• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Florida to California and back

wwalton

Leaving from florida heading west to California next week, via Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada. Coming home by a more northerly path, I've got a huge blank spot in route knowledge to get from northeastern Arkansas to the eastern side of TN. If anyone has any suggestions to get across Tennessee, I'd appreciate the info.
thanks

You'll need to cross the Mississippi so that limits your approach somewhat. Coming from Arkansas, I'd say suck it up and cross at Memphis. Just make sure you have plenty of fuel, so you can ride straight through. As long as it's not rush-hour, it's not too bad. If you have time to kill, or the weather stops you, there's always Graceland. And Memphis does have some good BBQ joints. Take US 64 across the southern part of the state. The scenery isn't much, but the road moves well, no big cities to contend with after Memphis. Shiloh National Military part is just south of Adamsville, if you're a Civi War buff. Another interesting side trip that's not too far out of the way would be to take 50 north out of Fayetteville to Lynchburg and the Jack Daniel Distillery. I think they have opened the tours again, but call first if your interested. When you get to Winchester, I strongly recommend taking US41 Alt. (old US 64 ) towards Cowan and up the Cumberland Plateau toward Monteagle. You will go right by Jim Olivers Smokehouse, a good place to eat. Big place on the south side of the road just before I-24, can't miss it. Of course, at this point if you need to make time, you can get on the interstate. However, if you want to stay on the scenic route the rest of the way across Tennessee, swing through Chattanooga and take I-75 north towards Cleveland. Exit back onto US 64 again. Here it will follow the Ocoee river, very scenic, but traffic can be a bit heavy. That takes you out the east side of the state. If you want to go south from there, highway 68 at Ducktown will take you into the north Georgia mountains and on towards Atlanta. Have a great ride.

You have limited Mississippi crossings. You have Cairo, IL. Or 155 at Caruthersville, AR and the previously mentioned Memphis. My question would be time. There is a lot of nice country two lane roads to ride if you have time.

I often cross the Mississippi at Helena, AR, just south of Memphis. Once past Memphis, head back north into TN & pickup your favorite route.

Well, you can scratch my mention of Jim Oliver's Smokehouse off the list. Today it burned to the ground. Same location since 1975, sad.

If you have time, a dry day, and something different in mind for a Mississippi crossing. This ferry is a fun diversion. It is in MO, crossing into KY, but oh so close to AR- TN. I found it while at a gas stop watching huge wreck closing my Interstate route that I didn’t want to do anyways. It was in the middle of
farmland!

EC53F78D-4484-4087-99D3-4F2E6334F8B3.jpeg

54705E90-F02A-402C-8B38-B849DE2D83B4.jpeg

618A7641-4356-49D6-8ACA-59DD828245ED.jpeg

E2B90C6E-357D-4E28-BEA6-B92E80A2A9D7.jpeg
Little push button to call for the KY side to come get you

19C43E56-B6A7-465D-A254-2B8D8EF7FE4C.jpeg

If you have time, a dry day, and something different in mind for a Mississippi crossing. This ferry is a fun diversion. It is in MO, crossing into KY, but oh so close to AR- TN. I found it while at a gas stop watching huge wreck closing my Interstate route that I didn’t want to do anyways. It was in the middle of
farmland!

View attachment 83374

View attachment 83375

View attachment 83376

View attachment 83377
Little push button to call for the KY side to come get you

View attachment 83378

It is named the Dorena-Hickman Ferry

It is off Hwy 77 south of Wyatt, MO (which is generally east of New Madrid, MO) and connects to Hickman, KY.

That swing rig on the tug was cool. He swung out and around after he got off the sandbar landing. Felt like modern day Tom Sawyer crossing on a flat deck :thumb

Little change in direction, thanks for all the input

Thanks for all the input. I've changed the direction slightly. From the Taos area, about June 6, I'll be heading across the northern part of OK to spend a couple days riding the fine Arkansas roads centering on the Jasper, AR area. From there, I'll be meandering down to the US49 crossing near Helena, southwest of Memphis, and on through MS on a beeline for the Barber Museum. I visited there in 2015 and have been wanting to do so again. From there, across hwy25 to Vincent then up past Talladega to the top part of Cheaha park and then south through the park before heading through Georgia to Florida. Thanks again

Back