• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

wiring help, SWB early 1971 R75/5 (engine harness wiring with alternator)

brant914

Hi everyone.

I think I need some visual help
Here is a picture of my 1971 R75/5, front motor wiring with the alternator harness

As I look for images on the internet
I find many pictures on newer bikes
they have a Y harness that connects to the alternator body, and then the diode board

I went through all of my boxes from disassembly 3 years ago
I do not have that harness (used) from disassembly

also... this early stock alternator does not have the electrical connection to mount the Y harness

it has occurred to me that possibly a previous owner removed the bolt on connector and removed the old harness prior to my ownership
but what seems more likely is that this early (non fused) bike may have had different wiring for the Diode board

additionally....
I now feel like I need to confirm the wiring on my diode board now.
I have the large (Left side when facing forward with the bike) connector on the left of the diode board (large spade)
Next to the large spade I had an open terminal

but on the opposite side... (Right when facing with the bike) the spade is open on my diode board
it looks like something needs to go there... but I don't have a harness and can't figure out what

can anyone post a picture or two of their early non fused wiring in the front chest (points/alternator area)

thank you in advance
brant

Attachments

• IMG_8226.jpg
    IMG_8226.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 51
Anton has a picture of several versions of the OEM board:

http://largiader.com/articles/charging/

It does appear per his pictures that you have the /6 style board with an open "Y" or center tap. He indicates that in this configuration, without using the center tap being utilized in your case, it's the same output as the earlier /5 board. This additional tap was for higher output...I'm not sure if having the tap means there's more power there to be had or it "might" be there if you were to upgrade the alternator.

Snowbum also mentions it on this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/trbleshootALT.htm

Search the page for "wye" which is the Y connector. He does mention that in order to get the additional alternator output, you would /6 type equipment (stator, rotor, etc.).

Anton has a picture of several versions of the OEM board:

http://largiader.com/articles/charging/

It does appear per his pictures that you have the /6 style board with an open "Y" or center tap. He indicates that in this configuration, without using the center tap being utilized in your case, it's the same output as the earlier /5 board. This additional tap was for higher output...I'm not sure if having the tap means there's more power there to be had or it "might" be there if you were to upgrade the alternator.

Snowbum also mentions it on this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/trbleshootALT.htm

Search the page for "wye" which is the Y connector. He does mention that in order to get the additional alternator output, you would /6 type equipment (stator, rotor, etc.).

thank you again Kurt
I'll read both of the links...

"Wye" connector... learned something new today

so possibly a previous owner replaced the dio board with a newer 74 style board
but sounds like the early alternator without the additional connection... is going to be low output unless changed... no matter which board
thats fine... Its stock wiring anyways...
I'll run with low output

now, I just need to do more research about the wiring routing.. or find a picture
but thank you for helping me learn... and I will leave that post empty on the dio-board since I have the early alternator

brant

Back