• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Whizzy Maintenance Schedule

bogdan

One of the joys of owning my 2004 R1150R ABS is changing the brake fluid - especially since I swore I'd no longer do pain in the cola/dupa work. The job has been done three times, at two year intervals, since I've owned the bike. The first time by a respected wrench, but he stopped being available for work like that. I couldn't find anyone I trusted so - despite my oath - the last two flushes I did myself. My first effort showed the old fluid clear in the front and a little brown in the rear. The last time both front and rear fluid pumped out clear as new - the clutch fluid look fine as well. Here's my question: Until recently the bike and I lived in Colorado where it's dry. I now reside in St. Louis, Missouri - quite humid here. Have you guys, that also live in a humid climate, found two years between changes sufficient ? Do I have to do it yearly as BMW recommends ? This brake system is a maintenance nuisance but it sure works well.

I live in Ca. and ride my bikes year round, usually more in the winter cooler months. I avoid rain and snow as much as possible and keep the bikes in my unheated garage. I do flush mine every three years and the fluids have always seemed very clear. If I had been seeing poor fluid while bleeding I'd probably be flushing my systems with shorter time period.

As I don't really mind doing it I've stuck with the two year interval. I have noticed however that after purging the fleet of the OEM rubber hoses (after a few failures) and gone to Spieglers the appearance of the fluid has improved dramatically... and that makes sense to me. I have considered stretching it to as much as four years as a result.

I am a big believer in system flushes on my cars and bikes... have had very few brake system issues. I will say however that the two ABS pump removals I have done on bikes ('04 RT and GT) both times the fault appeared to be with one of the servo motors not kicking on. Both times I could tap on the motor with power applied and it would run... but I could not count on it so off they came. I don't see how brake fluid could be the cause of that.

Back