Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is there a Dr. in the house?

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    The folks who custom-made my ear protection include a small tube of Vaseline to use sparingly when inserting the plugs. Has worked fine for me for many years.
    I am envious. I've given up on custom made earplugs after having had five pairs in the past. When the mounds were made, ambivalent noise faded to nothing but never equal results with the finished products. I asked my audiologist as why this happens when so many others swear by custom made. Apparently my ear cartilage is unusually soft and is unable to form a good seal. Fortunately foam disposables do work for me.
    Last edited by Paul_F; 05-03-2021 at 02:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_F View Post
    Fortunately foam disposables do work for me.
    I've found that foam disposables actually work better, however...If I wear them 8 hours straight for 2 days then my ear canals get painful. So when I'm on tour its custom-molded all the way. The K1200 is pretty stealthy and I have decent wind protection so the 4-5 db increase is more than tolerable - no ringing in my ears at the end of the day.

I had some bike show custom molded ones, they worked OK until I moved my jaw, then the seal broke and let the noise in. Not impressed, YMMV but mine sucked.

Foam ones are outstanding but because they work by pressing against the ear canal, the pressure makes my ears hurt after 2-3 long days, or several short ones. Not a good solution because I ride pretty much every day at home, and long trips (like the one I'm starting in 3 days) last 2-3 months. Yay retirement!

I use No-Noise and spit on them before inserting them. Every once in a while I wash them with dish soap. They last a long time, I replace them when the stem starts deteriorating, in daily use this is over a year. The actual earplug part with the molded rings apparently lasts forever.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Unfamiliar with No-Noise, where do you find those?

When I got my customs I noticed that the NRR was the same as foam (29DB) - however, with a greasier lube (not smegma (sp??)) the seal seems better than foam and the result seems more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by ramble View Post
    Unfamiliar with No-Noise, where do you find those?
    Revzilla
    2020 R1250 GSA Low