• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ca DMV skills test

Riding a twenty foot diameter circle is pretty easy on an RT. A full circle is not "real world", but I do a U-turn on a two lane road fairly often. Or do a U through an empty parking spot to be headed out after parking in the adjoining space. My limit is currently a 16 foot diameter, and I'm not on the steering stops yet.

Hmmm - I may need to bust out the measuring tape and see what I can do... then compare that vs the GS.

By the way, I used to live at the top of E. Canyon. I did not have a motor then.

Cool. I still ride bicycles up and down that road and just last Sunday the 22 yo son and I did a motorcycle ride with sena comms as he practiced on the f650.

It's wonderful you got to live up there. The road now though is even more of a wreck than ever. Keeps you on your toes regardless of motorized or not.

One of the key skills needed in riding slow and tight is being able to work the clutch properly. Learn its friction zone and get control of using the clutch at low speed manuvering.

One of the key skills needed in riding slow and tight is being able to work the clutch properly. Learn its friction zone and get control of using the clutch at low speed manuvering.

Which on dry clutch bikes requires a different style than a slip away all you want wet clutch.

We did a TX course with figure eights in a tight box... I was on a 1150R and another guy on a Duc Monster... he smelled up the place and the Goldwing riding instructor asked me to make it look a bit harder for the new riders and the Duc to do his best : laugh
We all passed

And real world u turns on crowned roads is another skill to work on.

Dang road falls off fast :eek

Turn your head that way and the bike will follow and get’er done :thumb
Went on local grassy field on beater bicycle falling a few times until got that repetition dialed in and transferred to motorcycles way back. Doesn’t guarantee I’ll never fall but the mechanics are the same and didn’t break my motorcycle.

I thought if you completed the CA MTC course (15 hours), that qualified as part of the DMV riding test and all you had to do was pass the written? (I checked, it does, the class is given by CHP, info on their website).

I thought if you completed the CA MTC course (15 hours), that qualified as part of the DMV riding test and all you had to do was pass the written? (I checked, it does, the class is given by CHP, info on their website).

This seems like a good option to me...

SPP

yeah if

I live a long way from any class but will bite the bullet if I fail the skills test once or twice. Getting up at 4 am to drive there 2 or 3 days in a row may end up being my only option. In the mean time I am getting some parking lot practice which is always good. Have not dropped the bike this time around

I live a long way from any class but will bite the bullet if I fail the skills test once or twice. Getting up at 4 am to drive there 2 or 3 days in a row may end up being my only option.

I think that might be one reason they have motels.

And real world u turns on crowned roads is another skill to work on.

Dang road falls off fast :eek

Beware trying it uphill as well. I was planning a "Dirt Nap" photo, just ended up getting it sooner than and not quite as planned...

Dirt Namp.jpg

I live a long way from any class but will bite the bullet if I fail the skills test once or twice. Getting up at 4 am to drive there 2 or 3 days in a row may end up being my only option. In the mean time I am getting some parking lot practice which is always good. Have not dropped the bike this time around

CA specific -
If you've been riding for a few years, are just finally deciding to get your license, and you can do the lollipop with weave there is a 1-day course at many of the locations that offer training. They skip the basic clutch-control and start-stop type drills and take you into a few more applicable exercises. Passing still allows you to get your license without a test at the DMV.

Thanks

CA specific -
If you've been riding for a few years, are just finally deciding to get your license, and you can do the lollipop with weave there is a 1-day course at many of the locations that offer training. They skip the basic clutch-control and start-stop type drills and take you into a few more applicable exercises. Passing still allows you to get your license without a test at the DMV.
Thanks, I will continue to look into that. The one I contacted in Sacto said their 1 day will not waive the skills test.

Back