need the caps to set clearances.

Now to find a tooth drive belt for less than 564.00 dollars and a
way to set the valves since you need the caps to set clearances.

I just bought one a few months ago from ebay for $105 USD from Latvia for my 08' ST. It took a month or so to deliver, but I was in no rush. I change them every 30k miles, but they are always still in great shape when I remove them. There are tons of dirt cheap ones out these since BMW finally let their exclusive rights to the part number expire.

Just search for a Continental CT1158.

FWIW, I also have had my service light on for the past 52,000 miles. After a few months you don't even see it anymore. I do all my own maintenance and avoid dealerships at all costs.

As for the valves, I've checked mine twice and they have never needed adjustment. In fact, it is exceedingly rare if they do (based on hundreds of comments on the F800.org forum. If you do it, change your plugs while you are in there.

I do all my own maintenance and avoid dealerships at all costs.

Counterpoint: I have done most of our maintenance on BMWs. But I certainly do NOT "avoid dealerships at all costs". In fact I am getting a brake caliper recall taken care of and a routine service taken care of tomorrow. I have bought most of the parts and many of the tires we have used over the years from the same dealership. We have bought a few bikes from them too. And when Voni's G310GS had an engine failure when it was five months out of warranty this dealership (Engle Motors in Kansas City) went to bat for us and BMW covered the replacements of the engine and exhaust, parts and labor, on a goodwill basis. That won't happen from a dealership that has been avoided at all costs.

Counterpoint: ... I have bought most of the parts and many of the tires we have used over the years from the same dealership. We have bought a few bikes from them too. And when Voni's G310GS had an engine failure when it was five months out of warranty this dealership (Engle Motors in Kansas City) went to bat for us and BMW covered the replacements of the engine and exhaust, parts and labor, on a goodwill basis. That won't happen from a dealership that has been avoided at all costs.

I remember when Jack the Ripper(t) hit a deer in Colorado back in the early 1980s. That dealer (Norm Jones at the time) drove to Colorado with a trailer and picked up Jack and his bike. Jack even said he got some percodan for him as well. I always stop in when I am in the area. They took care of me when I was stationed at Ft Riley and had an R75/5.

I remember when Jack the Ripper(t) hit a deer in Colorado back in the early 1980s. That dealer (Norm Jones at the time) drove to Colorado with a trailer and picked up Jack and his bike. Jack even said he got some percodan for him as well. I always stop in when I am in the area. They took care of me when I was stationed at Ft Riley and had an R75/5.

It is a family business. When I first went there in 1984 Norman was the principal owner and general manager and service manager. His son Mike was in charge of parts. When Norm retired Mike became General Manager and his son Adam became in charge of parts. Now Mike is principal owner and Adam is General Manager. And the beat goes on. If there is a better dealership in the U.S. I haven't found it.

Back