Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 74 R90/6 Project

74 R90/6 Project

Here is a picture of my 1974 R90/6. At this time it is disassembled with the frame out for powdercoat and the tins at the painter. I have had 7 airheads over the last
    50 years but this my first R90/6. The rear rim is cracked and the instruments are rough, but the rest of it is in good shape with only 24,000 miles. Underneath the tank I found what appears to be practice strokes or mark of the pinstriper? I attached an image and if anyone knows about this mark, I would be very interested. Thanks for looking.Inkedsign_LI.jpgl.jpg

Nice project to start with! I don't believe we've had much discussion of pin striper markings. My /7 doesn't have anything and my R25/2 was repainted before I got it. However, my R69S has a mark on the underside of the tank near the tunnel which I believe is the pin striper's "signature". This is what mine looks like...appears to be the initial "R" and a paint dot.

GasTankClose.jpg
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

John D'oh

Signature mark by factory pin stripe artist

Years ago I started a thread with a collection of original marks I had found over the years. No one contributed other than a few random pictures of scratches. No serious reply’s. Was hoping to put together a “gallery” featuring original signature marks. By now original tanks have been repainted or simply gone. Yours is definitely a pin strippers mark in original paint. I have seen that mark several times since I became interested in airheads in the late 60’s. I’m not sure when the practice ended but I have a new 87 blue tank that doesn’t have a mark. It’s pin stripes look like appliqué.

74’s supposedly had heat treatment issues with the aluminum rims and cracks would form around the spoke holes. Replace with a 75 or 76 and you’ll be good to go.
    John D'oh

John -

Thanks for the reminder. I managed to find your earlier thread from 10 years ago. Unfortunately, some of the images are no longer there.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...as-an-art-form
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    John -

Thanks for the reminder. I managed to find your earlier thread from 10 years ago. Unfortunately, some of the images are no longer there.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...as-an-art-form
    Kept looking at those pics, some how it looked familiar. I now remember the pics from that earlier thread. Wow, 10 years ago. My memory is very fragmented. It’s funny what my memory does remember. Glad that little mystery has been answered.

When I built my dirt hack in ‘84, from old parts, I used an old tank that I did some body work on and painted. A good friend and BMW purist, offered to pinstripe it which he did beautifully. A true artist. When he finished, I asked him to sign it as the factory pinstripers did, which he did. A short time later, Brian passed away, a young man, from a brain tumor. I’ll always have his signed tank. Maybe if we plan to have something pinstriped in the future, we should take up the old tradition of the under the tank signature?
    Gary Phillips - #6322
    Wildland Firefighter, Retired, Riggins, ID
    Heartland Moto Locos BMW Riders
    '77 R100/7 Dirt Hack, '83 R80ST, '85 K100RS w/EML, '93 K1100LT, '00 R1100RS

Proud

Those guys had a great thing signing their work, they should be proud of it. BMW pinstripes were beautiful, something for the artist to be proud of. Sadly, as mentioned, I never noticed a signature under my three bikes gas tanks. Two have been sadly repainted and if there was, they are gone. The other bike is gone out of my garage so I can't look.

I would imagine the factory uses robots to stripe now. Not the same a robot signing its work. St.

Nutfarm

75 r75/6

I have a 75 R75/6 that looks just about like your R90/6. I bought it new, I has the bigger fuel tank and still has its original seat. Mine has duel disc brakes from a R100. It does stop alittle better. It has 175,000 miles on it and still runs great.

R90/6

Quote Originally Posted by 47512 View Post
    I have a 75 R75/6 that looks just about like your R90/6. I bought it new, I has the bigger fuel tank and still has its original seat. Mine has duel disc brakes from a R100. It does stop alittle better. It has 175,000 miles on it and still runs great.

I'll be keeping this one for a long time too. They get to be like part of the family. I should be getting my powdercoat back soon so I will post some pictures. Thanks to everyone for the information on the pinstripers mark. I'd like to see more pictures of these!

Back at it

My paint and powdercoat are done and turned out real good. Assembly is the best part. Here is a picture of where I am at now. While the motor was out I detailed it the best I could.to forum1.jpg

some progress

I got the motor in place, replaced the steering stem and swingarm bearings, and began assembling the front end.

IMG_1056 (2).jpg

I still have my original R90/6 which I bought new in 1975. Now at about 50K miles, I recall seeing paint marks underneath the tanks but I never thought to take a picture of them. I'll try remember next time the tank comes off. they are not all repainted!

I just wish I could improve the engine-transmission alignment. I went thru a set of splines at ~25K miles and there is obvious "breathing" between the transmission and engine if the bolts are loosened while idling. Been using NevaSieze as a spline lube since.
    Retired w 2005 K1200LT, 2000 R1100RT, & 1975 R90/6

Duane Ausherman describes how to align the transmission on his website...maybe you've done that already? Basically, he says to loosen the four bolts holding the transmission in place...they should be finger tight. Then start the engine and run the RPMs up to maybe mid range a few times...pull the clutch in a few times. Then while still running, carefully get a wrench and snug up the bolts. That should provide for a good alignment of centers of the engine and transmission.

more assembly

I bought new spokes and rim for the rear. My balancing stand was not rigid enough to true the wheel so I did it on the bike. So that's what that removable panel in the lift is for! Assembling and truing a wheel has always scared me a little so I used to send it out. I'm retired and I have the time so why not try it? I was actually surprised at how easy it was. My rear shocks got new covers and powdercoated springs.

IMG_1062.jpg

I’m enjoying the thread. Good job.