Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: From RT to GS looking for opinions

wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by jsd View Post
    I thought seriously of the RS, I really like the look of it. However after seeing one in the dealer lot next to a GS I realized what a difference the riding position is. 10 years ago I would have gone the RS route however at 51 I think the upright GS is more appealing. Only getting older from here. Bar backs ETC would help but looking at the differences on Cycle Ergo it would still be an excessive forward lean.
    Living on dirt rds in Vt I am not afraid of them on the RT, I was looking for some VA logging roads or trails, if I go the GS route.
    Having had RTs and a GS in the past I moved to the RS for several of the reasons you mention. Yes the RS riding position is more folded up than either the GS or RT. I mitigated that somewhat by bar risers and peg lowering kit and getting the 2nd highest seat. I'm 74 and did not want the too tall, top heavy GS and did not need the long travel suspension as I only ride improved dirt roads where the suspension on road mode is just fine. The dirt road limitation is the wide, no traction tires. However, The handling on the twisties is outstanding. Love the low CofG and candidly the less weight is a real plus as I age.
    I've found the RS fairing just right (I do have a bit wider, not taller, windscreen to keep the rain off my shoulders.) In fact the RS fairing coverage is more in line with my first 1982 R100RT.

The fun thing about bikes you get to pick one you like and tailor it to your needs.....enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Interesting. I feel no excessive heat from my GS and I live in AZ. I do wear motorcycle boots and motorcycle pants when I ride.

Well, you gotta do you, so I am glad you had a demo ride to find out that the GS is not for you. Enjoy your ride!
    Well in defense of the GS it was an 89 degree day and an unbroken in engine that I am sure puts out a little more heat than once broken in a little. I timed the test ride for a reasonable hot day on purpose for a back to back comparison, wearing motorcycle boots and pants, vented BMW boots though which are cooler (on the RT anyways). It seems on the GS, R & RS there is nothing between the engine cylinders, exhaust etc and the rider where the RT has some plastic creating a shield. I assumed looking at the bike that enough air would pass by at least at speeds above 30 to mix the air but it didn't seem that way even on the interstate above 75 I could still feel quite a bit of heat on legs and feet. Enough to make it uncomfortable, where the RT is only uncomfortable at low speeds due to the lack of air exchange on the upper body. I had a Kawasaki Concours and Yamaha FJR that both suffered from having too much plastic where the heat couldn't get out, I may be a little hyper sensitive to the issue. I understand Kawasaki had fixed the issue in later models but by then I had a Hex Head RT which put off next to no heat at all. If I get too big of an itch for less plastic I may end up with a GS and just get some foot protectors to at least create a barrier.

I was not really looking but went from a 15 RT to a 17.5 GS and never looked back.

First it was a low and when I sat on it I fell in love. It was over the second my butt hit the seat.

I can not explain why or what called me but I had to have it and took a bit of a financial bath and took it home.

I ride with a top box and no side cases. I love the way the bike looks with no cases and it is a bit less weight to move around especially with no side case full of crap.

And part of it was I wanted the newer transmission upgrades of the 17 and on, but had NO plans of moving on that.

Then my riding buddy totaled his GS in front of me and I went bike replacement shopping with him which in hind sight was my big mistake.

I dont mind any additional exposure with less fairing and in the summer it is better for me.

I have no regrets over getting the GS over the RT. And if I was not so old and busted up I would throw a set of the knobbiest tires I could and go run the snot out of it in the dirt and PA mountains.

If you want a GS go do it. Trust me when I say life is short and gets shorter faster then you can believe.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Everything Lee said +1

BTW, if you are sensitive to engine heat, don't ride a Pan America... in Phoenix... at 98 degrees.
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    I was not really looking but went from a 15 RT to a 17.5 GS and never looked back.

First it was a low and when I sat on it I fell in love. It was over the second my butt hit the seat.

I can not explain why or what called me but I had to have it and took a bit of a financial bath and took it home.

I ride with a top box and no side cases. I love the way the bike looks with no cases and it is a bit less weight to move around especially with no side case full of crap.

And part of it was I wanted the newer transmission upgrades of the 17 and on, but had NO plans of moving on that.

Then my riding buddy totaled his GS in front of me and I went bike replacement shopping with him which in hind sight was my big mistake.

I dont mind any additional exposure with less fairing and in the summer it is better for me.

I have no regrets over getting the GS over the RT. And if I was not so old and busted up I would throw a set of the knobbiest tires I could and go run the snot out of it in the dirt and PA mountains.

If you want a GS go do it. Trust me when I say life is short and gets shorter faster then you can believe.
    Great reply I am lucky the dealers do not have any Low Model GS's on the floors right now so I have had too much time to waffle on the subject. Once they get some I may try again on a slightly cooler day to see if 89 is just too much. I do not often ride above 85 so that extreme of a test was not quite necessary. I also found some foot protectors that would help. Screenshot_2021-05-03 Foot Protectors for BMW R 1250 GS R 1250 GS Adventure.png

Quote Originally Posted by jsd View Post
    Great reply I am lucky the dealers do not have any Low Model GS's on the floors right now so I have had too much time to waffle on the subject. Once they get some I may try again on a slightly cooler day to see if 89 is just too much. I do not often ride above 85 so that extreme of a test was not quite necessary. I also found some foot protectors that would help. Screenshot_2021-05-03 Foot Protectors for BMW R 1250 GS R 1250 GS Adventure.png
    Cool.

Thank you for sharing those.

I am just really fine with the exposure side of the GS. I think that is what called me it excited me to feel a bit of air again. Now I am not getting beat up, my AEROFLOW shield is wonderful and I wear gear. I can say I really enjoy what air I get and it does not feel that much more to me. It is not like riding naked bikes I can get my knees close to the tank and not much of me is sticking out.

I wear Stitch gear and heated clothing in the winter but those rides have gotten fewer as the years go up on me.

All in all I love the GS. It made riding fun for me again and lit something in me so it has a home.

I did look at a RS and I do like them but I just cant go back to front forks again. I am used to no dive braking and if I give that up, it will be for that ugly R18 that keeps calling my name.
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Is the guard intended to keep engine heat off your feet?
    Who makes it?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Is the guard intended to keep engine heat off your feet?
    Who makes it?
    I believe it is more of a water guard but it would create a barrier for heat as well. Made by GIVI according to Twisted Throttle.

- Protects & preserves the swingarm and exhaust heat shield
    - Safeguards against scratches & scrapes from boots & protective footwear

R1250 gsa

I have had three GS/GSA's and in the middle went for an RT. I liked the RT but found the slight forward lean cramped my shoulders after a long ride. So went back to a lowered GSA and now to a stock GSA. I LOVE these bikes and the riding position. They are much easier to work on, remove the lower crash guards and you can get at everything, except the air filter. But on the GS/GSA's the last body panel you put on and first to take off is the cover for the gas tank and air filter. The RT it is the opposite, who thought that was a good idea. Even the coolant overflow tank has a trap door for access. One mans opinion.
    David Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2015 R1200GSA-LC

2016 R1200GS v. 2015 RT

My riding budding has a 2015 RT and I have a 2016 GS. We just (last week) finished a 4700 mile ride. Some observations,

1. The RT gets about 100 miles more range per tank of gas, and gets about 10% better gas mileage (presumably due in part to being more streamlined.)

2. The grip heaters on my GS have only two settings (inadequate control, in my opinion) whereas the RT has a much wider range of adjustability.

We both like our own bikes better than the one the other rides. He plans to get a new RT this year.

I can't directly address the 1200 bikes. But I can comment in general because I went through the same conundrum when I bought a new R1150. I found the RT to be too bulbous. The GS was taller than I liked. So I bought an R1150R, installed the OEM "Touring" windshield, sometimes used dual sport tires, and enjoyed the bike for 189,000 miles. I considered it the best compromise.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/