• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New owner in Northern MI

fastwheels

Hello all,

Just took delivery of a '21 R1250RT last week. Have come close to buying several Beemers over the years - from an R100 20+ years ago, K1300 about 10 years ago, F800GT a couple of years ago. Never happened until last week. Previous 2 bikes were ST1300 and Trophy SE. Love the RT! Only 220 miles on it so far, but more to come.

I recently moved up to Traverse city, MI - hope to find other riders up here to explore the fun back roads in the area.

Hey Mr Fastest Wheel in the U.P.!

Close Don't Count unless you're playing Horseshoes or Hand Grenades!

Glad U finally got off the fence! Enjoy your bestest BMW ever! :lol

Ciao, HSV-Phil + HSV-Karen

14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S -- '82 R100CS
- - - - - - - -'16 R1200RS

Creation-story.jpeg

I'm about 100 miles south of the bridge - so technically I am a troll. I have ridden in the UP a few times so perhaps that makes me an honorary Yooper... The ride around Lake Superior is excellent - go in early June when there are still icebergs in Keweenaw Bay.

Welcome Doug! How are you liking the RT? Being a Honda aficionado, I used to lust after the ST1300. However, the more research I did, the more it became evident the RT was the bike for me.
Pics of the new bike are always appreciated.

I've been through the Tunnel of Trees a couple of times on my RT and walked on the Sleeping Bear Dunes. Fine country up there. My wife's cousins grew up in Alpena. Very nice people up there!

Welcome to the club and Forum!

Welcome Doug! How are you liking the RT? Being a Honda aficionado, I used to lust after the ST1300. However, the more research I did, the more it became evident the RT was the bike for me.
Pics of the new bike are always appreciated.

The ST was a good bike - jewel of an engine, but in 2014 (mine was a 2007) I wanted an updated bike with Bluetooth, newer IP, electronic suspension, etc. The ST was almost unchanged from a decade prior except the price had increased. I bought a Triumph Trophy SE which had all the current technology and features and proved to be a great bike. Fast forward to this year and the same calculus applied except this time I wanted a lighter bike - the Triumph was 720 with a full tank and panniers w/o the top case. Since Triumph do not make a sport-touring bike anymore, I considered several of the adventure bikes - 1290 Super Duke GT, MV Turismo-Veloce, Tiger 950 Pro, V4 MultiStrada, S1000XR. However, as someone with short legs I found I could not get my feet down properly on any of those. The RT was heavier than I wanted, but with the low seat I can get acceptable connection to the ground - not flat footed, but better than the ADV bikes.

With just under 600 miles on it now, I am very happy with it.
20210417_175904253_sm.jpg

Looks like you've got the Adaptive Cruise Control. Did they put the TPMS and Radio on your bike, or did the shortage of chips keep them off? If they didn't make it, did BMW compensate you in any way?

I like the color a lot and the giant "RT" graphic on the front panels looks terrific!

Happy riding!

JG

Looks like you've got the Adaptive Cruise Control. Did they put the TPMS and Radio on your bike, or did the shortage of chips keep them off? If they didn't make it, did BMW compensate you in any way?

JG

Thanks John. The Adaptive Cruise works pretty well - I probably won't use it very often but it will be handy while riding on the interstates (which I rarely do). No TPMS or radio - they gave me 2 BMW (Sena) comm units and the bike-to-bike unit - none of which I need. I will probably try to sell them at some point soon...

The color is somewhat metallic and looks great. I was torn between that and white, but with the scarcity of RTs at dealers last month I took the first one that was available since I needed to get it broken in prior to my trip down to the Windy 9 later this month. I'm glad the blue was available...

Other members have said that the Sena units are your compensation for no radio & TPMS.

As to the blue color, I saw one at BMW of Cambridge, MA yesterday. It’s fantastic! The sales manager there told me it’s the hot color for new RTs.

Back