Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Ca DMV skills test

Sounds like a strange test if that's all there is to it. It's relevant - a lot of riders can't maintain a tight turn when they need to, and run wide - but so is braking and so forth.

Next time an R11S comes through here, I'll try to take it to a parking lot with some chalk and see what I can do.

Parking lots are great for practice. Spaces are typically 9x18, so it's easy to set up some courses without bringing cones or anything.

Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Sounds like a strange test if that's all there is to it. It's relevant - a lot of riders can't maintain a tight turn when they need to, and run wide - but so is braking and so forth.

Next time an R11S comes through here, I'll try to take it to a parking lot with some chalk and see what I can do.

Parking lots are great for practice. Spaces are typically 9x18, so it's easy to set up some courses without bringing cones or anything.

We did a lot of practice like that prior to going to South Africa and later to New Zealand, where they ride on the wrong (left) side of the road rather than the right side of the road. I was pretty good doing right to left U turns as in the US, but lousy making the same turn from left to right. It took a lot of practice to feel confident.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/