Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1995 R1100RSL oil sight glass blowout on a trip

Quote Originally Posted by smittyblackstone View Post
    Here is what I did.
    Being an A&P I like it... but curl those ends so they don't rip open a finger when washing or... whatever.

heavy duty?

I have one of these coming, which they describe as "heavy duty". It will be stored in my bike for just in case. No idea if "heavy duty" is any less likely to blow out. https://www.beemershop.com/product/e...ght-glass.html

I'm picking up a 94 1100rs in two days. One owner bike, and my information is that the sight glass has been changed once already. Is this a recurring issue and if so, any idea of mileage between failures or time? The bike has 56000 miles on her, but most of those miles were pre 2014 when he moved up to a 1200 GS, so the bike has sat in the garage for most of the last 7 years with enough miles just to barely keep the battery charged.

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    I'm picking up a 94 1100rs in two days. One owner bike, and my information is that the sight glass has been changed once already. Is this a recurring issue and if so, any idea of mileage between failures or time? The bike has 56000 miles on her, but most of those miles were pre 2014 when he moved up to a 1200 GS, so the bike has sat in the garage for most of the last 7 years with enough miles just to barely keep the battery charged.
    The rubber has had time to harden and lose elasticity. I would replace it as preventative maintenance.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    I don’t think there is a pattern based upon time or mileage. Some blow out early, some late, and some never do blow out. I replaced the sight glass in my ‘95 R1100RSL at about 95k after it blew out when the bike backfired on a cold late September morning about 650 miles from home. I cleaned everything, drove the sight glass back in using a borrowed socket, and rode it home. If you are really concerned about it a preventative measure is shown in one of the photos above.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Not something to worry about, failure rate is very low.
    02 R1150R ABS, 04 R1150R, 05 R1100S BCR, 16 S1000XR

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    The rubber has had time to harden and lose elasticity. I would replace it as preventative maintenance.
    Thanks for the advice Paul. I'll go ahead and replace as one of the first things I do. Bought this bike to tinker and learn from. Even at 70 years young, I try to never stop learning something new, and the neighbors are running out of new and challenging repairs in the neighborhood, so this is my new challenge. Not much of a mechanic, but with a Manual, and advice from folks such as on this forum, it's as good as being in a classroom. I hope to not bore you folks in the future with silly questions. With the bike setting so long I'm sure the advice about dried out rubber or paper gaskets as such will be well remembered as I go through the bike.

I didn’t realize this was a “thing”.

My 90,000 R1100 RS has the original, so what is the procedure to remove the sight glass, for replacement?
    2000 R1100 RS
    2009 Jaguar XK

Quote Originally Posted by walshj1024 View Post

My 90,000 R1100 RS has the original, so what is the procedure to remove the sight glass, for replacement?
    Use a soldering pencil to melt a hole in the plastic, then pry out the sight glass using a seal puller or a screwdriver and wood shim, being careful either way to not scratch the bore the sight glass fits into.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS

It's only a thing if the bike has been sitting unused for years, or if you see oil weeping from the sight glass. Keep in mind, that the original sight window was plastic, so the advice to melt the old one to make a hole. The replacement sight windows are GLASS and must be very carefully installed or they will shatter.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    The replacement sight windows are GLASS and must be very carefully installed or they will shatter.
    Aaarrgh…I have mixed feelings on that. Glass solves the clouding issue that affected the plastic windows, and most likely once the glass unit is installed it likely will never need replacement in the newer bikes that came with a retention provision for the sight glass. But the prospect of doing a clean & reinstall of the glass unit in a motel parking lot would, on an older oilhead, would have me looking seriously at the safety-wire solution pictured earlier in the thread.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Not something to worry about, failure rate is very low.
    Any failure which causes the immediate and complete evacuation of engine oil, likely onto one's rear tire and which can result in catastrophic engine failure, is something to be concerned with. I'm familiar with 3 occurences and would recommend heeding Paul's, DeVern's and others' advice.

Sounds like a rainy weekend project. So the replacement glass, are also a press fit?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Use a soldering pencil to melt a hole in the plastic, then pry out the sight glass using a seal puller or a screwdriver and wood shim, being careful either way to not scratch the bore the sight glass fits into.

Best,
    DeVern
    2000 R1100 RS
    2009 Jaguar XK

Left Coast Rider
    Sounds like a rainy weekend project. So the replacement glass, are also a press fit?

Thanks.
    Yup.

Thank you all -- I am grateful. And Paul, thank you sincerely for the tips and information.

The bike and I are home. I have profound hearing loss and have to turn down my hearing aids when wearing my helmet (to prevent too much feedback) -- while I definitely heard the different sound while starting up in the motel parking lot, I wasn't sure I would hear it on a very windy day at freeway speeds. I pulled over more than once to check it. After riding for a while, I noticed it was weeping more.

Basically, all of the dynamics that caused it to launch out in the first place were still in play. I couldn't trust it.

So...my wife found a Uhaul truck not far away and the bike got a ride home for the last 600 miles. The challenge became finding suitable places to tie down the RSL in the truck...basically, it was floating in a spiderweb of ratchet straps. We made it home just fine.

I have a new sight glass (and one for my R1100R, too) -- as mentioned, the new one is actually glass. Tomorrow, it gets installed during an oil change.

Again, thank you all sincerely. It's really good to know y'all are out there.

Mitch