• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100RT front master cylinder-YIKES!

bp@sr9

During routine maintenance , flushing the brake lines, I noticed some oxidation on the cylinder. Removed the cover plate and YIKES, half a ton of oxide (guess I've been negligent as I haven't looked there in some time). Then I pulled the boot-YIKES, another half ton of oxide! So a search of the parts fiche could not locate front master cylinder anywhere!? Finally found it under levers and handlebars section. $532-EGADS! Well, maybe rebuilding is in my future and a (Magura)kit is ordered-$60. Q1-after removing the piston is there anything other than the old eyeball and fingertip assessment of the cylinder? Q2-is honing SOP? Q3-the BBY site has a flag saying that due to legal action , from BMW, they will no longer offer those kits. WTF? Is this just BMW corporate b.s. or is there some real issues? Ride on, b
p.s. brakes are good and firm

Last edited:
Go check Beemer Boneyard. I just picked up a Magura rebuild kit for the '95 GS' front master cylinder for about $65.

Go check Beemer Boneyard. I just picked up a Magura rebuild kit for the '95 GS' front master cylinder for about $65.

Grabbed one, but am wondering about the flag they posted about not selling them (after stock runs out) due to legal action from BMW. Whats that about? Anyone?

Magura is only supposed to sell to BMW (per agreement)
They started to sell to others and BMW threatened to sue.
The same issue happened with 1150 clutch slave cylinders.

$532-EGADS! Well, maybe rebuilding is in my future and a (Magura)kit is ordered-$60. Q1-after removing the piston is there anything other than the old eyeball and fingertip assessment of the cylinder? Q2-is honing SOP? Q3-the BBY site has a flag saying that due to legal action , from BMW, they will no longer offer those kits. WTF? Is this just BMW corporate b.s. or is there some real issues? Ride on, p.s. brakes are good and firm

I just went through something similar and was shocked to find the entire master cylinder assembly for a Honda is available for $17, new cylinder, lever, reservoir, and bar clamp.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132631661891?hash=item1ee1768d43:g:K70AAOSwR-RgAKv7

Not sure why the huge price difference but it is depressing. No wonder BMW doesn’t want their suppliers to sell direct...

I just went through something similar and was shocked to find the entire master cylinder assembly for a Honda is available for $17, new cylinder, lever, reservoir, and bar clamp..

I would be surprised if that part were a legitimate Nissin master cylinder.

I would be surprised if that part were a legitimate Nissin master cylinder.

Bingo! The description says, "This is a brand new aftermarket Brake Master Cylinder
Fits Models: Honda GoldWing GL1000 GL1100 GL1200 GL1500 GL1800"

I'm not sure the significance though.

But, I just looked up what a master cylinder would be for my '04 Chevy Colorado. $35 to $50 from several sources. And BMW wants something a bit north of $500. That is why I always change brake fluid in my BMWs and not so much in my cars or trucks.

Back