Thread: Missing Spare Key

Missing Spare Key

I just picked up my new GS on Saturday and it didn’t have the spare key. The dealer said they had delivered others that had a missing key. They are contacting BMW. Has anyone else experienced this?

Bill

Did it have a TPS?

I have an '18 RT that came with the extra key, but I ordered an extra Fob just in case.

Welcome aboard. Great people here.

E.

Quote Originally Posted by easy View Post
    Did it have a TPS?

I have an '18 RT that came with the extra key, but I ordered an extra Fob just in case.

Welcome aboard. Great people here.

E.
    Throttle position sensor? I assume so but I don’t get a possible connection to a missing emergency key.

Mixed with other documents?

Bill,

My spare came mixed in with the owners manual, warranty booklet and other docks, was kind of hard to see until I shook everything out.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by REDC650GT View Post
    Bill,

My spare came mixed in with the owners manual, warranty booklet and other docks, was kind of hard to see until I shook everything out.

Chris
    We went through all of that at the dealership. They also searched their key rack where the fob was hanging with no luck. I went back through it when I got home. I’ll do it again tonight but if it’s there it is well hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by BillWalker View Post
    Throttle position sensor? I assume so but I don’t get a possible connection to a missing emergency key.
    I'm guessing he means TPMS, Tire Pressure Measuring System. Although I don't understand why that would have any connection either

Quote Originally Posted by BillWalker View Post
    We went through all of that at the dealership. They also searched their key rack where the fob was hanging with no luck. I went back through it when I got home. I’ll do it again tonight but if it’s there it is well hidden.
    They should provide you with one at no cost because you didn't get what you paid for: buy a plastic key, get a fob and a new bike for free!
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

The TPMS issue is related to the current world-wide chip shortage. That may be a factor in the missing emergency key as well, since it contains a chip of some sort. The dealer can order a replacement spare- I would think that should be a N/C item by either BMW or the dealer. The dealer will need to see the bike title and photo ID like driver’s license to place the order.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    The TPMS issue is related to the current world-wide chip shortage. That may be a factor in the missing emergency key as well, since it contains a chip of some sort. The dealer can order a replacement spare- I would think that should be a N/C item by either BMW or the dealer. The dealer will need to see the bike title and photo ID like driver’s license to place the order and make you jump through a few more hoops in order to receive what you should have received from the start.
    Best,
    DeVern
    FTFY

Unfortunately this “customer needs to do most of the work” has become common.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    FTFY

Unfortunately this “customer needs to do most of the work” has become common.
    OM
    Well, we live in an era that’s pushing fear pretty hard so between the dealers, BMWNA, and BMWAG fear of fraud has made it more of a process to replace keys. OTOH, until they sort out exactly what went down in the case cited in this thread I’m kinda glad they are a little more strict. I remember losing a Honda key back in the late 60s. The dealer always held back one key from every bike sold, and when I inquired about a key I was handed the box of keys and told to “find one that fits.”

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Well, we live in an era that’s pushing fear pretty hard so between the dealers, BMWNA, and BMWAG fear of fraud has made it more of a process to replace keys. OTOH, until they sort out exactly what went down in the case cited in this thread I’m kinda glad they are a little more strict. I remember losing a Honda key back in the late 60s. The dealer always held back one key from every bike sold, and when I inquired about a key I was handed the box of keys and told to “find one that fits.”

Best,
    DeVern
    I think you missed my point. Why should the customer have to do all the work? It was a new bike.

BTW, I think I remember hearing there was 9? keys for all the Honda’s

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I think you missed my point. Why should the customer have to do all the work? It was a new bike.
    No, I get what you’re saying about the customer having to “do the work” of furnishing the paperwork that BMW requires for a replacement key. But look at it from BMW’s perspective, where the “bike was missing a key” request would potentially be subject to abuse. I’d agree that if the missing key was discovered at the dealership and before delivery the dealer should have been able to get BMW to cough up a correctly coded key based upon the MSO, but then I haven’t seen the internal workings of BMW’s key security structure. Experience on the car side has likely driven some of the increased security.

BTW, I think I remember hearing there was 9? keys for all the Honda’s

OM
    I don’t doubt that. I remember the key having numbers stamped on it, and finding a key that worked the ignition and fork lock but the head didn’t match my old key so I kept digging until I found a perfect match. I think I was a lot more patient then than now…

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber

This is a good place to again tell a story. We were at the Top O Rockies rally at Paonia, Colorado. A friend from Kansas received notice of a family emergency and rapidly packed up to head home. Once his gear was all packed he couldn't find the key to his motorcycle. He rummaged through the gear and still couldn't find the key. We got on the rally PA system and asked anybody who had spare K75 or K100 keys to come to where his bike was parked. Several people came with their keys and by the fifth or sixth try we found a key that worked. He rode home with that key. Once home he mailed the key back to the kind lender. And he found his key in his sleeping bag when all was unpacked.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/