Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 1995 R1100RSL oil sight glass blowout on a trip

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtraphagen View Post
    Thank you all -- I am grateful. And Paul, thank you sincerely for the tips and information.

The bike and I are home. I have profound hearing loss and have to turn down my hearing aids when wearing my helmet (to prevent too much feedback) -- while I definitely heard the different sound while starting up in the motel parking lot, I wasn't sure I would hear it on a very windy day at freeway speeds. I pulled over more than once to check it. After riding for a while, I noticed it was weeping more.

Basically, all of the dynamics that caused it to launch out in the first place were still in play. I couldn't trust it.

So...my wife found a Uhaul truck not far away and the bike got a ride home for the last 600 miles. The challenge became finding suitable places to tie down the RSL in the truck...basically, it was floating in a spiderweb of ratchet straps. We made it home just fine.

I have a new sight glass (and one for my R1100R, too) -- as mentioned, the new one is actually glass. Tomorrow, it gets installed during an oil change.

Again, thank you all sincerely. It's really good to know y'all are out there.

Mitch
    Great wife!
    om
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    Again, thank you all sincerely. It's really good to know y'all are out there.

Mitch
    And Thank You for updating your progress. It is really good to get a wrap up by the OP to finish out the thread for others in the future. Looking forward to yours after you complete the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Great wife!
    om
    That she is. This is my second cross country for an old BMW motorcycle in seven months.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    And Thank You for updating your progress. It is really good to get a wrap up by the OP to finish out the thread for others in the future. Looking forward to yours after you complete the replacement.
    I will do just that. Will have the weekend to give it a nice test.

Changed the oil, filter and installed the new sight glass yesterday. Tested it out on a ride today -- no drips, no weeping, the seam, such as it is, doesn't look wet at all.

The new sight glass (which is actually glass, compared to the plastic version that launch itself from the bike) took a surprising amount of pressure to press in. When I pressed in the old one after it shot itself out, that required very little pressure, just easily pushed it in with my thumb. With the new one, I ended up tapping it in using a 30mm socket. I'm not overly worried about it randomly flying out anytime soon.

In removing the old one, I did have to use a soldering iron to make a small hole and then used a wood screw as a grip for removal. It came out easily. I cleaned everything up with Brake Kleen sprayed onto a rag before installing the new one.

With glass, I'm not sure how this one could be removed -- but I think I'll have a number of years before having to worry about it.

Once again, thank you sincerely for all of the input and assistance in that Kentucky motel parking lot. I am grateful!

Mitch

Left Coast Rider
    With glass, I'm not sure how this one could be removed -- but I think I'll have a number of years before having to worry about it.
    A drill and then a screw - but you don't have to worry about doing it again. Great story, great wife, great ride!