Thread: Nikasil & Galnikal

Nikasil & Galnikal

Been doing some reading and I was wondering if our boxer engines have these coatings or if the blocks are sleeved. I know these bikes are too new for people to be needing to do engine work but I was hoping someone may know anyways as I enjoy learning about this kind of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sep686 View Post
    Been doing some reading and I was wondering if our boxer engines have these coatings or if the blocks are sleeved. I know these bikes are too new for people to be needing to do engine work but I was hoping someone may know anyways as I enjoy learning about this kind of stuff
    BMW hasn't used steel sleeves since sometime in the 1980s. I know the original coating used in the Airhead engines was referred to as Nikasil. How that differs, if at all, from what they have used on the later models I have no clue.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Paul has the info right. Snowbum has more details here:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/cylinders.htm

Began using these coatings for the 1981 models. As Snowbum says, the two products were trademarked by different companies but are essentially the same sort of product in terms of function.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    Paul has the info right. Snowbum has more details here:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/cylinders.htm

Began using these coatings for the 1981 models. As Snowbum says, the two products were trademarked by different companies but are essentially the same sort of product in terms of function.
    I did read through that earlier and found it very informative. Just wasnít sure if BMW switched away from it. Seems like they had issues with it in their v8s in their cars so I thought maybe Nikasil was a thing of the past at this point

Quote Originally Posted by sep686 View Post
    I did read through that earlier and found it very informative. Just wasnít sure if BMW switched away from it. Seems like they had issues with it in their v8s in their cars so I thought maybe Nikasil was a thing of the past at this point
    Nikasil apparently can impose some quality control issues. If I recall the model correctly they had some issues with early cylinder damage on some early R1200 engines. In any case, there was a model and year where application quality issues caused what was described as portions of the cylinder wall flaking off. But in total taking all the years and models where it has been used the failure rate is miniscule.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/