• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hand gestures and motorcycles do they go together?

dealer

Oh bother, I don't have a dealer to take my bike to and the now closed dealer wouldn't work on it as it was too old. Thank goodness I don't have all the high tech dealer only repair stuff on my little bike. St.

I have a 2012 GSA and a 2018 GSA. I enjoy them both, but have more confidence in the 2012. Of all the electronic gadgetry on the newer bike, the only thing I truly appreciate is cruise control, but the bike came packaged with much more than that. TFT is easy to read, but goes blank with annoying regularity. Keyless addressed an issue I didn't know existed. Ditto with Hill Assist. The WonderWheel is a distraction that requires me to navigate through a menu to (for example) dial down my Clearwater lights where on the 2012 I just turned a small knob without taking my eyes off the road. I read reports of others with keyless ignition being unable to open their tanks to refuel and wonder if that will happen to me far from home.

This push toward ever more complicated electronic "features" will likely push me to keep the 2012 and trade in the 2018 on a more basic bike.

Pete

From the article:

The stated goal is to reduce distraction. This won't help. Any multi-step adjustment to any system on the bike is going to cause the rider to lose focus on his riding momentarily while he performs the steps. This is true regardless of whether the controls are physical knobs, buttons, and switches, or whether they're virtual via hand gestures.

Simple one-step actions like activating or canceling a turn signal don't require much thought and don't affect the rider's mental concentration. Most all the other actions ought to wait until the bike is parked.
I don't think they would include direct actions buttons like turn signals or kill switch but I get your point, adjusting the seat temp or flipping through settings can wait till you stop. However, the multiplication of buttons, a la Goldwing, can be just as confusing.

Back