• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT Windshield Up Versus Down

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
On a recent trip to Florida, I gained at least 2 MPG by lowering the aftermarket 21.5" windshield. Another bennie is, with FF helmet, the air is cleaner (less turbulence) with the windshield down. By up and down, I actually mean tilted forward versus tilted backward. With the shield down, the air vent in the helmet also works better. So I cannot think of one benefit or having the windshield up, other than if riding in cold temps.

I have always ridden Airhead RTs with windshield up, including the two previous ones. Pretty sure I remember why: with the 1/2 of 3/4 helmets I used to wear, and the RT windshield down, the air would catch under the helmet shield and pull it backward, and make the helmet strap choke me. Nowadays I ride only with FF helmet, so that is a non issue. Pretty sure the RT's windshield will be staying down, at least till next winter.

Last edited:
up or down

I ride in the cold and rainy days with the shield up on my RT and in the hot humid days down. As for helmet noise, I don't really notice any difference as I am nearly deaf and don't ride with my hearing aids in, ear plugs instead. St.

Windshield in the up position might be more beneficial to a pillion passenger. :dunno I have a fixed windshield Lufty fairing and tend not to have passengers on the back. :whistle

Lufty Fairing

Windshield in the up position might be more beneficial to a pillion passenger. :dunno I have a fixed windshield Lufty fairing and tend not to have passengers on the back. :whistle

I had a Lufty fairing, with lowers, on the 78 R100/7 SPECIAL back in the day. Loved it. Nowadays,I'd install a GoldWig type vent in the windshield for extra air in summer. I'd really like to have that old R100/7 back, but SPECIALs are extremely rare. Heck, even R100/7s are rare. I do not miss its brakes, or ping though.

Where did you go on the extra 12 miles per tank?

On a motorcycle any added luggage, bags, windshield, foot pegs and more will affect gas mileage. Go down a road on a BMW with instant MPG read out and stick you legs or arms out into the wind and the MPG will drop.

Myself, I have a larger that stock windshield on my 2018 RT and It is more or less up all the time on he highway. I don't care for the windblast. I will give up a couple MPG for comfort.

Last edited:
Nowadays,I'd install a GoldWig type vent in the windshield for extra air in summer.
I have one of those in the garage, and was thinking the exact same thing. Some blue tape and a dremel tool....
Just need to make sure the windshield's not too curved. But it doesn't look much more curved than a Wing.

I know this is Airheads, but on my 2018 RT I cut in a windshield vent and it makes no difference. I can't tell if it is open or closed other than looking at it.

I know this is Airheads, but on my 2018 RT I cut in a windshield vent and it makes no difference. I can't tell if it is open or closed other than looking at it.

Thank you VERY MUCH for that. Saved me from cutting a pointless hole in my screen.

Different style fairing, windshield closed, mounted to the fairing at the bottom. I believe it does work in your case.

You're Right, This Is Airheads

Yep, your 2018 is not an Airhead, and lotsa differences. I first installed a GoldWing vent in an RT Airhead in the late 1990s. It worked same as the one I installed in the current RT Airhead, and in GoldWings. The louvers in the vent scoop the air and direct it at mid / upper chest, and it is very noticeable. Not sure just cutting a hole in an Airhead windshield, as you did in your 2018, would work well either. But that ain't what I am talking about anyway.

Last edited:
Not Sure What You're Talking About

I believe it is due to the RT's windshield is open all around, air can come up under the font edge.
Not sure if you are talking about, your 2018 or a real Airhead. Airhead RT windshields are sealed at the bottom, unless it's an aftermarket with a vent slot in the lower edge, Parabellum I think.

Last edited:
Back