• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Filter removal tool

DENKAR55

I own a 2015 R1200GSA. I am looking for an affordable wrench to do my oil changes. Does anyone have any ideas where I can purchase one?
Thank you ahead of time!
Dennis

I have used this type for years on anything from boats to trucks/cars and bikes.. Never encountered a filter that didn't come off...
https://www.amazon.com/ATD-5208-Strap-Type-Filter-Wrench/dp/B000OUZBTQ

The strap tool that RIDERR1150GSADV mentions should work just fine for the OP bike.

Here is another style that will work on our WetHead series that I use with great success.
https://tinyurl.com/yssfnxuk

I remove the plastic covers on the 3 arms to get metal to metal contact with the jaws.
This version works whether your filter has different numbers of flats that are on the several versions of filters available from OEM/Mahle/whomever.

This type is not usable for torquing the filter ON to the 11Nm spec. Most times following filter manufactures recommendations of turning 1/2 to 3/4 turn after filter gasket contact is slightly more than 11Nm anyway, so putting the filter on by hand works without any tools.

I looked at these yesterday and think Paul is correct.

I don't think that will fit into the location of the oil filter. It certainly won't with Oilhead or classic K bike filters.

I purchased a new wet head recently and of course the original filter from the factory was different then the Mahle I have used on my previous bikes. So I thought I could use a strap filter wrench and the auto parts store had that type of wrench. I don’t think it would fit in there to be able to turn the filter. I did use the old style filter wrench with the smallest diameter I could find and stuffed some additional friction material in there to take up some of the slack remaining in the wrench and it came off fairly easily. Fortunately, I was able to use the cap wrench from Beemer boneyard to torque the new filter to spec.

Good luck

Chris

My trusty 18 yr. old cap wrench has fit every filter I ever used, Mahle from BB or BMW from a dealer, but on the new 20 no go. WTF? So did get it off and back the the Mahle type. I don't understand why a factory new filter would differ.

Back