Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ca DMV skills test

There are videos on you tube that might help Jerry Pallidino's Ride like a pro series are good . When maneuvering slowly to apply slight pressure to the back brake ,keep your clutch in the "friction zone " (slip the clutch), etc . He also states that you can try this with a bicycle (pressure on the back brake ) while moving slowly to test it out .

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by 56982 View Post
    There are videos on you tube that might help Jerry Pallidino's Ride like a pro series are good . When maneuvering slowly to apply slight pressure to the back brake ,keep your clutch in the "friction zone " (slip the clutch), etc . He also states that you can try this with a bicycle (pressure on the back brake ) while moving slowly to test it out .
    I have watched a lot of his videos and Moto jitsu and paying it forward and Dan the fireman etc. Since I am on an R1100S and have a 36" inseam I can't put counter balance pressure on the right foot peg(half cheek off) while turning left and still apply rear brake. I am just focusing on friction zone and did pretty well today. I will post if I pass or fail and thanks to all!

Riding a twenty foot diameter circle is pretty easy on an RT. A full circle is not "real world", but I do a U-turn on a two lane road fairly often. Or do a U through an empty parking spot to be headed out after parking in the adjoining space. My limit is currently a 16 foot diameter, and I'm not on the steering stops yet.

I enjoy the tight turns. It's fun to just flip a quick U and then watch as my brother-in-law struggles do a three point turn, using his Gold Wings reverse and paddling to change direction.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JDpdfm5j7c

Sometimes helps to know whats possible. I dropped my 1100 twice trying to do the tight turn deal in my driveway.

This thread has me wanting to do an advanced skills class.
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by mntngrown View Post
    I have watched a lot of his videos and Moto jitsu and paying it forward and Dan the fireman etc. Since I am on an R1100S and have a 36" inseam I can't put counter balance pressure on the right foot peg(half cheek off) while turning left and still apply rear brake. I am just focusing on friction zone and did pretty well today. I will post if I pass or fail and thanks to all!
    good luck with the test!
    Signature

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    That is impressive.

SPP

Yes but

Quote Originally Posted by slowpokepete View Post
    That is impressive.

SPP
    Wasn't he putting his foot down each time? They would flunk him at the CA DMV

Thanks Chris

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    good luck with the test!
    By the way, I used to live at the top of E. Canyon. I did not have a motor then.

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    Riding a twenty foot diameter circle is pretty easy on an RT. A full circle is not "real world", but I do a U-turn on a two lane road fairly often. Or do a U through an empty parking spot to be headed out after parking in the adjoining space. My limit is currently a 16 foot diameter, and I'm not on the steering stops yet.
    Hmmm - I may need to bust out the measuring tape and see what I can do... then compare that vs the GS.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by mntngrown View Post
    By the way, I used to live at the top of E. Canyon. I did not have a motor then.
    Cool. I still ride bicycles up and down that road and just last Sunday the 22 yo son and I did a motorcycle ride with sena comms as he practiced on the f650.

It's wonderful you got to live up there. The road now though is even more of a wreck than ever. Keeps you on your toes regardless of motorized or not.
    Signature

One of the key skills needed in riding slow and tight is being able to work the clutch properly. Learn its friction zone and get control of using the clutch at low speed manuvering.
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

The best way to get there is to start..........riding.

Quote Originally Posted by WWeldin View Post
    One of the key skills needed in riding slow and tight is being able to work the clutch properly. Learn its friction zone and get control of using the clutch at low speed manuvering.
    Which on dry clutch bikes requires a different style than a slip away all you want wet clutch.

We did a TX course with figure eights in a tight box... I was on a 1150R and another guy on a Duc Monster... he smelled up the place and the Goldwing riding instructor asked me to make it look a bit harder for the new riders and the Duc to do his best : laugh
    We all passed

And real world u turns on crowned roads is another skill to work on.

Dang road falls off fast

Turn your head that way and the bike will follow and get’er done
    Went on local grassy field on beater bicycle falling a few times until got that repetition dialed in and transferred to motorcycles way back. Doesn’t guarantee I’ll never fall but the mechanics are the same and didn’t break my motorcycle.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Turn your head that way and the bike will follow....
    Amazing how that works, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Until you don’t follow through
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Took me a long to time to "habitually" switch from looking at the brick in the road so to speak to looking at the road I wanted to travel on one side or another.
    Signature