Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ca DMV skills test

I thought if you completed the CA MTC course (15 hours), that qualified as part of the DMV riding test and all you had to do was pass the written? (I checked, it does, the class is given by CHP, info on their website).
    No Matter Where I went, There I was...

Quote Originally Posted by r184 View Post
    I thought if you completed the CA MTC course (15 hours), that qualified as part of the DMV riding test and all you had to do was pass the written? (I checked, it does, the class is given by CHP, info on their website).
    This seems like a good option to me...

SPP

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    CHiPs

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Smile yeah if

Quote Originally Posted by r184 View Post
    I live a long way from any class but will bite the bullet if I fail the skills test once or twice. Getting up at 4 am to drive there 2 or 3 days in a row may end up being my only option. In the mean time I am getting some parking lot practice which is always good. Have not dropped the bike this time around

Quote Originally Posted by mntngrown View Post
    I live a long way from any class but will bite the bullet if I fail the skills test once or twice. Getting up at 4 am to drive there 2 or 3 days in a row may end up being my only option.
    I think that might be one reason they have motels.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Thanks but thirty years in my career means no motels

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I think that might be one reason they have motels.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdbRx-Oz9mg
    Take a black light or UV light to your next motel visit and don't reach where you can't see as the hypes stash their rigs everywhere and now we have covid too.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Take a black light or UV light to your next motel visit and don't reach where you can't see as the hypes stash their rigs everywhere and now we have covid too.
    Sooooo much better when the sheets only have an aerosol product on them

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    And real world u turns on crowned roads is another skill to work on.

Dang road falls off fast
    Beware trying it uphill as well. I was planning a "Dirt Nap" photo, just ended up getting it sooner than and not quite as planned...

Dirt Namp.jpg

I live a long way from any class but will bite the bullet if I fail the skills test once or twice. Getting up at 4 am to drive there 2 or 3 days in a row may end up being my only option. In the mean time I am getting some parking lot practice which is always good. Have not dropped the bike this time around
    CA specific -
    If you've been riding for a few years, are just finally deciding to get your license, and you can do the lollipop with weave there is a 1-day course at many of the locations that offer training. They skip the basic clutch-control and start-stop type drills and take you into a few more applicable exercises. Passing still allows you to get your license without a test at the DMV.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by r0ckrat View Post
    CA specific -
    If you've been riding for a few years, are just finally deciding to get your license, and you can do the lollipop with weave there is a 1-day course at many of the locations that offer training. They skip the basic clutch-control and start-stop type drills and take you into a few more applicable exercises. Passing still allows you to get your license without a test at the DMV.
    Thanks, I will continue to look into that. The one I contacted in Sacto said their 1 day will not waive the skills test.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    All those years of hot bunking on small warships. I’m doomed!
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet

http://travelswithbarley.com/

Signature

So my original post asked

My 1st post asked If anyone with an R1100S aced the Ca DMV skills test?. The guy I bought mine from said I should borrow a small displacement enduro etc. This R1100S does not , with my skill sets , want to do the DMV dog and pony show. After my post many people offered many suggestions but no one said yes I passed it on an R1100S no problem you incompetent bastage!. I practiced and practiced and when I swing by the DMV and just try to ride down the entry lines and do the circle I cannot with friction zone and counter weighting stay in that circle. I will take a class although having logged probably 50k miles on MC's I am beginning to feel that this test is not relevant to safe motor riding.

My 1st post asked If anyone with an R1100S aced the Ca DMV skills test?. The guy I bought mine from said I should borrow a small displacement enduro etc. This R1100S does not , with my skill sets , want to do the DMV dog and pony show. After my post many people offered many suggestions but no one said yes I passed it on an R1100S no problem you incompetent bastage!. I practiced and practiced and when I swing by the DMV and just try to ride down the entry lines and do the circle I cannot with friction zone and counter weighting stay in that circle. I will take a class although having logged probably 50k miles on MC's I am beginning to feel that this test is not relevant to safe motor riding.
    I am curious. Does anybody know how riders of truly big big bikes, HD baggers, Goldwing, R18 etc. get licenses in California?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I had heard from an HD rider that dragging the rear brake helps keep with the circle. True or not, IDK.