Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 74 R90/6 Project

My R90/6 reclamation and has been a slow process, too slow.

bars and tins

This is not a restoration, I'm building it for me so you will see some things that are not correct. This is HD Billiard Blue. I got the bars and controls installed. The Dyna ignition module looks like it will have enough clearance under the tank. I plugged in the electrics and everything works except the starter. It was determined that the solenoid is bad, so that's next on the list.

IMG_1087.jpg

Looking good! I'd suggest finding a cooler spot for the Dyna unit. The /6 doesn't have the frame crossbar up front, but it might fit on one of the down tubes. Or maybe fashion something to fit inside the battery covers. The unit needs some airflow.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Billiard Blue is kinda growing on me.

Bb

I kind of agree, the Blue is kind of nice. Your project is going very well and looks great. St.

'Like Button'

Especially for posts such as this, our forum desperately needs a Like Button. Most every other forum has this feature. Wonder what it would take to include it here?
    BMWMOA #24809

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhall View Post
    Especially for posts such as this, our forum desperately needs a Like Button. Most every other forum has this feature. Wonder what it would take to include it here?
    The has been working.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Krauser bags?

Thank you for the kind words. This build is going well and I should have her on the road within a couple weeks. I would like to use the older style Krauser bags that were commonly seen on this bike back in the day. Does anyone know if they will fasten to the mounts shown in the picture? Would I have to buy any hardware for the latches? Thanks to everyone on the forum!

IMG_1108.jpg

Bags

The German company Siebenrock and their American distributor Boxer two Valve are selling the Krauser Classic bags. The nice thing is they are using a much improved latching system now instead of the old style seat belt latch system. From what I have seen on either website, they look to have all you need to mount a set of bags on the racks you have installed.

Both companies return emails and are great to deal with. Perhaps if you sent an email with a picture attached of your racks, they would be able to check to see if they can fix you up. St.

shake-out run

Today was the first time I rode the R90 and I have more work to do. The clutch is stuck. Start it up, put it in gear with the clutch in and it stalls. This reminds me of my old Triumph where, before starting I had to pull in the clutch and kick it over until the clutch broke loose but I never had a problem like this with a BMW (or anything else with a dry clutch). I was able to roll down a hill and get it going hoping that riding it would free it up. Nope. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Thanks for the advice about relocating the DYNA and how to mount new bags on old mounts.

paris.jpg

Oak had a procedure for un-stooking a BMW clutch. Maybe someone here can link to it.....
    1973 R75/5

It happens to me when the bike sits for awhile. Get going in 1st gear (I put it in gear going down a hill). Pull in the clutch handle and hit the gas a few times until it breaks free.

Try

Not to be nasty or a jerk but recheck your work done. If you had the clutch out and apart, it should not be sticking at all. Even the best of us make mistakes at times. Unless you are working on bikes all the time, the event of a mistake goes up. I won't tell you the number of times I have done work on my bike or another and had to go back and redo something. St.