• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

74 R90/6 Project

edzr60

Here is a picture of my 1974 R90/6. At this time it is disassembled with the frame out for powdercoat and the tins at the painter. I have had 7 airheads over the last
50 years but this my first R90/6. The rear rim is cracked and the instruments are rough, but the rest of it is in good shape with only 24,000 miles. Underneath the tank I found what appears to be practice strokes or mark of the pinstriper? I attached an image and if anyone knows about this mark, I would be very interested. Thanks for looking.Inkedsign_LI.jpgl.jpg

Nice project to start with! I don't believe we've had much discussion of pin striper markings. My /7 doesn't have anything and my R25/2 was repainted before I got it. However, my R69S has a mark on the underside of the tank near the tunnel which I believe is the pin striper's "signature". This is what mine looks like...appears to be the initial "R" and a paint dot.

GasTankClose.jpg

Signature mark by factory pin stripe artist

Years ago I started a thread with a collection of original marks I had found over the years. No one contributed other than a few random pictures of scratches. No serious reply’s. Was hoping to put together a “gallery” featuring original signature marks. By now original tanks have been repainted or simply gone. Yours is definitely a pin strippers mark in original paint. I have seen that mark several times since I became interested in airheads in the late 60’s. I’m not sure when the practice ended but I have a new 87 blue tank that doesn’t have a mark. It’s pin stripes look like appliqué.

74’s supposedly had heat treatment issues with the aluminum rims and cracks would form around the spoke holes. Replace with a 75 or 76 and you’ll be good to go.

When I built my dirt hack in ‘84, from old parts, I used an old tank that I did some body work on and painted. A good friend and BMW purist, offered to pinstripe it which he did beautifully. A true artist. When he finished, I asked him to sign it as the factory pinstripers did, which he did. A short time later, Brian passed away, a young man, from a brain tumor. I’ll always have his signed tank. Maybe if we plan to have something pinstriped in the future, we should take up the old tradition of the under the tank signature?

Proud

Those guys had a great thing signing their work, they should be proud of it. BMW pinstripes were beautiful, something for the artist to be proud of. Sadly, as mentioned, I never noticed a signature under my three bikes gas tanks. Two have been sadly repainted and if there was, they are gone. The other bike is gone out of my garage so I can't look.

I would imagine the factory uses robots to stripe now. Not the same a robot signing its work. St.

75 r75/6

I have a 75 R75/6 that looks just about like your R90/6. I bought it new, I has the bigger fuel tank and still has its original seat. Mine has duel disc brakes from a R100. It does stop alittle better. It has 175,000 miles on it and still runs great.

R90/6

I have a 75 R75/6 that looks just about like your R90/6. I bought it new, I has the bigger fuel tank and still has its original seat. Mine has duel disc brakes from a R100. It does stop alittle better. It has 175,000 miles on it and still runs great.

I'll be keeping this one for a long time too. They get to be like part of the family. I should be getting my powdercoat back soon so I will post some pictures. Thanks to everyone for the information on the pinstripers mark. I'd like to see more pictures of these!

Back at it

My paint and powdercoat are done and turned out real good. Assembly is the best part. Here is a picture of where I am at now. While the motor was out I detailed it the best I could.to forum1.jpg

some progress

I got the motor in place, replaced the steering stem and swingarm bearings, and began assembling the front end.

IMG_1056 (2).jpg

I still have my original R90/6 which I bought new in 1975. Now at about 50K miles, I recall seeing paint marks underneath the tanks but I never thought to take a picture of them. I'll try remember next time the tank comes off. they are not all repainted!

I just wish I could improve the engine-transmission alignment. I went thru a set of splines at ~25K miles and there is obvious "breathing" between the transmission and engine if the bolts are loosened while idling. Been using NevaSieze as a spline lube since.

Duane Ausherman describes how to align the transmission on his website...maybe you've done that already? Basically, he says to loosen the four bolts holding the transmission in place...they should be finger tight. Then start the engine and run the RPMs up to maybe mid range a few times...pull the clutch in a few times. Then while still running, carefully get a wrench and snug up the bolts. That should provide for a good alignment of centers of the engine and transmission.

more assembly

I bought new spokes and rim for the rear. My balancing stand was not rigid enough to true the wheel so I did it on the bike. So that's what that removable panel in the lift is for! Assembling and truing a wheel has always scared me a little so I used to send it out. I'm retired and I have the time so why not try it? I was actually surprised at how easy it was. My rear shocks got new covers and powdercoated springs.

IMG_1062.jpg

I'm doing something similar with my new barn-find R100RS. I can't wait to start getting stuff back from the various craftsmen so I can start re-assembly. I'll be watching this thread with considerable interest!

still at it

Here you can see some of the progress I've made on the R90/6. Pretty close to completing the wiring and checking for spark. I am installing the Dyna unit tomorrow. The new after-market (cheap)exhaust pipes needed quite a bit of persuasion.

R90.jpg

BMW’s are built to a very exact standard, some of the aftermarket stuff not so much. Really enjoying your progress. I’m clearing out an area in my garage for a ‘75 R90/6. Probably pick it up Monday. I owned it for a short time 20 years ago. Airheads are a real passion. :groovy

good to hear

BMW’s are built to a very exact standard, some of the aftermarket stuff not so much. Really enjoying your progress. I’m clearing out an area in my garage for a ‘75 R90/6. Probably pick it up Monday. I owned it for a short time 20 years ago. Airheads are a real passion. :groovy

How exciting that you're getting your old bike back!

Last edited:
Back