• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Replacement @ Great Falls Rally?

jgoertz

Who has had tires replaced @ the Rally? By my calculations, I may need to replace my tires @ when I get to Great Falls. Is it first come/first served? By appointment? Or.....?

Can't find the answer on the Rally website.

Usually the No Mar folks sell tires. I don't know but suspect they (and others maybe) will be there. I would describe their approach as "by appointment, first come first served." That is they book appointments as folks ask for them. I would not generally describe it as ride-in service but by appointment. Their schedule usually fill up fairly quickly.

I agree about signing up early. At the 2019 rally, I realized on Thursday evening that my front tire had worn faster than anticipated. I hit the big tire vendor, whose name escapes me at the moment, just after he had closed up for the evening but he checked and they had my tire in stock. He said to show up before they opened at 8 AM to make sure that I got on the list. I did as he suggested and on Friday morning was the third person in line. I bought the tire and mounting, got my bike in line, and it was about 10 o'clock SATURDAY that it was ready and I got my bike back. I'm glad that Friday held some interesting seminars and programs at the rally.
These guys were working constantly. I think they had about six lifts going and every time I walked by they were all full. So if you need a tire GET THERE EARLY! I know some of the folks who wanted tires on Saturday were turned away.

I am changing my tires BEFORE I leave this time.

Dave

Last edited:
Usually the No Mar folks sell tires. I don't know but suspect they (and others maybe) will be there. I would describe their approach as "by appointment, first come first served." That is they book appointments as folks ask for them. I would not generally describe it as ride-in service but by appointment. Their schedule usually fill up fairly quickly.

Any way to sign up before the rally? If not, how early you get in that first day?

Thanks for the tips received so far! I usually change tires just before my "big trip" of the year, but the TN rally was only a couple 100 miles (new tires just before), and then last year hit and I only did a couple 1000 miles in 2020. I figure I have at least 1/2 the mileage still available on my PR4GT's. It's about 1800-2000 miles to GF, depending on my final route planning. All points I need to consider.

Any way to sign up before the rally? If not, how early you get in that first day?

Thanks for the tips received so far! I usually change tires just before my "big trip" of the year, but the TN rally was only a couple 100 miles (new tires just before), and then last year hit and I only did a couple 1000 miles in 2020. I figure I have at least 1/2 the mileage still available on my PR4GT's. It's about 1800-2000 miles to GF, depending on my final route planning. All points I need to consider.

Once the identity of tire vendors and other scheduled vendors is published you will probably be able to contact them; make sure they bring the tires you want; and schedule a day and time.

I typically make sure I have enough tire tread to make the whole trip, even if it means scrapping a half used tire. I have other things i want to do on vacation and that doesn't include waiting on my motorcycle to get serviced. The hassle of dealing with it is not worth the price of a half worn tire. I have had guys argue that it is a $200 tire, nope, it isn't, it is a half worn out $200 tire, maybe worth $100 at best, not worth the hassle. I might remount it and finish it off at a later date.

I had tires changed at the rally in 2019. Got checked in before 8am on Friday. Got my bike back after 8pm that night. NoMar wasn’t slacking ,they were just swamped. Don’t expect any deals either.

Hey Boogerman,

We must have been standing in line together! I guess that you must have been one of the two guys in front of me.

I'm going in on fresh tires this year.

Dave

Hey Boogerman,

We must have been standing in line together! I guess that you must have been one of the two guys in front of me.

I'm going in on fresh tires this year.

Dave

I was literally the last bike they worked on that day. When I last visited NoMar ( they are about 1 hr away) he said they didn’t know if they were going to Great Falls this year due to the expense to do the show . Maybe I will call them next week and check on it. Anyway I really don’t want to do the tire deal at the rally . It’s a PITA

Last edited:
I typically make sure I have enough tire tread to make the whole trip, even if it means scrapping a half used tire. I have other things i want to do on vacation and that doesn't include waiting on my motorcycle to get serviced. The hassle of dealing with it is not worth the price of a half worn tire. I have had guys argue that it is a $200 tire, nope, it isn't, it is a half worn out $200 tire, maybe worth $100 at best, not worth the hassle. I might remount it and finish it off at a later date.

Same here and my rear tire, besides being half worn, also has a rope plug in it. I will keep both "old" tires and repair the puncture on the rear from the inside. That old rear tire would never make the round trip to Montana from New York, and I may go on to the west coast while I am out and about.

Harry

Tires Purchase & Install at Great Falls...

I located this thread, that had slipped mostly out of sight onto page 2 of the Rally Forum.
And its important as the National is just is a couple weeks out.

Get this, on BMW Public Group Facebook, a recent question on tires at the rally has folks telling the fellow incorrect information.
This has considerable SAFETY concerns if you show up on threads or low tread life... and cannot get new tires in Great Falls.
If anyone has full capability on PUBLIC Group Facebook (I don't) PLEASE enter a post providing better information.
Also, a entry on OUR Club managed MOA Facebook page would be appropriate.

Think about it, previous National Rally's folks put new tires on... at about the same rate as beer is drawn at the beer garden!
If you've got to ride away from ExpoPark on poor rubber, your also going pretty far to find the next provider... especially if on Sunday/Monday.

...Below is an entry from the 2021 Great Falls Rally Thread.

I don't know anything about the issues, but their appears to be a development regarding vendors providing tire purchase & install.

As learned from watching MOA Great Falls promo videos, it was stated that Michelin had worked out an agreement with Sports City Cycles
(a multi-brand dealer in town) for the Michelin customers who purchase tires at the Rally, for their install.

In the video (5/10/21 Saddle Up & Ride with Rally Chairs)... it indicates they are taking reservations now.

And tells me, it won't be business as usual.

I’m curious as to the actual savings anticipated by having a tire changed at the rally? Is it worth the risk of running a “thin” tire on the way out?
OM

I’m curious as to the actual savings anticipated by having a tire changed at the rally? Is it worth the risk of running a “thin” tire on the way out?
OM

It's not just the folks "on the way out".

What I've found true, it's the riders who have been on the road awhile before arriving at a rally.
Especially those rally's out west and back in the July rally days.
I've personally shown up with just over 10,000 miles on tire's (Salt Lake City).
They were brand new when I rode from home, so that place was my "shop".
It would have been very inconvenient to detour for a dealership the immediate week or ten days ahead of arrival there.
Same this year for riders that departed recently, from Florida for example... leave on very good/newer tires
and arrive Great Falls 25 days later needing replacement.
Plus, there's usually a fantastic selection at a reasonable price... many times with a nice gift included. (that Michelin analog tire gauge is nicccce!)

It appears there will be a good Michelin selection this year; you just need make arraignments ahead of time.
Hopefully we will hear from someone who has coordinated this.

From the FAQ's of the Saddle Up & Ride Rally Information

CAN I BUY NEW TIRES AT THE RALLY?
If you need tires during the rally, contact Sports City Cyclery. They are extending their regular hours from 24-26 June (Thursday through Saturday) and will be open for tire installations and minor repairs from 8 AM until 5 PM each day. Please remember SCC is a Honda/Kawasaki shop, not a BMW dealer, so they will not have OEM parts in stock. If you know you're going to need a specific service while you're at the Rally, you should endeavor to bring the parts needed with you.

SCC asks that anybody needing tires or service assistance contact them as soon as possible to set up an appointment. Call or use the email address service@sportscitycyclery.com.

Sports City Cyclery
101 57th St S
Great Falls MT 59405
(406) 727-8566

I would be wary of getting tires on the road. If you have too, that is a different story, but if you can run the trip on one tire I would recommend changing it before you leave. The reason I say this is a good friend runs a shop and also has an online store. He told me yesterday that tires are getting hard to get. Not that this specific size matters here, but the 180/55B18 that is on the rear of all the 2021 Harley touring frames is about impossible to get right now. None of the wholesalers he deals with have any available in any brand. He also stated there are shortages in other sizes, but didn't go into specifics.

I know I will need tires for my RT this summer and ordered them a couple months ago. They are in my shop, ready to go on.

CAN I BUY NEW TIRES AT THE RALLY?
If you need tires during the rally, contact Sports City Cyclery. They are extending their regular hours from 24-26 June (Thursday through Saturday) and will be open for tire installations and minor repairs from 8 AM until 5 PM each day. Please remember SCC is a Honda/Kawasaki shop, not a BMW dealer, so they will not have OEM parts in stock. If you know you're going to need a specific service while you're at the Rally, you should endeavor to bring the parts needed with you.

SCC asks that anybody needing tires or service assistance contact them as soon as possible to set up an appointment. Call or use the email address service@sportscitycyclery.com.

Sports City Cyclery
101 57th St S
Great Falls MT 59405
(406) 727-8566

FWIW - talked to Sports City Cyclery today. They are planning to order up the tires and parts for the MOPA folks early next week. Appointments will be set up next week as well.

I just received a Ted Moyer email stating that

"Dunlop Tires Will be On-Site for Tire Changes!
News just broke last week that Dunlop is in fact attending the Saddle Up & Ride National Rally. Dunlop will be bringing a full crew and inventory to service BMW MOA members and change tires on-site! Dunlop will be in the outdoor vendor area in front of the Pacific Steel and Recycling Building if you need new rubber for your bike."

A Thank You to Dunlop Tires...

I couldn't hardly believe the fantastic Rally prices! The quality of service you provided is unprecedented.

Even on SUNDAY morning your crew were completing scheduled appointments!

Thank You for supporting our attendance in Great Falls.

Back