• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hotel / Motel Gillette, WY

REBGEN

Thanks to the excellent information posted in this thread I think I have my route to Great Falls from Iowa planned. I’m looking for some recommendations for a decent hotel / motel in Gillette, WY. Would like to stay under $100 and just need a clean / secure place for the night.

I’m really excited to make the trip as my last long trip was almost eight years ago to the Colorado Rockies. I think I’ve included some nice roads and sights in the way. If anyone has additional road suggestions I’m always interested to learn.

Des Moines, IA to Alliance,NE via Hwy 2
Alliance,NE to Gillette,WY. ( Plan to loop through Black Hills/Needles hwy/Custer )
Gillette,WY to Greybull,WY. ( Taking Hwy 16 through Ten Sleep. Also going to ride Hwy 14 east through Shell Canyon )
Greybull,WY to Red Lodge,MT. ( Bucket list today with route through Chief Joseph and Beartooth Pass...weather permitting)
Red Lodge, MT to Great Falls (Taking Hwy 89 though Livingston and White Sulphur Springs.

Thanks again for the help!

Mark

Thanks big John and Paul -

I had previously searched Gillette for hotels and saw several on the West side. Just wanted to avoid anything in a crappy neighborhood if possible. Thanks.

BigJohn.... thanks for Spearfish rec.....might use it in way back home. Also......I enjoy your Relive trip reports. Good stuff and provides some good ideas for future trips.

Mark

I had previously searched Gillette for hotels and saw several on the West side. Just wanted to avoid anything in a crappy neighborhood if possible. Thanks.
Mark

I use Google Maps street view and the satellite view to check out the "neighborhood" when picking motels. I look at the motel and then at the area surrounding it to see if it looks like a good neighborhood. Not foolproof but a very good start.

Not exactly recent but I stayed at the Best Western in Gillette on my way home from Alaska in 2018. It was newly remodeled and I think I paid around 75 bucks. As I recall the area was safe.

Paul - great tip on google street view! Will scope out a few that I'm considering. Thanks!

Mirider - thanks for the suggestion....will check it out.

* My preference would be to just ride distances that make sense each day and find a place on the fly. I've read about other experienced tourers that caution against making a rigid itinerary with advance reservations and risking riding too long due to weather, fatigue, etc. With the reopening pressure on hotels I am concerned about not finding any room at the "inn" at the end of the day...especially out West. I found a KOA camping cabin in Greybull and staying at the Alpine in Red Lodge. Other than my first day sprint across Iowa / Nebraska, I'm keeping my days shorter to 300-350 miles. I have so many other roads I want to ride like Lolo Pass, etc but will just have to wait for another summer.

Love being retired!

Mark

We have a lot of newer motels here in Gillette. All are safe and some decent restaurants. Not sure about the under $100 range in the summer. I never not stayed in one. Some have nice indoor pools that the Grandkids have had BP at. The Ramada has a nice pool and a very good Hibachi grill all in the building. Also at the Holiday Express, is walking distance to Applebee’s. We get lots of tourists were we are.

Gillette Motel

This is not helpful now but in the early 80’s in Gillette I stumbled on the holy grail of motels. It was clean, comfy, cheap and it had the best damn shower I think I have ever been in lots of hot water, great pressure and lots of flow. It was 30 or 40 years old than so probably no long around 40 years later. ;)

Motels and Hotels

For the past few years, I have figured out where to stay each morning. By then, I usually have a good idea of the weather, how I am feeling, and about how far I plan to go that day. With travel apps, this has become an easy thing to do.

One of my favorite places to stay is Spearfish Canyon Lodge. Not under $100 but a great location and I believe the only place IN the canyon. They have a restaurant across the street. Will be there on my way to Great Falls for one night !

https://spfcanyon.com

Thanks Scout6 and gsinnc -

I mentioned to Bigjohn earlier I might stay in Spearfish on the way back home from the rally. SFC Lodge has been mentioned a few times so that looks like the place I'll stay if it works out. Thanks for the rec!

Mark

Back