Thread: Navigating with iPhone

Navigating with iPhone

Hi;

New to the forum and couldn't find the simple answers I seek. What is a good way to map out a route, send it to my iPhone and then navigate by it while riding? I don't have a Garmin or anything other than Google and my iPhone. Thanks.

You can determine your route on the Google web site and then send txt with a link to the instructions, to your iPhone. Once you tap the link, your google maps app in your phone will open. The Apple maps app works in a similar fashion.

Pocket Earth

I like the app ďpocket earthĒ for this purpose. I build routes with the app on my ipad and open them with the app on my iphone. One can build them on the phone as well but itís easier on the ipad. Very easy to use and it will give turn by turn instructions to my headset via bluetooth. Ive used it for 5 or 6 years. Open street maps(osm) are used.

Last edited by GIARCG; 04-26-2021 at 12:27 AM.

my two bits..

buy a garmin. they are cheap and easy to use. get an MC specific one.

keep your phone in your pocket. if you ever have an "off", you will be happy you have your phone with you to call for help....rather than it flying off the bike somewhere never to be found....
    Marshall
    92 K75s, 94 K75s, 09 K1300s

Jerry Emhoff
    I use an iPhone to navigate with but the problem Iíve had is that it would overheat in the sunlight shutting it down. I solved this by putting it in my tankbag with my water bladder just listening to the directions in my helmet. Itís not ideal but works. Iím going switch to the Garmin.
    Winter is coming

My Garmin Nav IV is useless... for starters it can't be seen except after dark. Problem solved with a Duraforce Pro for much, much, much less than a Garmin.

To the OP... research the info in the link I provided and you'll find what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by GIARCG View Post
    My Garmin Nav IV is useless... for starters it can't be seen except after dark. Problem solved with a Duraforce Pro for much, much, much less than a Garmin.

To the OP... research the info in the link I provided and you'll find what you're looking for.
    There is no single answer to navigation tech. Some like dedicated units like Garmin. Some like their phones. I have seem iPads handlebar mounted too.

By now the Nav IV is pretty long in the tooth. More modern Garmin units have much better displays.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    More modern Garmin units have much better displays.
    I'll never know... I found the solution I was looking for.