Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hand gestures and motorcycles do they go together?

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    I heard somewhere the number one complaint by consumers regarding their cars was the tech stuff. The more high tech wiz bang stuff added the more to go wrong. That is with cars, why would anyone riding motorcycles want to go down that path as well?

I will stick with my airheads at least with them I don't have to visit the dealership to fix a problem with my GPS or bluetooth. St.
    One need not just stick with Airheads to avoid the problems of too much "tech" stuff. The Klassik K bikes have fuel injection but are dead stone reliable. The Oilheads have some tech features but no goofy stuff. Many of the F and G models are not overtechified.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 04-21-2021 at 12:49 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

From the article:

Modern motorcycles come with an array of features and settings that take attention away from the road when engaging them the patent from BMW will combat this and allow riders to cycle through settings, rider-aids, and adjustments by simply using a finger gesture.
    The stated goal is to reduce distraction. This won't help. Any multi-step adjustment to any system on the bike is going to cause the rider to lose focus on his riding momentarily while he performs the steps. This is true regardless of whether the controls are physical knobs, buttons, and switches, or whether they're virtual via hand gestures.

Simple one-step actions like activating or canceling a turn signal don't require much thought and don't affect the rider's mental concentration. Most all the other actions ought to wait until the bike is parked.

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    I will stick with my airheads at least with them I don't have to visit the dealership to fix a problem with my GPS or bluetooth. St.
    Wait, what? The bluetooth on YOUR airheads works? The bluetooth on MY airheads has never worked!
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by jad01 View Post
    Wait, what? The bluetooth on YOUR airheads works? The bluetooth on MY airheads has never worked!
    You used the wrong tooth brush. You needed the blue one.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    You used the wrong tooth brush. You needed the blue one.
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

dealer

Oh bother, I don't have a dealer to take my bike to and the now closed dealer wouldn't work on it as it was too old. Thank goodness I don't have all the high tech dealer only repair stuff on my little bike. St.

TravelsWithBarley.com
    I have a 2012 GSA and a 2018 GSA. I enjoy them both, but have more confidence in the 2012. Of all the electronic gadgetry on the newer bike, the only thing I truly appreciate is cruise control, but the bike came packaged with much more than that. TFT is easy to read, but goes blank with annoying regularity. Keyless addressed an issue I didn't know existed. Ditto with Hill Assist. The WonderWheel is a distraction that requires me to navigate through a menu to (for example) dial down my Clearwater lights where on the 2012 I just turned a small knob without taking my eyes off the road. I read reports of others with keyless ignition being unable to open their tanks to refuel and wonder if that will happen to me far from home.

This push toward ever more complicated electronic "features" will likely push me to keep the 2012 and trade in the 2018 on a more basic bike.

Pete
    '18 R1200GSA for solo rides
    '12 R1200GSA with Hannigan sidecar for rides with Glenlivet

http://travelswithbarley.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rogerc60 View Post
    From the article:

The stated goal is to reduce distraction. This won't help. Any multi-step adjustment to any system on the bike is going to cause the rider to lose focus on his riding momentarily while he performs the steps. This is true regardless of whether the controls are physical knobs, buttons, and switches, or whether they're virtual via hand gestures.

Simple one-step actions like activating or canceling a turn signal don't require much thought and don't affect the rider's mental concentration. Most all the other actions ought to wait until the bike is parked.
    I don't think they would include direct actions buttons like turn signals or kill switch but I get your point, adjusting the seat temp or flipping through settings can wait till you stop. However, the multiplication of buttons, a la Goldwing, can be just as confusing.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT