• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GoPro advice for a 2016 R1200RT

lasnin

So, I’m going to the MOA Rally, and am considering a GoPro for this trip. Any advice/experience/suggestions for mounting a new GoPro on my 2016 R1200RT would be welcomed. Thanks in advance and ride safe!

I don't have any experience with the RT, but GoPro makes numerous mounts for both the bike and you. I have a suction cup mount that can be moved around on the bike, a chest mount for me, and a mount for my helmet. I only use one at a time but you need to move the camera around so you don't make the world's most boring videos.

If you haven’t purchased a GoPro yet, you might want to consider a 360° camera as an alternative that will give you more options for a similar cost. The Insta 360 One R is about $80 more than the GoPro Hero9. The Insta360 One R is a modular camera so you get a wide angle lens similar to a GoPro and a 360° lens that allows recording a 360° video. When you mount the 360° camera you get the ability to create views from multiple angles with one mounting point that might take 3-4 GoPro cameras to achieve the same results. This means mounting the camera on a short selfie type stick on handlebars would allow a view back at rider, down the road or off to either side without the need to move the camera or rotate the camera while riding. There are many creative way to use this and you can select the views pretty easily after you take the video in an App that makes it pretty easy to do.

There are many videos on You Tube that show how you can use this type of camera on a motorcycle and where to mount for different effects and views. Just search 360° camera on motorcycle to see examples. Also Shawn Thomas of BMW Motorrad has been doing videos with a 360 camera recently and talks about the advantages of these cameras over a regular GoPro. Most of these cameras use a GoPro type mount allowing you to use many GoPro compatible mounts available.

I use Tackform mounts for both my GoPro cameras and my 360° camera on my 2010 RT. Some are permanently mounted using a ball type mount like a RAM mount to position these cameras in different locations. I also like a clamp on version of these mounts as it is easy to move them around to places like engine bars, grab handles, handlebars, etc. if you don’t want to have a more permanent type mount.

Just a thought to go beyond the traditional GoPro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have mounts on my bike in 3 locations for higher view from the tank, low font angle from my rally boxes and rear view from my top box. I often put a helmet mount on the side of my helmet. All on the left side so I can operate while riding. I have done top mount on my helmet but I found that high up it flattened out the terrain on the video.

Different mounts give totally different perspectives when it comes out on the video.

I like the low mount
[video]https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/20090216[/video]

Cameras.

I watched that linked YT video. I really like the 360°view. Where is the camera mounted? On the side of the helmet? I see in the video he also has a wire mounted front camera. I'm also interested in getting some cameras for my K1600GTL. Was thinking of a helmet mounted 1 & another setup that has a screen and 2 wired cameras; mount 1 looking forward & another possibly looking towards the rear.

If you are going to buy a GoPro, you'll want a 7/8/9 as the earlier versions do not have the advanced motion stabilization. I also use suction cup mounting and change to a new spot at each break, that way I have different viewpoints.

Back