• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The "any iron butt'ers here?" thread gave me an idea. Need some voices of experience

rick601

The "any iron butt'ers here?" thread gave me an idea. Need some voices of experience

I really appreciated that thread- not because I have, or ever had, the urge to do an IB but because it's maybe solved a problem for me. Because of a medical concern (my wife, not me) my usual three week trip with my son will be shortened to about 10 days. we were originally going to try the great river route south however far- we kinda ditched that idea-Three weeks was plenty of time- ten days is pushing it. the straightest route to the Mississippi from upstate NY is like 1067 miles. BUT if we put 800-1000 miles at each end of the trip. that'll leave us 7-8 days to explore the river...maybe down one side and up the other or diagonal home from south. We usually avoid interstates but this could salvage our original idea- we just use the interstate for it's intended purpose- get from here to there quickly. So one question that comes to mind is how much does that 800-1000 take out of you...I mean after a good nights sleep are you good to travel- enjoy the actual vacation as it were? I'm old he's young we're both in decent shape. I've done maybe 650-700 mile days but that included secondary roads and late starts (LOL). Any thoughts? Sitting at my computer I just go-"yeah 1000 miles day one and ten" as if saying is as easy as doing. Am I crazy? wait- let me rephrase that- all things being equal does that seem viable, caveats? thoughts?

How much time do you have until the "trip"? Could you and your son pick a destination using interstates and ride the distances you are considering. Grab a hotel...or make the reservation ahead of time...crash for the night then hang in the local area for the day. On day 3, repeat the trip back home. See how you're able to handle that.

Or better yet, pick point 500 miles out and make the round interstate trip to get back home. How do you feel the next day?

Good plan, Kurt!

I was amazed at how good I felt the first time I did a "Saddle Sore". It's different for everyone.

Voni
sMiling

On Monday I have a 927 km ride to get the ferry, another long day of rocks and trees.

On my way to TN for the rally I ended up doing 4x900 km days in a row on my R65 that I'd never ridden more than 3 hours at a time before that. Not the most comfortable but definitely doable.

Great suggestions; other wrinkles make a shakedown cruise not feasible. I did however have ANOTHER epiphany on awakening. I'm 'concerned" about the very things that my style of motorcycling make unnecessary. while we plan our trips, nothing is written in stone. The beauty of our trips is our flexibility- camp, motels, cities, change of plans, We could AIM for Davenport Ia. on day one and decide to stop in East Aurora NY instead (Great arts and crafts movement mecca) or Elkhart In. trailer and RV museum (been there done that- great place) OR push to Davenport if we are feeling up to it! I like to have a first night plan but even that is negotiable, or a plan "B" would suffice. Truth be told, yes, I'd like to get some distance accomplished, I anticipated a southern trip and have geared up for hot weather, but even that comes with contingency plans (I bring the light electric jacket for under the mesh and a RAK moskomoto pullover for rain/wind. So while I'm still curious about heavy distance on day one, my angst level just dropped about 90%. Sometimes I gotta remind myself of WHY I do these trips and WHAT'S important about them.

1,000 miles one day, then more the next is hard to do unless you are well rested and trained in for it. I have ridden many 800 mile days but I did an 1,100 mile day one trip and it was doable, but I was tired. Also on the way back after 5-6 days of screwing around I would be tired so a 1,000 mile day going home doesn't seem reasonable. I would do a couple 500's, do the rest of the trip how ever you like, sounds pretty leisurely, then do two 500's on the way home.

Also, 1,000 miles days are not very sociable. Ride, buy gas, pee and repeat. No time to sit and visit at gas stops. Plus, one person can do it faster than two as you will visit for a couple minutes at every stop and it adds up. Both riders need to be disciplined. With 500 mile days you and your son can relax and B.S at stops or take a little side adventure, stop at some old car museum or some other point of interest and not feel real pressed for time.

https://ironbutt.org/25tips.html - The 25 tips page is VERY good and will cover everything I could think of when it comes to preparing for your ride if it's one day or one week, these tips are very good to follow. Pushing yourself beyond limits you may not know you have can be dangerous. Making it to a hotel is never worth risking your life over. Tomorrow is always another day to ride.

Best of luck! I've done 1000+ mile days 4 times in the last 4 years and I think only once did I wake up and do another 300 miles the next day and it really really really sucked. But that's my limit, yours may be higher.

1,000 miles one day, then more the next is hard to do unless you are well rested and trained in for it. I have ridden many 800 mile days but I did an 1,100 mile day one trip and it was doable, but I was tired. Also on the way back after 5-6 days of screwing around I would be tired so a 1,000 mile day going home doesn't seem reasonable. I would do a couple 500's, do the rest of the trip how ever you like, sounds pretty leisurely, then do two 500's on the way home.

Also, 1,000 miles days are not very sociable. Ride, buy gas, pee and repeat. No time to sit and visit at gas stops. Plus, one person can do it faster than two as you will visit for a couple minutes at every stop and it adds up. Both riders need to be disciplined. With 500 mile days you and your son can relax and B.S at stops or take a little side adventure, stop at some old car museum or some other point of interest and not feel real pressed for time.

Sounds good...thanks

Great suggestions; other wrinkles make a shakedown cruise not feasible. I did however have ANOTHER epiphany on awakening. I'm 'concerned" about the very things that my style of motorcycling make unnecessary. while we plan our trips, nothing is written in stone. The beauty of our trips is our flexibility- camp, motels, cities, change of plans, We could AIM for Davenport Ia. on day one and decide to stop in East Aurora NY instead (Great arts and crafts movement mecca) or Elkhart In. trailer and RV museum (been there done that- great place) OR push to Davenport if we are feeling up to it! I like to have a first night plan but even that is negotiable, or a plan "B" would suffice. Truth be told, yes, I'd like to get some distance accomplished, I anticipated a southern trip and have geared up for hot weather, but even that comes with contingency plans (I bring the light electric jacket for under the mesh and a RAK moskomoto pullover for rain/wind. So while I'm still curious about heavy distance on day one, my angst level just dropped about 90%. Sometimes I gotta remind myself of WHY I do these trips and WHAT'S important about them.

If you were to "push to Davenport" from Elkhart, IN you would likely have to go thru Chicago mid to late afternoon to make Davenport. I would look at alternatives to that. Chicago at rush hour is not the place to ride on the downside of a 1,000 mile day. Just my .02 cent observation. Stay safe.

If you were to "push to Davenport" from Elkhart, IN you would likely have to go thru Chicago mid to late afternoon to make Davenport. I would look at alternatives to that. Chicago at rush hour is not the place to ride on the downside of a 1,000 mile day. Just my .02 cent observation. Stay safe.

No. There’s a straight shot from Cooperstown to Davenport that stays well south of chitown. I just mentioned Elkhart cause it was a cool museum!

Unsure of your route along the Mississippi but much of it is now levee, so often you are far from it and it is invisible.

Unsure of your route along the Mississippi but much of it is now levee, so often you are far from it and it is invisible.

Yeah- last time we were in Clarksdale Mississippi we're like "where the hell is the river?" Hannibal Ms on the other hand- no question. We'll use several resources- There's actually a "great River Road" map compliments of experiencemississippiriver.com for a general idea but my go to overview of sights and towns is my fat "road Trip USA" by Jamie Jensen. Dated but useful for finding secondary routes as well as interesting sights and towns- often overlooked and obscure. Though it's two pounds of book only a small section of which I use, but I can't bring myself to cannibalize it for the sections we want on a particular trip. Im as interested in a town the river has coursed aweay from as I am in the cultures affected by a river that may not be visible for much of the trip. It's a concept...LOL

I have run the Mississippi from Minnesota to Cape Gerardo. There is not many places you can see the Mississippi, but it was still a fun trip! One of the high lights was watching a tog and a group of barges navigate some locks. He had more barges that would fit through the lock so there was a lot of shuffling going on.

How bout a trailer?

Might I suggest a trailer, save wear and tear on your bottom and bike components slab miles easier in a car and your frame of mind for riding will be different when you get there and you will have some comfort on the trip home.

Chris

Might I suggest a trailer, save wear and tear on your bottom and bike components slab miles easier in a car and your frame of mind for riding will be different when you get there and you will have some comfort on the trip home.

Chris

another option, though thanks to the tenor of responses as well as my inclinations, I'm coming to the decision to do what we can in the time allotted, not set overly ambitious goals, stay in my comfort zone, try to enjoy the high mileage (whatever number that is) days as much as the moderate and no mileage days. Day one will be superslab as well as part of day two...then a leisurely ride south - jumping on and off faster and slower roads. It is what it is and rather than see the constraints I should be grateful for a wife who sees the importance of this to me and is willing to keep the home fires burning at not inconsiderable inconvenience to her (vision issues and doesn't drive!) I'm a lucky man!

Back