Thread: Year the RT went to float vs. strip

Cool Year the RT went to float vs. strip

Learning from this forum about the hex RT as I currently have a '07. It has had one fuel strip replaced last June by PO and has been flawless. Want to know, for my information, what year the float replaced the strip for the RT. Have seen one review/spec article and it mentioned MY '13 was the first. Thanks
    '07 RT in Silver

I think the switch happened during the model year 2011 production. My 2011 RT has the float.
    Ken Martin
    2011 R1200RT
    Kingsport, TN

The change took place during the 2010 model year. Some early 2010 models have the fuel strip, but most of the 2010 models have a float. Examining the parts fiche at MAX BMW or Realoem.com suggests that the float might have been limited to Camhead models produced in August 2009, with the float being used in everything produced after September 2009.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Appreciate the info. Glad to hear the switch was earlier than I was thinking or informed of. Didn't even consider a fiche search btw
    '07 RT in Silver

lkraus is correct, at some point in 2010 model year BMW made the switch. I bought a used 2010 and was (un)lucky enough to get a model with the fuel strip. For now I haven't had any issues except when it is full it seems to be 1 bar below the full reading on the LCD display. Otherwise it has held up so far.

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    The change took place during the 2010 model year. Some early 2010 models have the fuel strip, but most of the 2010 models have a float. Examining the parts fiche at MAX BMW or Realoem.com suggests that the float might have been limited to Camhead models produced in August 2009, with the float being used in everything produced after September 2009.
    2010 BMW R1200RT
    2014 BMW C650GT (sold)
    MOA # 208387

Don't know if this could be related or of any help.

I have a 2004 1150RT that has the float level sensor and when purchased in 2014 it had the same issue of a fully topped off tank that would register 1 bar less than full on the RID display. Researching this, found an article that inferred that the main ground wire coming from the tank builds up too much resistance at the main connector leading to the display error. Article suggested to remove the ground at the connector or cut the wire before the connector and bypass the connection by going straight to the negative terminal of the battery. Interestingly, when doing this I had to add a connector to increase the length of the ground wire to get to the battery terminal. Anyways, this solution has corrected the RID display error for 6+ years now. Wonder if this might be the same issue and work with the strip level sensor problem you have.

You might be able to use a test lead attached to the battery negative terminal and then try to probe up into the back of the connector where the ground wire is to see if that changes the display just after you fill up. The other option might be to take a needle or pin and poke it through the wire vs. probing into the back of the connector.
    Jim "BewareBoy" Snyder
    Cincinnati, OH
    2004 R1150RT

to all replies
    '07 RT in Silver

Quote Originally Posted by bewareboy View Post
    Don't know if this could be related or of any help.

I have a 2004 1150RT that has the float level sensor and when purchased in 2014 it had the same issue of a fully topped off tank that would register 1 bar less than full on the RID display. Researching this, found an article that inferred that the main ground wire coming from the tank builds up too much resistance at the main connector leading to the display error. Article suggested to remove the ground at the connector or cut the wire before the connector and bypass the connection by going straight to the negative terminal of the battery. Interestingly, when doing this I had to add a connector to increase the length of the ground wire to get to the battery terminal. Anyways, this solution has corrected the RID display error for 6+ years now. Wonder if this might be the same issue and work with the strip level sensor problem you have.

You might be able to use a test lead attached to the battery negative terminal and then try to probe up into the back of the connector where the ground wire is to see if that changes the display just after you fill up. The other option might be to take a needle or pin and poke it through the wire vs. probing into the back of the connector.

Mine does the same thing, but i stood the bike straight up when filling and it now reads full. You might try that. if I leave mine on sidestand it doesn't quite fill up.