• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigating with iPhone

michterp

Hi;

New to the forum and couldn't find the simple answers I seek. What is a good way to map out a route, send it to my iPhone and then navigate by it while riding? I don't have a Garmin or anything other than Google and my iPhone. Thanks.

You can determine your route on the Google web site and then send txt with a link to the instructions, to your iPhone. Once you tap the link, your google maps app in your phone will open. The Apple maps app works in a similar fashion.

Pocket Earth

I like the app “pocket earth” for this purpose. I build routes with the app on my ipad and open them with the app on my iphone. One can build them on the phone as well but it’s easier on the ipad. Very easy to use and it will give turn by turn instructions to my headset via bluetooth. Ive used it for 5 or 6 years. Open street maps(osm) are used.

my two bits..

buy a garmin. they are cheap and easy to use. get an MC specific one.

keep your phone in your pocket. if you ever have an "off", you will be happy you have your phone with you to call for help....rather than it flying off the bike somewhere never to be found....

I use an iPhone to navigate with but the problem I’ve had is that it would overheat in the sunlight shutting it down. I solved this by putting it in my tankbag with my water bladder just listening to the directions in my helmet. It’s not ideal but works. I’m going switch to the Garmin.

My Garmin Nav IV is useless... for starters it can't be seen except after dark. Problem solved with a Duraforce Pro for much, much, much less than a Garmin.

To the OP... research the info in the link I provided and you'll find what you're looking for.

My Garmin Nav IV is useless... for starters it can't be seen except after dark. Problem solved with a Duraforce Pro for much, much, much less than a Garmin.

To the OP... research the info in the link I provided and you'll find what you're looking for.

There is no single answer to navigation tech. Some like dedicated units like Garmin. Some like their phones. I have seem iPads handlebar mounted too.

By now the Nav IV is pretty long in the tooth. More modern Garmin units have much better displays.

Back