• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ca DMV skills test

Sounds like a strange test if that's all there is to it. It's relevant - a lot of riders can't maintain a tight turn when they need to, and run wide - but so is braking and so forth.

Next time an R11S comes through here, I'll try to take it to a parking lot with some chalk and see what I can do.

Parking lots are great for practice. Spaces are typically 9x18, so it's easy to set up some courses without bringing cones or anything.

park.gif

Sounds like a strange test if that's all there is to it. It's relevant - a lot of riders can't maintain a tight turn when they need to, and run wide - but so is braking and so forth.

Next time an R11S comes through here, I'll try to take it to a parking lot with some chalk and see what I can do.

Parking lots are great for practice. Spaces are typically 9x18, so it's easy to set up some courses without bringing cones or anything.

park.gif

We did a lot of practice like that prior to going to South Africa and later to New Zealand, where they ride on the wrong (left) side of the road rather than the right side of the road. I was pretty good doing right to left U turns as in the US, but lousy making the same turn from left to right. It took a lot of practice to feel confident.

finish to my saga

Just an update if anyone cares. I was in search mode and saw my old thread so thought I would update. I signed up for the nearest (2hrs plus each way) class but hoped to get a refund if I passed the Ca DMV test 1st. Did the cone slalom but could not do the 20/21 ft circle repeat each way with the R1100S. The DMV test admin lady told me after I failed that she and her husband both took the course at XYZ college. I told her yeah I am already signed for the course. I enjoyed the course with enthusiastic young instructors and was told upon completion by one, that I was one of the best riders both days. ( should be with thousands of miles logged over many years). My old riding buddy from days when we rode from SF Bay to Banff Canada who could always beat m on my 75/6 with his 60/5 is now restoring a family members R90 and figures he can beat Ca DMV test by using a friends Vespa. He said he is having a little difficulty with one direction of the circle. I feel Ca DMV is just trying to force people into taking a course which is OK if there were more of them. Anyway I have my new M1 endorsement which is my 2nd as I don't know how the 1st fell off my DL, (probably too cheap to pay to maintain it when I did not own a bike). I have put a couple thousand miles on the R1100S thus far and the only time I have dropped it was practicing for the stupid DMV lollipop and dragging too much rear brake while slipping the clutch in a lot. LOL. Too restrictive a government standard IMO

Using an S or RS - or anything with limited steering lock, low bars and a long wheelbase - is starting with a handicap. Back in the mid-2000s we were at Daytona for bike week and BMW had a skills course set up in a parking lot with some FHP officers that worked their east coast events. I was watching and trying a skill like you describe and struggled with it (and I was no stranger to this stuff). I asked this one officer, who was a pretentious a-hole that I had seen at other events, for some guidance and maybe he could show me on my R11RS what I was getting wrong. He took my bike and proceeded to blow through the cones twice, got it right the third time and then gave the bike back, saying. "See, the bike can do it. It's all you." Umm, thanks dickwad. Super helpful.

So yes the bike will do it but if you need to get everything exactly right to pass the test, with no warmup or practice runs, then just use a smaller bike and make your life easier.

Ca was requiring the circle jerk long before there were schools that would exempt you from having to take the skills test.
Sour grapes is not attractive on a BMW owner.

Back