Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: R1150GS Suspension Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by wanjman View Post
    Can anyone here offer some first hand experience that can justify such an expense? The OEM shocks are not blown and I do realize there are no fine adjustments such as rebound rate etc... and I don't want to be loaded up with the weight panniers and gear and have the shocks blow out 2000 miles from home, but the cost to go to a set of Ohlins or just about any other reputable shock is OUTRAGEOUS! Please offer me some advice.
    I just sold my 2000 R1150GS with 125k miles. When I bought it new the first thing I did was to put on the best suspension I could afford... Ohlins. Nothing will make your bike go faster than premium suspension, imo.

There are lower-cost options than Ohlins, and they are of good value. Be sure you can get them rebuilt, that they are sprung to your weight with gear + the amount of gear you haul. When you install, be certain to set the sag front and rear as shown in the instructions.

Considering I have rebuilt my Ohlins 3X for a total of $1200, it was an approximately $2600 investment (they were cheaper 20 years ago, go figger!). Replacing three sets of stock shocks (even if they don't leak, they clap out... lose their damping performance) would have greatly exceeded that amount.

And... "freshly rebuilt Ohlins" was a selling point. I gave the new owner my original stock shocks in the deal... I only used them when the Ohlins were being rebuilt.

Ian

Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom || '19 CB500X

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    If you had never heard that aftermarket shocks were available would you have thought the bike might "need" different shocks?
    Agee.....you don’t need new shocks. The chance of them failing is small. As to first hand experience....never underestimate the placebo effect. Results of suspension changes are hard to quantify for street riding. Not so power upgrades. People report “seat of the pants “ improvement after exhaust/mapping modifications-only to be told differently by dyno readings.

Quote Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
    Agee.....you don’t need new shocks. The chance of them failing is small. As to first hand experience....never underestimate the placebo effect. Results of suspension changes are hard to quantify for street riding. Not so power upgrades. People report “seat of the pants “ improvement after exhaust/mapping modifications-only to be told differently by dyno readings.
    Does not apply to pooched stock shocks.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bogdan View Post
    ...never underestimate the value of quality suspension components.
    Made a slight change to the above quote.

The deterioration of shock performance takes place over many km/miles until one day you try to make a maneuver that you've done many times and the bike doesn't cooperate has it has in the past. That's your first hint that perhaps its time to invest in your motorcycle.