• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is there a Dr. in the house?

ramble

ohbeemer
For years I've used spittle to lube the ear plugs but have found that my vaseline or petro. lip balm seals better. Is vaseline bad for the ear canal? Huh??:stick

I did a bit of googling...seems it is an excepted practice to use petroleum jelly in this situation.

For years I've used spittle to lube the ear plugs but have found that my vaseline or petro. lip balm seals better. Is vaseline bad for the ear canal? Huh??:stick

When you sneeze the ear plugs just may be shot out of your ears at a high rate of speed. You could put an eye out.

I use mineral oil (recommended by my doctor), which I keep in a small bottle, along with Q-Tips in the glove box of each bike. It seems that the mineral oil lasts for the second insertion of the earplugs, but not for a third time. Hence the glove box supply.

Vaseline would work but if I were to use Vaseline, it would have to be a very thin coating of the ear canals.

I have seen spit used many times for molded ear plugs. I guess it because it’s easy and readily available. When custom ear plugs are made, the “release” agent is usually baby oil......a good choice as it’s hygienic.
2 things-
I have seen some use spit from a mouth that is :sick
My Mother told me not to put anything in my ear smaller than my elbow...... so be careful ;)
OM

I gotta wear hearing protection all the time. Even when I pee.

Lanolin hand cleaner, not the pumas ones, works well and keeps my re-usable from getting ear schmegma.

We have enough hand cleaner stations using Permatex 01407 that I don't notice the occasional sandwich baggie filled up for those of us that ride.

I've only seen and heard it as "smegma"... :laugh
And that's how it is in the on-line Mirriam-Webster dictionary.

The problem with saliva is that it's really hard to spit in your own ear- gotta turn your head REALLY fast...that's why it's best to ride with a buddy...a good buddy or a really HOT buddy.

I use a chaga mushroom lotion (not kidding! happened to have some- when it runs out I think I'll go to baby oilor mineral oil)

I use mineral oil (recommended by my doctor), which I keep in a small bottle, along with Q-Tips in the glove box of each bike. It seems that the mineral oil lasts for the second insertion of the earplugs, but not for a third time. Hence the glove box supply.

My Mother told me not to put anything in my ear smaller than my elbow...... so be careful ;) OM

Simply coating the ear canal with a lubricant on a Q Tip is much safer than going digging to remove wax. :)

The folks who custom-made my ear protection include a small tube of Vaseline to use sparingly when inserting the plugs. Has worked fine for me for many years.

The folks who custom-made my ear protection include a small tube of Vaseline to use sparingly when inserting the plugs. Has worked fine for me for many years.

I am envious. I've given up on custom made earplugs after having had five pairs in the past. When the mounds were made, ambivalent noise faded to nothing but never equal results with the finished products. I asked my audiologist as why this happens when so many others swear by custom made. Apparently my ear cartilage is unusually soft and is unable to form a good seal. Fortunately foam disposables do work for me.

Last edited:
Fortunately foam disposables do work for me.

I've found that foam disposables actually work better, however...If I wear them 8 hours straight for 2 days then my ear canals get painful. So when I'm on tour its custom-molded all the way. The K1200 is pretty stealthy and I have decent wind protection so the 4-5 db increase is more than tolerable - no ringing in my ears at the end of the day. :thumb

I had some bike show custom molded ones, they worked OK until I moved my jaw, then the seal broke and let the noise in. Not impressed, YMMV but mine sucked.

Foam ones are outstanding but because they work by pressing against the ear canal, the pressure makes my ears hurt after 2-3 long days, or several short ones. Not a good solution because I ride pretty much every day at home, and long trips (like the one I'm starting in 3 days) last 2-3 months. Yay retirement!

I use No-Noise and spit on them before inserting them. Every once in a while I wash them with dish soap. They last a long time, I replace them when the stem starts deteriorating, in daily use this is over a year. The actual earplug part with the molded rings apparently lasts forever.

When I got my customs I noticed that the NRR was the same as foam (29DB) - however, with a greasier lube (not smegma (sp??)) the seal seems better than foam and the result seems more effective.

Back