Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: R1150GS Suspension Upgrade

R1150GS Suspension Upgrade

I am considering an upgrade to my 03' R1150 GS Sport Suspension. It currently has 34k miles, I plan on keeping the bike 4 ever. I ride solo and I ride 80/20 street/ dirt roads. Nothing considered off road. I am planning a long trip, maybe out to Yosemite from NY. I just can not justify spending $1800 on a pair of shocks to upgrade to stock suspension. Can anyone here offer some first hand experience that can justify such an expense? The OEM shocks are not blown and I do realize there are no fine adjustments such as rebound rate etc... and I don't want to be loaded up with the weight panniers and gear and have the shocks blow out 2000 miles from home, but the cost to go to a set of Ohlins or just about any other reputable shock is OUTRAGEOUS! Please offer me some advice.

Quote Originally Posted by wanjman View Post
    I am considering an upgrade to my 03' R1150 GS Sport Suspension. It currently has 34k miles, I plan on keeping the bike 4 ever. I ride solo and I ride 80/20 street/ dirt roads. Nothing considered off road. I am planning a long trip, maybe out to Yosemite from NY. I just can not justify spending $1800 on a pair of shocks to upgrade to stock suspension. Can anyone here offer some first hand experience that can justify such an expense? The OEM shocks are not blown and I do realize there are no fine adjustments such as rebound rate etc... and I don't want to be loaded up with the weight panniers and gear and have the shocks blow out 2000 miles from home, but the cost to go to a set of Ohlins or just about any other reputable shock is OUTRAGEOUS! Please offer me some advice.
    If you had never heard that aftermarket shocks were available would you have thought the bike might "need" different shocks?
    Signature

I couldn't believe what a difference good shocks made on a bike. After buying new for one of my bikes about three years ago I have replaced the shocks on five of my other bikes. They improve the handling so much you wish you had done it when you first bought the bike. If you can still get Ohlin's I would they are the best, Have them now on four of my BMW's. Another thing about the investment if you want to sell them used later you can get most of your money back. I've found to be a wise investment making the bike much more enjoyable to ride. I'd contact David at, https://www.fastbikeindustries.com/home-1.html

What's the cheapest thing on a BMW? The owner!
    02 R1150R ABS, 04 R1150R, 05 R1100S BCR, 16 S1000XR

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by wanjman View Post
    I am considering an upgrade to my 03' R1150 GS Sport Suspension. It currently has 34k miles, I plan on keeping the bike 4 ever.
    If you plan on keeping it "4 ever" then investing in decent suspension is a good, uh, investment.

My 04 GSA owes me nothing

I bought my 04 GSA new for what I to this day think it was a GREAT DEAL and am very happy. It has 35,000 on the old ticker (30 bikes to ride including 4 R 9 T's) but I'm starting to get a little picky about its behavior when I do take it out for a proper ride. If you like the bike but the ride is not much fun you have to decide if the bikes a keeper or one that goes away, let the next owner fix the rough suspension issues would be the question. I'll wait a little longer before I upgrade the 04 GSA ride but when I do I think I'm just going to contact Ted Porter at the Bemmer shop for his opinion on what to do. DISCLAIMER: No affiliation or business dealings with Ted Porter, I have only heard good about his business here.

Ted Porter is a good resource also. I've bought shocks for two of my bikes from the Beemer Shop.
    02 R1150R ABS, 04 R1150R, 05 R1100S BCR, 16 S1000XR

Thumbs up Ted Porter is an excellent source for motorcycle suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Ted Porter is a good resource also. I've bought shocks for two of my bikes from the Beemer Shop.
    I went with the TracTive suspension as per Teds recommendation. What an excellent upgrade.

cheaper?

I went with Porter's Beemer shop for my road bike which I do not even take to the track etc. If you don't subject the bike to serious off road, they might have an option closer to 1400 bucks. If you buy, there are good advice threads here on DIY install.

Years ago I put Ohlins on my '00GS.
    They were sprung to my weight (220#) and my typical riding loading.
    (The stock shocks are sprung to a 170# rider)
    They transformed the bike. Worth the investment.
    Never regretted spending the money.
    They have been rebuilt 3 times and I'm still riding on them.

Sidenote: Front tires do not cup at higher mileage like they did with the stock shock.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

I notice on Ohlin's site they don't list the R1100R, just the S
    Is that the end of the road as far as that line goes?

Shocking, Lowering & Drops

Can I follow on?? I have a 2002 R1150GS recently bought that I have dropped twice: starting and stopping on inclines as I'm getting back to riding after a 45 year hiatus. I'm 66 yrs old, 5'6", 205lbs and I bought a set of HyperPro Combo Lowering Springs after researching online and calling EPM Performance, He said these would Lower the bike about an inch. It's on Soft, Low, Pre-Load, now. I'm also considering getting the "OEM LOW" Seat cut down & narrowed so I can get more of my foot down to balance the bike, instead of just toes. I also have only 36k miles on the OEM shocks that seem ok, except one top bushing is starting to crack. It's really tough to DIY these springs too! I'll pbly have to go to FastBike anyway to the change out.
    I also thinking of getting some Ohlins from FastBike as they're near me in NC, but Geez the Cost. Others are worse, especially HyperPro.
    > Can I get Ohlins to fit my HyperPro Springs? Website doesn't show & no answer from the Contact email..
    > Any advice on the HyperPro Springs AND the Ohlins? Should I buy a set of springs and shocks all in one and send back the HyperPros?

RK Ryder
    If the Ohlins are too pricey new, spend some time on the used parts sites, as they often appear greatly reduced. I was lucky a few years ago to buy an unused front Ohlins shock for about half price on our Marketplace as the guy bought a different BMW model before doing the install. Fortunately I got a deal from Ohlins for the rear shock at a RA Rally, which included the install of both pieces.

The rebuild is certainly far more reasonable than eventually replacing with OEM.

Cheers!
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinsc View Post
    If you had never heard that aftermarket shocks were available would you have thought the bike might "need" different shocks?
    Depends on your weight, luggage and right wrist. BMWs seem to come stock anticipating an under 200lb rider thatís light on the throttle and, in the case of the GS, only rides off-pavement on graded gravel roads.

Imo, nothing improves a bikeís performance more than premium suspension that is properly set up for your riding style.

Ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '00 1150 GS || '07 Xchallenge || '13 CB500X || '14 Grom || '19 CB500X

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Imo, nothing improves a bikeís performance more than premium suspension that is properly set up for your riding style.

Ian
    +1

I put Elka shocks on my GSA after a couple of years ownership. Best modification I did on the bike. Unfortunately, Elka no longer makes bike shocks, but there are lots of other options. I think the 1150's had really poor suspension from the factory - later BMW's I have ridden seem to be better suspended.
    2005 R1150 GSA Bumblebee

I picked up a recently rebuilt set of Wilber shocks on the MOA Marketplace probably 5+ years ago.
    Look around for used if cost is an issue, esp. since they are rebuildable.
    Even I noticed the difference.
    This on an RT.
    I sent the rear to Ted Porter to re-spring for my weight.
    Well worth it.