Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Hand gestures and motorcycles do they go together?

  1. #1
    Registered User REDC650GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    348

    Hand gestures and motorcycles do they go together?


  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spartanburg SC
    Posts
    171
    That wasn't the hand gesture that I expected!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Hillsdale, NY
    Posts
    82
    I guess I am not really a fan of this.

    What's so hard about pushing a button?

    And when something stops working properly, then what?

    SPP

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpokepete View Post
    I guess I am not really a fan of this.

    What's so hard about pushing a button?

    And when something stops working properly, then what?

    SPP
    Fix it?
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Hillsdale, NY
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerreece View Post
    Fix it?
    Might be easier said than done is all I was saying.

    SPP

  6. #6
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,838
    I'd rather just have illuminated switches.

    I don't need power adjusted mirrors on my motorcycle. I only move mine once or twice a year and I do that while stopped.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  7. #7
    MOA #24991 Pauls1150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,013
    All the "high-tech" and "must-have" goodies (at additional cost) create another problem...

    So they come up with more high-tech and must-have goodies, at additional cost, to alleviate it?

  8. #8
    '14 R1200 GS Adv bigjohnsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Black Hills, SD
    Posts
    617
    No! Just NO!
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

    Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

  9. #9
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    4,202
    I hate to be That Guy.... but BMW seems to have gone down the same route with bikes as they did with their cars a few years ago. I can only hope that the reliability for which the bikes were famed does not follow what happened to the cars.

  10. #10
    Registered User easy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    1,290
    Hopefully, it will come with an off switch.

  11. #11
    Registered User STEVENRANKIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Spencerport, NY
    Posts
    984

    Seems to me

    I heard somewhere the number one complaint by consumers regarding their cars was the tech stuff. The more high tech wiz bang stuff added the more to go wrong. That is with cars, why would anyone riding motorcycles want to go down that path as well?

    I will stick with my airheads at least with them I don't have to visit the dealership to fix a problem with my GPS or bluetooth. St.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Corralitos, CA - Santa Cruz County
    Posts
    242
    I am inventing gloves that are like mittens so the only thing you can do is wave, shake your fist, or do the Spock "live long and prosper" gesture
    Signature

  13. #13
    So taking your hands off the throttle or clutch to do some wonky gymnastics with your hand/finger (while wearing gloves) to trigger some switch? Yeah, that is going to be convenient. I sometimes wonder if they incorporate more technology just to torture me/us. Just my $0.02 worth, YMMV.

  14. #14
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,963
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    I am inventing gloves that are like mittens so the only thing you can do is wave, shake your fist, or do the Spock "live long and prosper" gesture
    Aerostich and others have beaten you to the punch, at least with wet-weather gear:
    442_2ha_b_orange.-v2jpg.jpg

    Conveniently designed so you can still salute errant cagers with the middle finger(s).

    Gesture-activated controls are common in computing and handheld devices, but that's an entirely different domain than a motorcycle speeding down the highway. I really wish the bright young engineers at BMW would tumble to the fact that while gadgetry is neat and impressive, continued execution of the basics with precision and reliability is what sells in the long run. Perhaps their attention could be turned to assuring we don't see any more failing fuel gauges, broken driveshafts and final drives, brakes that don't get recalled before they are even sold, and valve trains that don't self-destruct from failed metallurgy. I'd take all of that, or even part of it, over any new whiz-bang technology they can turn out.
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Corralitos, CA - Santa Cruz County
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Aerostich and others have beaten you to the punch, at least with wet-weather gear:
    442_2ha_b_orange.-v2jpg.jpg

    Conveniently designed so you can still salute errant cagers with the middle finger(s).

    Gesture-activated controls are common in computing and handheld devices, but that's an entirely different domain than a motorcycle speeding down the highway. I really wish the bright young engineers at BMW would tumble to the fact that while gadgetry is neat and impressive, continued execution of the basics with precision and reliability is what sells in the long run. Perhaps their attention could be turned to assuring we don't see any more failing fuel gauges, broken driveshafts and final drives, brakes that don't get recalled before they are even sold, and valve trains that don't self-destruct from failed metallurgy. I'd take all of that, or even part of it, over any new whiz-bang technology they can turn out.
    Nice. All my ideas are too late
    Signature

Similar Threads

  1. RTP Right hand Switch
    By Motor unit 7 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 12:59 PM
  2. Secret warning signs/gestures
    By Guenther in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-14-2010, 05:01 PM
  3. I'd like to see more than my hand...
    By KCinSB in forum Flying Brick K-bikes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM
  4. on the other hand
    By SPACEDOG in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-14-2008, 11:57 PM
  5. Its getting out of hand
    By jdiaz in forum Airheads
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-14-2006, 01:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •