• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1150 GSA forks destroyed

scoedaddy

At a red light yesterday. Light turns green, semi starts backing up. I sound horn, start back-peddling as fast as I can, but once his bumper caught my front tire it was over - I bailed to the left. Bike is at towing impound now so I don't have a closer look yet. This is my first BMW (so first exposure to tele-lever front-end). It looked like the fork stanchion tubes were not only bent, but ripped out of the top triple-tree. Also likely damage to front rim and fender, and front shock/spring.

To dislodge it, tow truck guy and I held bike upright while semi pulled forward. He was loaded with 55k pounds of steel.

If that is the extent of the damage I am assuming it's rebuildable. What else structural should I be expecting to replace? I'm in Caldwell, ID. Big Twin in Boise closed, I don't think new BMW "dealer" (Dennis Dillon RV) has a service department. Next closest factory shop would be SLC or Reno? I'm fine doing the wrenching myself, but would like a factory-trained mechanic to inspect for insurance. Any suggestions for SW Idaho?

IMG_0582.jpg

Welcome to the forum!
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
That age, most likely totaled- from what I see. Hopefully the police were able to verify the event. In this kinda deal, I try to get made “whole” from the other guys insurance company leaving mine “clean”.
Of course you need to notify the/your agent of the event.
Glad you are ok.
Good luck.
Gary

Yes, police were called and verified what happened; accident report is pending. Both insurance companies have been notified. I don't want to have a salvage title, but if I can avoid that and get more than enough to repair I'd prefer that. The delta between what this bike is worth and a newer GS would cost is more than I want to take on right now.

Have an experienced tech do a thorough inspection of the neck of the frame: the stress of the impact may have tweaked it, making the bike an automatic "totalled". Also check out the oil cooler and anything below the instruments, and the wiring in there, including the headlight.
As tweaked as the forks are, also inspect the wheel, brake rotors & brake calipers.
And NEVER accept the insurance company's first offer...

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!

I think Dennis Dillon does have a service department but I have no experience with them. Harrison Eurosports in SLC is a good option and I’m sure would be happy to help you with estimates or repair. Alex Stanley is the service manager and is very customer-oriented, so ask for him. Another option is the BMW dealer in Clarkston, WA—Mac’s Cycle.

Good luck,
DeVern

If it ripped the tubes out of the triple tree I would be concerned as mentioned it bent the frame. Also could have cracked the engine where it mounts. I would bet it is a total. Did you happen to hurt anything jumping off?

Sorry to hear about your recent incident but thankful that you’re okay. Regarding a mechanic’s inspection, there is also a BMW shop (Macs Cycle), in Clarkston, WA, across from Lewiston, ID. You may be able to give them a call to see if they can do that for you. I’ve never had any work done for myself by them as I’m particular about who puts a wrench on my bikes and If it’s something I can’t repair, the only dealership I trust is Ozzie’s BMW, Chico, CA. Good luck and hope you’re back on the road soon, either repaired or replaced. Ride easy.

Shawn has an excellent point; inspect not just for "obvious" cracks (and not-so-obvious, which can spread with time), but that the mounting points themselves are still true. I doubt that engine cases are designed to handle semis' tail-gate squish.

In the photo it is obvious that the upper triple clamp is twisted/bent. The angle of the bit of forks that is visible is almost vertical. That entire portion of the frame is very suspect given the force to bend things like this.

By the way, the fault is obvious so I do not agree with the advice to deal with the trucker's insurance company. I would deal with my insurance and let them fight with the other company. But if I didn't like what was happening I would have an attorney ask some questions about the driver's CDL.

By the way, the fault is obvious so I do not agree with the advice to deal with the trucker's insurance company. I would deal with my insurance and let them fight with the other company. But if I didn't like what was happening I would have an attorney ask some questions about the driver's CDL.

My experience had been that, and the reason for my advice, is that dealing directly with your own insurance is a way to go. I have found that one may get paid- less the deductible until the two companies fight it out resulting in lots of delays.
Approaching the “other” insurance company as property damage still leaves the option of using your own insurance if it looks like a big battle. There are benefits to having ones policy “claim free” for best pricing for future insurance premiums.
All this is based on my personal experience in Massachusetts where insurance is very difficult so YMMV.

BTW, I’m currently working a “total” of a registered vehicle with less than 40 miles on it..... using the path I described.
OM

My experience had been that, and the reason for my advice, is that dealing directly with your own insurance is a way to go. I have found that one may get paid- less the deductible until the two companies fight it out resulting in lots of delays.
Approaching the “other” insurance company as property damage still leaves the option of using your own insurance if it looks like a big battle. There are benefits to having ones policy “claim free” for best pricing for future insurance premiums.
All this is based on my personal experience in Massachusetts where insurance is very difficult so YMMV.

BTW, I’m currently working a “total” of a registered vehicle with less than 40 miles on it..... using the path I described.
OM

I have not been in this position since the 1990s so my advice may be dated. But unless they smell a significant loss exposure like from personal injury, insurance adjusters do what they are paid to do. Low ball, intimidate, and use other tactics intended to save the company they represent money. Do not ever assume they are on your side. They are paid not to be.

Go get a medical check up!

Here in Floridah you have 14 days to seek a medical check up in order to claim injury. Not that you would or will have to eventually file one but a suggestion of a personal injury claim against the trucking firm, the company that owns the cargo, the company that loaded the cargo and the the driver would motivate them to make it right with the least amount of financial pain. You would also have a tough time finding an attorney to handle the situation without a suggestion of personal injury to motivate a reasonable settlement or action from a decent attorney.

The bike may be a total because the front subframe is directly connected to the motor and the engine block is a part of the frame of the bike. It locks like there has been a significant amount of stress piled on top of the frontend which may very well have broken the frame mounts on the engine block. You may want to start looking for a replacement bike and getting cost of replacement with a similar (Twin spark) GSA. Do yourself a huge favor and retrive as much of the removable items from the bike as possible such as saddle bags, mounts, GPS, extra lights and other stuff because 9 times outta 10 the insurance company will not cover addons.

Here in Floridah you have 14 days to seek a medical check up in order to claim injury.

That is just plain screwed up evil. There are many injuries that may not manifest themselves within 14 days, and absent symptoms no quickie check up is likely to discover them. But the rule is good for corporate America no doubt about it.

What's the Blue Book on the bike? Most likely around 3-3,500. Probably going to total it with that much damage. If you buy it back it will have a Salvaged title for sure.

Closing the loop on this. The truck driver's insurance company totaled it. Gave me a fair price and even covered the ID sales tax I had just paid to have it titled in ID. For anyone looking for parts, they said they were going to sell it to Copart. Thank you everyone for your input and advice.

At a red light yesterday. Light turns green, semi starts backing up. I sound horn, start back-peddling as fast as I can, but once his bumper caught my front tire it was over - I bailed to the left. Bike is at towing impound now so I don't have a closer look yet. This is my first BMW (so first exposure to tele-lever front-end). It looked like the fork stanchion tubes were not only bent, but ripped out of the top triple-tree. Also likely damage to front rim and fender, and front shock/spring.

To dislodge it, tow truck guy and I held bike upright while semi pulled forward. He was loaded with 55k pounds of steel.

If that is the extent of the damage I am assuming it's rebuildable. What else structural should I be expecting to replace? I'm in Caldwell, ID. Big Twin in Boise closed, I don't think new BMW "dealer" (Dennis Dillon RV) has a service department. Next closest factory shop would be SLC or Reno? I'm fine doing the wrenching myself, but would like a factory-trained mechanic to inspect for insurance. Any suggestions for SW Idaho?

View attachment 83390

Glad you're okay! Something similar happened to a friend, serious injury tho. A LEO acquaintance told me their training was to stay a length behind any stopped vehicle (wether in car or on motor) so that in a second one can move left or right and be outta there.

In regards to “big rigs”, if you can’t make eye contact with the driver, they won’t know you are there. Watch the drivers mirrors.
OM

Sorry for your loss. Glad to see you are OK and you got financially covered.

At a stop light I always make myself visible to the vehicle in front of me. Left side of the #1 position, in 1st gear, left foot down, right foot on the brake.
Ready to make an escape if need be.
They taught me that in riding school years ago.
It's paid off once.

Back