Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 74 R90/6 Project

I'm doing something similar with my new barn-find R100RS. I can't wait to start getting stuff back from the various craftsmen so I can start re-assembly. I'll be watching this thread with considerable interest!
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6
    '80 R100RS restoration project

still at it

Here you can see some of the progress I've made on the R90/6. Pretty close to completing the wiring and checking for spark. I am installing the Dyna unit tomorrow. The new after-market (cheap)exhaust pipes needed quite a bit of persuasion.

R90.jpg

BMWs are built to a very exact standard, some of the aftermarket stuff not so much. Really enjoying your progress. Im clearing out an area in my garage for a 75 R90/6. Probably pick it up Monday. I owned it for a short time 20 years ago. Airheads are a real passion.

Finally, a rolling chassis

good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    BMW’s are built to a very exact standard, some of the aftermarket stuff not so much. Really enjoying your progress. I’m clearing out an area in my garage for a ‘75 R90/6. Probably pick it up Monday. I owned it for a short time 20 years ago. Airheads are a real passion.
    How exciting that you're getting your old bike back!
    Last edited by edzr60; 06-23-2021 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling

She's looking mighty sweet! I might get some wiring tips from you when mine gets that far. Did you replace the harnesses?
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

It is so encouraging to see you, and others, restore these machines. I cannot wait to see the final product.
    1972 R75/5
    1993 R100R

R90/6

Quote Originally Posted by ezwicky View Post
    She's looking mighty sweet! I might get some wiring tips from you when mine gets that far. Did you replace the harnesses?
    the harness is in pretty good shape, so I will re-use it and repair the damaged sections. I will be sure to provide images of the wiring.

harness

Quote Originally Posted by edzr60 View Post
    the harness is in pretty good shape, so I will re-use it and repair the damaged sections. I will be sure to provide images of the wiring.

Here is the entire wiring harness laid out. If you don't have to remove the wires from the headlight shell, It's a lot easier. Pretty much plug and play, but I labeled them anyway.

wire.jpg

Good deal on the harness. On my 74 R90 project, Ive gotta complete new wiring harness. The bike was modified with a Windjammer then converted back to kind of original. So a lot of wire chopping was extensive. So the new harness to to keep it simple for me.

Quote Originally Posted by barryg View Post
    Good deal on the harness. On my 74 R90 project, Ive gotta complete new wiring harness. The bike was modified with a Windjammer then converted back to kind of original. So a lot of wire chopping was extensive. So the new harness to to keep it simple for me.
    Where did you go for your replacement harness(es)? I am probably going with Euro Moto Electric but I wanted to see what else is out there.
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

Eme

I just finished replacing ALL the wiring on my 84 RT, I got the replacement harnesses from EME. They are a great company to deal with, and boy did it make things a lot easier. While I didn't have the chopped up previous owner wiring, I had major corrosion and age problems.

It is so nice to work with wiring in a properly made harness that exactly matches BMW wiring diagrams. Oh yes, do yourself a favor and purchase the excellent large laminated color diagrams EME sells for your bike, they are well worth it not only for rewiring but in the long run for any trouble shooting.

The down side of the new harnesses is they don't come with an easy to way to deal with the jumping snakes mess inside the headlight shell, LOL. Big hands like mine with poor vision like mine, made it a challenge to work in the small space with so many wires.

The project is looking very nice indeed. It is going to be a lot of fun to ride. St.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    I just finished replacing ALL the wiring on my 84 RT, I got the replacement harnesses from EME. They are a great company to deal with, and boy did it make things a lot easier. While I didn't have the chopped up previous owner wiring, I had major corrosion and age problems.
    Good to know. Brook Reams also replaced his harnesses with EME. I agree with the kudos also for customer support. Since Norm took over, I am a loyal customer because of their level of service.

I have the age issue as well as the previous owners' various chop work to contend with. It will be nice to have stock wiring and no extra farkles.
    BMWMOA #182796

'76 R90/6

Helping

Yes, I have started to call it previous owner disease, I am helping a new to airhead fellow out now with a 76 R75/6, A nice bike and thankfully in fairly good shape but inflicted with previous owner disease. LOL, I made my rant the other day on the forum regarding this terrible disease. So far, no one has commented as I think most of the people on this forum are not guilty of spreading the blight. St.

Wiring Harness 74 R90/6

6ECE978B-249F-4869-BC5F-ECEB5D5EFDDC.jpeg
    4F541432-56B8-4F9C-93F2-59B8FBC646D8.jpeg
    I purchased it at BMW of Chicago back in 2007. Back when they were in business, they had big discounts on parts. Found the bag not the invoice. Pretty pricy back then even with the discount.